PDA

View Full Version : No Wonder I Couldn't Dial in my Carb

coolpool
10-25-2015, 04:20 PM
My 84 Big Red has been a solid runner but it just never performed great, good, but not great. Stalling, hesitating etc. Cleaned/adjusted the carb umpteen times. This has been going on for 5 years now. I decided to tackle it one more time and took the intake off the motor for no apparent reason. And there's my issue staring right back at me; a chunk of o-ring was missing allowing a small air leak. Well I'm happy to say she's running way better now. I can't believe I missed this all along:wondering

Flyingw
10-25-2015, 09:42 PM
That will do it!!!

onformula1
10-25-2015, 10:12 PM
My 84 Big Red has been a solid runner but it just never performed great, good, but not great. Stalling, hesitating etc. Cleaned/adjusted the carb umpteen times. This has been going on for 5 years now. I decided to tackle it one more time and took the intake off the motor for no apparent reason. And there's my issue staring right back at me; a chunk of o-ring was missing allowing a small air leak. Well I'm happy to say she's running way better now. I can't believe I missed this all along:wondering

You may want to get a can of starting fluid for your shop and check your sealing surfaces once in awhile, if the idle goes up you have a air leak.

It is not oily so does not make a mess.

shortline10
10-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Lesson learned . When doing carb service you start at the gas cap and go all the way to the manifold LOL .

El Camexican
10-26-2015, 12:55 AM
I hope you not one of those guys that fixed it by running a bead of silicon around the connection;)

6speedthumper
10-26-2015, 10:53 PM
I've seen that multiple times. Glad you found it.

coolpool
10-27-2015, 04:42 PM
I hope you not one of those guys that fixed it by running a bead of silicon around the connection;)

That's not the right way to do it? I prefer jb weld;-)