PDA

View Full Version : big red shaft drive engine swap

jakeesspoo
10-23-2015, 09:20 PM
I have a couple big red shaft drives. One has a good engine and the other a bad. I want to swap the engines as the dead bike is in much better shape. When I download the manual from Oscar Mayer it shows a shaft drive bike but the engine removal shows and describes a chain drive. How difficult is pulling one of these engines? Is it pretty self explanatory disconnecting the motor from the shaft? Anything I should know? And how long SHOULD it take me to pull a motor out?

mendoAu
10-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Here's a thread you might want to read. Esp.the last couple of posts.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/175812-My-1984-200es-threw-a-shoe

mendoAu
10-24-2015, 03:15 PM
So I'll add a couple of things that you might want to consider. With the good engine out it would be a good time to replace anything like the head gasket cause you can't do it (removing the head) with the engine in. Any top end work like valves (when I had the head off I cleaned off the top of the piston, etc. and removed allot of carbon build-up) and checked all the moving parts. I also ended up removing the rear fenders that, as long as you don't lose any bolts, is pretty straight forward. I also took a bunch of pictures BEFORE removing anything so i had a referrance when re-installing everything. I'd pretty much bet I could remove this engine now that I don't have to wait for the PB Blaster to penetrate some of the nuts and bolts and know which wrenches/tools to have on hand, the compressor fired up and the air tools at hand could remove it in an hour +/- and the same for the install. Without being able to look over kbonly's shoulder to learn his secrets I will stick to the "rearend drop...and LEFT side removal" technique.

jakeesspoo
10-29-2015, 11:03 PM
Good posts that you mentioned but what are you guys referring to as "rear end drop" technique. I might give the right side removal a try

Legns
10-29-2015, 11:49 PM
I have done a few of these it is easy just take your time and lots of pics and you will do fine these are pretty simple machines.

oscarmayer
10-30-2015, 03:52 PM
it's not hard. you just unbolt the shaft 4 bolts then it slides off the motor when your taking the motor out.