PDA

View Full Version : Took a chance on this silencer what do you think?

phantomtracer
10-15-2015, 08:50 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/15/6b35c97826c11d7fc72261a303ac9aac.jpg

I won this on eBay, the description said it was for an 84-85 kxt. To me it looks like it might fit the 86-87 kxt. What do you think?
I can't find this silencer in the old mags, anyone have details about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tripledog
10-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Almost looks like it may be from a newer Chinese atv, dirt bike, or scooter.

barnett468
10-15-2015, 09:11 PM
that is definitely not for an 84/85 because the pipe was on the left side on the 84/85 and that is a right side silencer and if it is not a tecate silencer, it sure looks close enough that it could easily be modified to fit.

onformula1
10-15-2015, 09:13 PM
That's a old school Cobra MX, no spark arrestor they made a model just like it with a spark arrestor at the end of the core, but the overall length was longer by 3-4" if I remember correctly. Many of the longer silencers used two brackets as well.

I don't think they were manufactured by Cobra back then, many pipes and silencers are made by companies like Power Pro's and others to a company's spec's, it's very common which is why you see so many similar round or oval silencers. These companies do build a great product, but when you stopped by their shops they clearly didn't have the equipment for manufacturing so they just put their stickers on them.

If it fits that is a nice score, it should work great, besides there is not a ton of power to get out of a silencer, you pretty much have one or two core diameters per engine displacement, so that leaves just the length of the can.

Sometimes those internal snap rings can be fun to get out if they are gummed up.

barnett468
10-15-2015, 09:26 PM
you can still get them from dg . . if its going on your bike it would be easier to buy the dg one, plus it might cost you $50.00 just to anodize the used one so it looks nice.

https://www.dcvmx.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17769&cat=308&page=1

.................................................. .http://dirtoverstock.com/images/products/20-8212LG.jpg

onformula1
10-15-2015, 09:43 PM
I`m still running this on my 250r works great .

Nice, is that the steel version?

tecaterob
10-15-2015, 09:44 PM
to me it looks a little short..

onformula1
10-15-2015, 09:49 PM
Yeah it`s a cheapy long stinger .

Hey, steel is real.

I always liked the steel look, Bassani's always worked well in steel.

phantomtracer
10-16-2015, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't want to do anything to ruin the original graphics, otherwise it'd just look like the average aluminum slip-on. That era had a lot of bright and fun colors, especially when compared to the dark and dull colors of today and the angry insect look so many manufacturers seem to emulate with their vehicles.

Cleaning up that muck or paint from it would make it nice garage wall art until you're able to use it.

Yeah that graphic reminds me of the boom box era.
I really wanted a klem research or bassani but it was cheap enough to take a chance with.

Red Rider
10-16-2015, 11:19 PM
Yeah that graphic reminds me of the boom box era.Yep, looks like it came straight off of Damon Bradshaw's YZ.

nd4speed
10-17-2015, 12:49 AM
I saw that on ebay and did not realize it was bent the 86 way, I had to restrain from buying it cause I did not need it. If it is for 86 then I wish I would have scooped it up.

I just sent a KX500 1988 version to Australia, it was spark arrested and call the Hush Puppy by Skyway Cobra

I really liked the snap ring for dis-assembly and packing

I once saw a steel Cobra silencer on the most ragged out, crippled remnant of a Tecate I have ever seen. Dont remember it having any wheels or rear end. The one and only 86 I walked away from and did not buy. The only thing it had going for it was the silencer and maybe the frame. There was hardly anything left of it, and the guy kept telling me someone was one their way from Ohio and going to pay $500 for it. Not sure I really believed him but I left it for the poor soul driving all that way to buy it. Had to get to college and it was on my way.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m611/leprosy_larry/P1040199.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m611/leprosy_larry/P1040195.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/B54AAOSwv0tVIxQq/$_57.JPG

barnett468
10-17-2015, 06:44 PM
I really wanted a klem research or bassani but it was cheap enough to take a chance with.

You can email both harry and daryl and ask if the have any still laying around or if they will make one or tell you whom made them if they farmed that part out etc.

Harry phone (928) 763-5430 . . email groupklemm@aol.com

Bassani, ask for Daryl or ask in your email that it be forwarded t Daryl, if the ales rep doesn't now if there are still any around etc.

Phone 714-630-1821 . . email http://www.bassani.com/contact/

barnett468
10-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Harry no longer has the jig to make pipes for either model.

phantomtracer
10-17-2015, 10:57 PM
I spoke to Vintage Klem Research and they told me they still have all the porting dimensions for the national kit, but the pipes were made be Pro-Power and the should still have the pipe dimensions. I have read that pro-power is not interested in making old pipes so I gave up.

barnett468
10-17-2015, 11:12 PM
I spoke to Vintage Klem Research and they told me they still have all the porting dimensions for the national kit, but the pipes were made be Pro-Power and the should still have the pipe dimensions. I have read that pro-power is not interested in making old pipes so I gave up.

Well I actually emailed Harry directly maybe 3 months ago about making more pipes and he told me he no longer had the jig and I'm 99.999 certain that he made the pipe for my bike and Donnie's bike himself, and that there would really be no reason for him to farm it out to other people, so maybe the people you contacted were just thinking about the mfg he uses for the water craft stuff.

I also got kits handed to me directly by Harry and Dave Miller that they wanted me to test for another project, and I'm 99.999% sure they both made the pipes themselves on those kits also.

I do think Dave eventually started farming out the pipes though so he could focus on other things.

If in fact pro power does have the jig or dimensions etc, then maybe they would be interested in selling them since they aren't doing them any good just collecting dust anyway.

phantomtracer
10-17-2015, 11:30 PM
Interesting Info.
I called the number from the vintage Klem research website.
I was told the guy that did all of klem's porting was still working there but was out sick. I never did get to talk to him, I called two times. They did tell me they still have the port dimensions. The pipes were made be pro-power.
If Klem doesn't have the cone patterns then does pro-power?
Maybe someone on this site can measure the Klem pipe and we can have it reproduced?