PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Plastics? Anyone good at it and Polishing?

Dirtweed
09-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Hey Guys

I have a set of hard plastic mud flaps....not for an ATC, BUT I thought I would put it to the group to see if there is anyone
on here that is good at cutting plastics and making it look like they were not cut?

I also have a headlight cover that I would love to get polished looking for someone that can do that as I tried it
and I suck at it.

Thanks

Darrin

Queef Chief
09-29-2015, 11:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWPwCXLSIdA

This is the best video I've seen on restoring faded plastic.
I'll bet you can make your headlight cover shine after watching...

Trackburger
09-29-2015, 07:40 PM
I havent had much luck with restoring and polishing plastic, but as for cutting I mark out with a marker or grease pencil where I want to cut and then use a nice new sharp jigsaw blade in my jig saw (not reciprocating saw) and cut a little on the outside of the line. Then I use my bench mounted disk sander to sand right up to the line exactly where I want it. To finish it off hand sand the edges to round them over with increasingly finer grit sandpaper (the little foam sanding blocks at Harbor Freight are cheap and work great for this as the foam contours and rounds nicely!!!!

I'd try it out on a peice of the plastic your cutting off first to get the hang of it.

Dirtweed
09-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks Trackburger. My friend has a whole wood shop in his basement. I'll have to take them over when I set up my blind this season. I don't have much
for power tools so I don't think of putting them to use.

onformula1
10-05-2015, 12:58 AM
Great video, thanks for sharing.

Dirtcrasher
10-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Mr. Clean is the man!! He restores the bleached white 85/86 250R tanks....