PDA

View Full Version : Installing fork seals, ATC350x

atcmatt
09-27-2015, 05:32 AM
Just about to replace the fork seals on my 350x. Everything is apart and clean and ready to go back in. Just want some advice on the best way to get the seals in nice? I would think a socket would be ideal but no good on these forks as the chrome leg has to in place before the seal goes in, hence ruling out the use of a socket. What are your tips for getting the seals in without damaging them. Cheers.

Matt

3or4wheels
09-27-2015, 06:39 AM
use the old seals on top of the new ones to get them in place.You can pound on the old ones without damaging the new ones

atcmatt
09-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Great idea. Stupid me has already discarded them though. Any other ideas? Might just have to use a timber drift and work them in.

YTZ drew
09-27-2015, 07:33 AM
A piece of pvc pipe usually works well, that's what I use. On one really large set of forks I used a length of exhaust pipe pushing on the old seal, since the difference between the tube dia and the seal OD was too small for the pvc's wall thickness. On the bigger bikes like HD's, I don't even take the tubes out of the triples. I have a length of pvc with a slice removed, I can "snap" it onto the tube, then use the slider itself to knock the seal in, tapping it up toward the triples. Works great!

onformula1
09-27-2015, 10:43 PM
A piece of 1 1/2" white PVC pipe 2' long will work great, you will have to shave a bit off the outside diameter so it will fit in the slider to push the seal all the way down.

Tap the end of the pipe with a rubber mallet to drive the seal in while the fork is sitting vertical, install the dust seal by hand.

You being in Australia, I don't know how the sizing works out but you should be able to find something close.

atcmatt
09-27-2015, 11:21 PM
Thanks fellas. Let ya know how I go!

jrooster
09-28-2015, 12:03 AM
just installed seals on the 250r last weekend. I used a pvc pipe and rubber hammer. no leaks yet. Also i used thin plastic, like something from a milk carton to put in between the fork tube and seal to slide the seal down the tube to make sure it didnt get torn on any imperfections on the tube.

atcmatt
09-28-2015, 07:12 AM
Yeah we will have I think 50mm pressure pipe to suit. Sure I'll find something. Thanks for all your help gonna have a crack at it tomorrow afternoon.