PDA

View Full Version : where to get 86 250r motor looked at.

jrooster
09-26-2015, 12:58 AM
Im about mid way through my 250r build and would like to get started on the motor. When i got the 250r it ran and rode but had been sitting for years. That being said id like to freshen the motor up. I can handle sending the cylinder out and installing a new piston myself, but i dont have case splitter or any of the fancy tools to tear into the bottom end. Besides that i have no experience in that. Id really like to know if my crank is within tolerance or if my bearings need replacing but just dont know how to. I called one of my local shops to get a quote and they told me they wont work on engines that old due to hard to find parts.

christph
09-26-2015, 05:18 AM
You could send the whole motor off to Duncan Racing, CT racing, etc. (check out their websites). Plan on spending 400 to 500 if you send them the whole motor. I'd recommend doing everything yourself. If you can handle replacing the piston you can handle splitting the cases and replacing bearings and seals. I bought an inexpensive case splitter from ATVMC and it works great. Here: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/989/17167/Tusk-Crankcase-Splitter?term=case+splitter

John Tice
09-26-2015, 09:21 AM
Good advice from christph; Crating the engine up & shipping is another pain & large expense. Think of all of the great tools you could purchase with the money you save. The 3WW members are as close as your keyboard for help & advice, you can do it.
JT

John Tice
09-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Good advice from christph; Crating the engine up & shipping is another pain & large expense. Think of all of the great tools you could purchase with the money you save. The 3WW members are as close as your keyboard for help & advice, you can do it.
JT