PDA

View Full Version : *** Your opinion, please, on aftermarket exhaust pipes ***

bkvette3
09-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Contemplating installing an aftermarket exhaust pipe and silencer (ex. FMF) on my 2 stroke ATC. I like the sound and look. For you members that have installed an exhaust system on your ride - what are the pros and cons??? Is there a really noticeable difference in performance??? Has the system held up cosmetically and performance wise??? Thanks in advance for your replies and opinions. Regards

christph
09-19-2015, 05:34 PM
You need to be more specific about what machine you are talking about. Generally speaking, FMF is considered a good upgrade from stock regardless of the machine. The problem is they make pipes for everything and specialize in nothing--at least not our dated machines. But smaller performance shops like Duncan, ESR, CT, etc. are more specialized and develop reputations for having the best pipe for this or that machine. Again, the "best" pipe depends on what machine you have and what kind of power you want to make.

bkvette3
09-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Trike in question would be a '85 Honda atc250r - stock.

John_Neary
09-19-2015, 09:27 PM
@bkvette3 - For sure a pipe and silencer are the best first hop ups to get for a 250R that is still stock. While there are a ton of pipes on the market to pick from the FMF with the nickle plating would be at or near the top of my list.

http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/ATV/100

It will give you more power across the board and the nickle plating makes the pipe super easy to care for, just wash and dry.

RIDE-RED 250r
09-19-2015, 10:00 PM
Nothing wrong with an FMF at all. In my experience with their system for the ATC it is a solid performer with meaty midrange.

The plating does get fatigued and discolored over time, and of you ride in wet/muddy conditions you will get some rust spots develop if you don't stay on top of keeping it clean and free of moisture, especially in the first 10 inches or so closest to the cylinder. But this is true of any exhaust system. Exhaust pipes are subject to wide temp swings and high temps. It is the first component to begin to corrode with use on any type of vehicle unless it is constructed of stainless steel or ceramic coated.

El Camexican
09-19-2015, 11:33 PM
Nothing wrong with an FMF at all. In my experience with their system for the ATC it is a solid performer with meaty midrange.

The plating does get fatigued and discolored over time, and of you ride in wet/muddy conditions you will get some rust spots develop if you don't stay on top of keeping it clean and free of moisture, especially in the first 10 inches or so closest to the cylinder. But this is true of any exhaust system. Exhaust pipes are subject to wide temp swings and high temps. It is the first component to begin to corrode with use on any type of vehicle unless it is constructed of stainless steel or ceramic coated.

Amen to all of the above. If your jetted too lean, or like to spin your wheels in the mud without moving forward for extended periods you can cook the shine off the first 12" or so of any pipe. After you install a new pipe wipe it with brake cleaner, or thinner to remove your fingerprints. Otherwise they can burn into the finish, particularly on hotter running 4 strokes. After that like RR says, keep it clean. Wash and dry after every ride and then spray and wipe it with WD-40 and it will last much longer.

I don't know if Pro Circuit makes a pipe for your trike, but they seem to have a nicer finish than the FMF pipes do. It seems they clean their pipes better before plating as they don't rust around the welds as fast as the FMF pipes do and they also seem to shine more. I just prefer the FMF's for the thicker walled Gnarly pipes and the lower price and at least on my bike, better bottom end.

When you buy a new pipe spray paint the inside as much as you can with Hi Temp exhaust manifold paint, or BBQ paint. It's like a poor mans thermo coating and will keep the outside shiny for a little longer.

bkvette3
09-20-2015, 06:59 AM
Amen to all of the above. If your jetted too lean, or like to spin your wheels in the mud without moving forward for extended periods you can cook the shine off the first 12" or so of any pipe. After you install a new pipe wipe it with brake cleaner, or thinner to remove your fingerprints. Otherwise they can burn into the finish, particularly on hotter running 4 strokes. After that like RR says, keep it clean. Wash and dry after every ride and then spray and wipe it with WD-40 and it will last much longer.

I don't know if Pro Circuit makes a pipe for your trike, but they seem to have a nicer finish than the FMF pipes do. It seems they clean their pipes better before plating as they don't rust around the welds as fast as the FMF pipes do and they also seem to shine more. I just prefer the FMF's for the thicker walled Gnarly pipes and the lower price and at least on my bike, better bottom end.

When you buy a new pipe spray paint the inside as much as you can with Hi Temp exhaust manifold paint, or BBQ paint. It's like a poor mans thermo coating and will keep the outside shiny for a little longer.

Awesome advice - thank you. Keeping the pipe shiny is a big thing for me. Love the chrome look. Now I know what to do.

Regards. BK3

El Camexican
09-20-2015, 08:10 AM
Awesome advice - thank you. Keeping the pipe shiny is a big thing for me. Love the chrome look. Now I know what to do.

Regards. BK3

If you want to spend the bucks there are companies that will professionally coat the inside of your pipe so that it will never blue, but the process might cost more than the pipe. On top of that the exterior finish on most off the shelf pipes is not exactly show quality if you know what I mean, so to add that fancy coating on the inside might not be money well spent.

86125m
09-20-2015, 10:39 AM
The best High heat paint I've found is VHT super high heat paint you can get it at autozone. Its good paint every pipe I've coated with it still looks almost like the day I painted it. Just be sure to follow the curing instructions.

bkvette3
09-20-2015, 12:09 PM
I assume you guys are using an aerosol can when applying the high temp paint to the inside of the pipe. Any special way to apply or just shoot some paint into the opening of the pipe - covering as much as possible for protection.

bkvette3
09-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Has anyone tried Blue Job Chrome Polish??? Claims to remove the blueing on chrome exhausts.

El Camexican
09-20-2015, 07:35 PM
I assume you guys are using an aerosol can when applying the high temp paint to the inside of the pipe. Any special way to apply or just shoot some paint into the opening of the pipe - covering as much as possible for protection.

I just shoot it in the cylinder side hole (spray can) for enough time to get at least 1/8? of the can's contents in there and then rotate and turn the pipe around by hand to hopefully cover as much of the inside as possible. If at some point it drips out the small end you know you got a bunch in there. I've sure this is not the way the manufacture suggests to apply their product, but I don't know of a better one in this situation. I wouldn't over think this process, while it will extent the life of your shiny finish to some degree it is not going to make the first 8"'s of your pipe shine forever.

Proper jetting and cleaning the pipe the same day that you rode it is what will keep it looking good. As far as that blue remover goes I've never heard of it, but I'll guess its a pretty aggressive abrasive if it can remove blue off of chrome. I'm not smart enough to explain why I say this, but maybe this will help: http://www.thefabricator.com/blog/colors-in-welds-and-what-they-mean Anything aggressive compound you regularly use will eventually dull, or even wear through your finish.

RIDE-RED 250r
09-20-2015, 08:04 PM
With your 2-stroke pipe, you won't get much blueing if any at all at the expansion chamber, but you may get some at the hottest section of the pipe in the first 10 inches or so.

You could opt for a custom made naked pipe and send it to Dynoport for ceramic coating. Ceramic is about as tough a finish as you can get on any exhaust short of stainless steel. Ceramic does end up quite shiny when finished, but not quite as shiny as chrome plating. The little bit of shiny you trade for durability is something to consider.

If I recall, you can call ESR and request a naked ATC5 pipe.. At least you could at one time. I run ESR's ATC5 pipe and silencer on my big bore R and it's a hell of a pipe. Very happy with it. But it is a bit more expensive than FMF.

bkvette3
09-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Thank -you, gentlemen. I do appreciate your knowledge and feedback. I did learn something here. I just have to decide which pipe to buy.

Regards.

keister
09-21-2015, 12:02 PM
A few years back, I decided to remove my stock "boat anchor" exhaust on my '85 R.
I polled a lot of people asking which pipe they recommend for all around purposes (TT, Flat track, MX, dunes, ice racing).
The answer was nearly always FMF or ESR.
I settled on ESR (it is called ATC5) and love it!!!
This year I bought another R which has an FMF on it.
They are very, very similar in power delivery. Similar enough that I can't say I'd prefer one over the other. Not really any noticeable difference.

One thing I do is keep my pipes "wet".
After riding and washing I spray my pipe (and motor and frame and axle and.....) with WD-40 and leave it on there.
Buy it by the gallon and pour it into a spray bottle is the most cost effective option.
Good luck!

jlucero
09-22-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that Paul Turner still makes pipes for the 85 250r. I've seen them on duncan racing's website. I have a Paul Turner Hi-Rev pipe with a DG silencer on my 250r. I like it because it's pretty responsive and has an incredible powerband in the higher RPMs of the engine. Hints Hi-Rev pipe haha but I've always liked FMF pipes in general. Never had one on an ATC but I liked the ones on the 250r quads... not that I would ever ride a quad :TrikesOwn