PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings?

kybishop
09-15-2015, 04:52 PM
I am in the middle of replacing the front wheel bearings on my daughters Honda 125M. I had purchased the wheel bearings a while back. Kept seeing them and kept trying to get around to replacing them. I finally got around to getting to it and now I have no idea where the bearings are... :wondering

So I guess I will get some more and then I will find them lol.

I can't remember what kind I got. Any brands to stay away from? Any recommended? I try to stay away from the Chinese made stuff, doesn't seem to hold up. Any US or Japanese made bearings for these trikes available?

These are the front bearings, 1985 Honda 125M.

Thanks for any input.

Kevin

yaegerb
09-15-2015, 05:11 PM
I recommend OEM or All Balls.

kybishop
09-15-2015, 05:43 PM
I saw the All Balls while looking.

Also; Are there any seals to install in addition to the dust seals? I noticed in my Clymber manual for the 185S it shows O ring seals on the axles in addition to the dust seals. I don't see any O rings in the on line manuals for the 125M front axle.

Thanks.

kybishop
11-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Sure enough. I installed the All Balls bearings I bought and found the other bearings I bought that went missing while cleaning up... Those are Honda OEM bearings, not sure where I got them.

Oh well, I am sure I will have a need for them in the future. The All Balls installation went great. Nice fit and they seem to be working great so far. Got some for the steering stem as well.

83ATC185
11-03-2015, 01:42 PM
i went to a local bearing shop and had them measure the bearings for my 185s front a few years back. Both bearings and seals were only around 10 dollars and were US made, and they have held up for a few years now. I'm not sure how much the All Balls cost, but i know it was a considerable savings over OEM and i have gone to them for replacing all my bearings and seals. I wish I remembered who made the bearings now, maybe timken? just something to think about next time you need bearings if you have a supply store nearby.

kybishop
11-03-2015, 08:56 PM
I got the All Balls for $25 and change on Amazon.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Kevin

86125m
11-03-2015, 11:23 PM
I have all balls in my 200m. But I also have the cheap non brand bearing I got off of ebay in my 200x and cant tell a difference. But its all about personal preference and cash available.

kybishop
11-04-2015, 05:06 PM
I won't spend a crazy amount for OEM if there is something out there just as good or better. I prefer USA or Japanese made for the trikes and my LandCruiser as well. I flat stay away from the cheap Chinese made rotors, bearings and the like no matter how inexpensive they are. My experience is that the cheap steel they use just does not hold up to the test of time and wear.

wagx2
12-19-2015, 10:08 PM
a lot of the oem sites that have the parts diagram, list the bearing numbers, and seal sizes, rebuilt a trx 125 quad couple years ago powder coated engine frame etc..... and went to local Honda shop, for bearing and seals, was going to be around 200, for all, past on that, when left past a allied bearing store, and talked with them, went home, got on oem site wrote down bearing numbers and seal sizes listed and took it back to allied, they had all in stock except 2 and ordered them. 64 bucks and some change, been going to them ever since. Only thing that has been different was oil seal, had 2 in past that were 34id, 45 od, and 8mm wide, out of all seals they would have right id od but width would be 7mm or a mm off, but always got them and put them in with no problems. have double lip seals to. so helps to check around, only difference is a lot of bearings they stock have rubber seals in them, if your using them in engine seals pop right off, or if if its going in a rear end pop them off, or just pop off the side that is toward the oiling side, leave other side on.