PDA

View Full Version : A Crazy Teen's Idea for a Scat Tracker

Johnny1996
09-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Good ol, crazy almost 19 year old me has a theoretically good idea for a Scat Tracker trike. I did some research on them on this site simply for my personal benefit, but I got an idea along the way. Anybody who knows stuff about these rough riding machines knows that they had zero suspension and a seat not even really worthy as being called a seat. This is where my idea comes in....

What if I were to custom make a suspension for one?

Like I said, this is theoretically good idea, at least for me, but I don't really know what I could be in for. Namely, would such an idea even work at all? I was thinking about using what I've learned from suspension and suspension parts in Votech (for auto) to use either a coil spring, leaf spring or shock suspension for the rear of the Scat Tracker, and typical three wheeler ATV fork-like suspension for the front. Yes I know I'd have to custom make a handful of things on the trike, but I don't think it would be too hard to do. Also, the pad for the seat would be terrible even with said suspension, so I was thinking about getting an actual seat added in, either bought ready to go or custom made.

So with that seemingly long bit of info out of the way, does anybody here even know if this would work, let alone be a good idea? Has it even been attempted ever before? What type of suspension would be best? And those such questions. Anything you guys can give me to go off of, go right ahead. Thanks in advance. :beer

Jmoozy27
09-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Knock yourself out buddy!!! Don't be scared to ask for advice, though... ;);):crazy:

Johnny1996
09-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Thanks, Jmoozy.

I know this is mainly about my potential Scat Tracker, but an opportunity to buy a "pretty decent condition" '85 200x just popped up moments ago at one of my local shops. So far everything is word of mouth, so I haven't seen the machine yet. I'll be able to next week however. What would be a good price for said 200x? I could very well be buying this thing early next week. Thanks.

John_Neary
09-15-2015, 05:31 PM
looking at the frame layout you are gonna be facing a major flex issue where the front frame beam meets the rear box just under the seat if you make that your pivot point unless you are a feather weight

could try stacking some urethane bumpers under the seat to give it some added cushioning

Johnny1996
09-15-2015, 05:57 PM
looking at the frame layout you are gonna be facing a major flex issue where the front frame beam meets the rear box just under the seat if you make that your pivot point unless you are a feather weight

could try stacking some urethane bumpers under the seat to give it some added cushioning

That was one of the things I had in my mind that I almost would definitely need. I'm not quite sure how I'd do it right now but I am doing some heavy thinking.

hawaiirider
09-16-2015, 09:45 AM
if you have a dirtbike laying around you can fairly easily cut the trike frame (keep the bearing carrier part) and put the dirt bike swinger on if you can weld. if you dont have a scrapper laying around just buy the 200x or buy some hemroid cream if you keep the rigid bike

83ATC185
09-16-2015, 12:38 PM
One thing i cant make work out in my head is a chain tensioner. Because of where the motor/ sprockets are i just cant see any way of keeping the chain tight easily other than a jackshaft and two chains.

hawaiirider
09-16-2015, 01:26 PM
the dirtbike swingarm has a slider, weld the housing so you can still move it, ill have to post some pics of mine, its really not very difficult.

Jmoozy27
09-16-2015, 04:27 PM
I used leftover brake caliper mounts, hardware, and a skate wheel for mine. I never throw anything away so there is always something laying around that I can use.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=221695&stc=1