PDA

View Full Version : Ok so i did something really stupid so now tell me where to go

Big Daddys 350x
09-13-2015, 01:49 AM
Need some advice. My son has a 250ex 4 wheeler. As I said I did something really stupid with it yesterday. I pulled my other sons car with it. Never noticed it before and might be normal with the centrifugal clutch but I noticed that when you rev it in neutral and turn off the key/kill the engine something inside continues to spin and then makes a clunk sound. He rode it around all day today and it worked just fine no issues. Doesn't do it in gear if you shut it off and doesn't do it if you don't rev then shut off.

So with that being said...does anyone recommend a fourm to post my stupidity on?

Not sure if I broke it or if it's normal, those quads are really noisy to begin with. Thanks and as I said just tell me where to go.

Scootertrash
09-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Sounds like maybe the one way clutch (bearing).

My 200S has been doing it for some time, just haven't had the time to check it out.

atc007
09-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Those quads are not noisy at all new!!!!! It is junk. Sorry to be so blunt. More accurately, the oil wasn't changed before you bought it. None of todays engines like no maintenance, but the 250EX will damn sure growl about it. Yes, the one way bearing is shot,followed very closely by the flywheel one way, rear bearings,brakes and diff. Flush the engine, put a new bearing in the back of your clutch,get some good fresh blood in her and hope for the best! Also the rear diff! These are amazing little quads when kept up. I assume it is a 03-05 ?

Big Daddys 350x
09-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Yes it is an 03. Sorry didn't mean to knock it, it has been a great little quad for my son he's a little guy and doesn't freaky get it out of 2nd gear much. We have changed the oil and diff. Very regular, no noise from the rear. And no the person we bought it from did not do any maint. To it. We've had it for about 2 years and other than me abusing it pulling a car (a 55 Chevy wagon stripped down on a rotisserie) it hasn't given us any problems.

I feel like a jack @$$ for tearing someone else's stuff up and just want to make it right for my little buddy. We are going on a dune trip soon and I want to have his quad in tip top shape.

Should I replace the centrifugal clutch while I'm in there? I always use honda atv oil in all our honda bikes other than my 350x I run brad penn.

Should I be running something different. Hope I didn't offend by saying their noisy. Thanks for all the advice!!

Big Daddys 350x
09-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Forgot to mention the rear has new bearings and seals new brakes and new side cover, as well as new front brakes new air filter and plug.

atc007
09-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Good, you've already addressed the rear! Inspect the clutch while you're in there. If there are ANY grooves in the drum, time to replace the shoes,maybe drum. Hopefully just the bearing will get you up and going again. Here is the STARTER one way.You'll have to determine if the freewheeling after you turn it off is starter or clutch side. If it is not the flywheel, you don't need this one,,,yet lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-CLUTCH-ONE-WAY-BEARING-Fits-HONDA-TRX250EX-SPORTRAX-2001-2002-2003-/291436701981?hash=item43dafb291d&vxp=mtr

Scootertrash
09-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Here's the Honda one way bearing for the clutch housing. pricey part. You could probably find a used one on fleabay if you're willing to chance it on a used part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-91101-958-003-CLUTCH-ONE-WAY-/281689811191?hash=item41960568f7&vxp=mtr

There are aftermarket ones available on ebay too, I just went for OEM.

Big Daddys 350x
09-14-2015, 12:47 AM
Honestly the $ I save on labor from all the advice allows me to spend the money saved on good oem parts!!

Sincerely thank you both for your help!! This site is a treasure chest of info, and I have always received excellent advise.
I will replace all worn or questionable parts.

Thanks again guys really appreciate it! I'll keep you posted on what I find . Will be a few days before I get a chance to crack it open

Big Daddys 350x
09-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Started yesterday and sounds very much like it's coming from the front side of the engine that faces the two front wheels. It's the side that the oil cooler lines go in. Since the starter is on the other side I assuming this is the centrifugal clutch side correct?

barnett468
09-16-2015, 09:23 PM
Started yesterday and sounds very much like it's coming from the front side of the engine that faces the two front wheels. It's the side that the oil cooler lines go in. Since the starter is on the other side I assuming this is the centrifugal clutch side correct?

yes.......

barnett468
09-16-2015, 09:27 PM
other than me abusing it pulling a car (a 55 Chevy wagon stripped down on a rotisserie) it hasn't given us any problems.

I feel like a jack @$$ for tearing someone else's stuff up and just want to make it right for my little buddy.

you need a kawasaki if you ever want to actually tow something heavy . http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif

atc007
09-16-2015, 10:23 PM
Yes, If your starter works great,and there is no noise from the flywheel side. I would leave the flywheel alone. Just the clutch needs work the way it sounds.

Hair Bear Bunch
09-18-2015, 12:27 PM
you need a kawasaki if you ever want to actually tow something heavy . http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif

Are Kawasaki's really that heavy to tow???

oldskool83
09-18-2015, 01:27 PM
does it shift correctly? we had an 01 and its tranny was junk, never wanted to shift into gears right....I since then left Honda lol.

thcowboy
09-19-2015, 11:39 PM
My 82 BR does that too... It shifts fine but i will have to replace the bearing sometime. My uncle had it before me and neeldess to say he beat the crap out of it.

Big Daddys 350x
09-26-2015, 05:29 PM
It shifts perfectly everything prior to me towing the car with it worked as if it was new. Idles low when it's cold and high when it's warms up other than that never had any issues with it. Still works heart other than the clutch bearing. I am swamped with work right now and have 2 vehicles that need new motors, so I'm short on time. As soon as I pull the front cover and centrifugal clutch to verify I'll post findings. Thanks to all for the support!

6speedthumper
09-28-2015, 09:13 PM
You're best to get the clutch puller for it as well. Although, you can do it without the puller. Ask me how I know ;) . lol.