PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on removing steering stem bearing race from frame

phantomtracer
09-03-2015, 12:08 AM
Looking for help on removing the races for an 86 kxt frame. I can't knock them out with a punch as they are recessed so there is no material to hit. I tried cutting but do not want to cut into the neck if I go too far. Any suggestions?

SUPERBEAST
09-03-2015, 01:17 AM
this is a bearing race tool on rockymountain, i bet you could probably make something like this with a piece of pipe

ZacH_GrifF
09-03-2015, 01:22 AM
I've used a pilot bearing puller in the past but not sure if it would have enough to hold on to. A pic would be helpful.

Trackburger
09-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Yeah, I was going to say try a pilot bearing puller too. If you dont have one some automotive places let you rent tools for a small fee, then when you bring it back they return your money.

If your forced to cut, sometimes a dremel tool with a small grinding bit will work..... just eat away small bits at a time. Gives you a little more precision than say...a reciprocating saw!!! LOL

HairyJR
09-03-2015, 11:20 AM
If you have access to a welder, had great success over the years with recessed bear races/cones/cups by stitch welding the races which causes them to shrink enough to fall out after cooling. In your case there is another option to tack weld a large flat washer to the race which then gives you something to tap on to drive out.

"HJ" 221118 :beer

John_Neary
09-03-2015, 12:47 PM
This video shows the tool SUPERBEAST linked you, its pretty darn awesome and i want one to get my lower race out of my Franks frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYUL4siK82o

Skip to 3:30 to see the bearing race removal tool being used.

nd4speed
09-03-2015, 01:01 PM
The Rocky Mountain videos are nice. I figured there would be some type of slide hammer.

poolieZerUK
09-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Don't know the script with tecate but welding the race or something to it will work, always easier with some heat.

When I replaced the bearings on a Tri z I cut a couple of semi circle slots on the inside of the head stock tube top and bottom opposite each other with a die grinder so that a punch can get some purchase on the races.

Works a treat if you need them out without damage.

phantomtracer
09-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the advice.
I grew a set and used a Dremel with a cut off wheel to cut the race.

dabody69
09-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the advice.
I grew a set and used a Dremel with a cut off wheel to cut the race.

Did it come out easily, that was the worst job I had on the bike, even after mine were cut I still had to heat them up and pound like mad to get them out, worst job ever!!

phantomtracer
09-03-2015, 09:43 PM
They came out somewhat easy. I used a sharpened chisel to cantilever it out. the tool would not have worked. One race is completely countersunk and the other is not much better.

YTZ drew
09-04-2015, 12:22 PM
I had to do the same thing on my old PE175. I learned that bearing races make REALLY sharp little metal bits when you grind them with a carbide burr. Ouch!