PDA

View Full Version : 1985 200X - Carb Cleaning

thehorse13
08-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Well, it finally happened. When I crack open the throttle quickly, my beloved 200X stumbles. I have a feeling that the main jet may be gummed up and likely the rest of the carb.

Have any of you folks used the Napa carb dip? Do you know of anything better to get the cleaning job done?

While I'm on the subject, can someone point me to a source for a carb rebuild kit for a stock 1985 200X carburetor?

Thanks!

YTZ drew
08-22-2015, 09:12 AM
I have used that carb cleaning solution, and it works well. Try to get off as much grease and grime using a tooth brush and some brake cleaner before you use the dunk tank, to prolong the life of the solvent. Make sure you don't soak any plastic parts, and make sure the carb is completely disassembled, except for the choke plate, leave that on the shaft. The only parts you really need to replace are the bowl gasket, the o-ring on the idle fuel adjustment screw, the needle jet, and the float needle. Honda offers a gasket kit, p/n 16010-324-680 or 16010-HB5-305, for $15, and the float needle is p/n 16155-413-751, for $19.63. The needle jet is NLA from Honda, but is usually included in the aftermarket kits. You should be able to find an aftermarket kit for about $20 on ebay or from any local bike shop that will have the rubber parts and the needle. I personally don't like using the aftermarket main and pilot jets that come in the kits, I don't trust the accuracy of the numbers.

By the way, I have an OEM 200X swingarm skidplate, PM me if you're interested.

yaegerb
08-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Well, it finally happened. When I crack open the throttle quickly, my beloved 200X stumbles. I have a feeling that the main jet may be gummed up and likely the rest of the carb.

Have any of you folks used the Napa carb dip? Do you know of anything better to get the cleaning job done?

While I'm on the subject, can someone point me to a source for a carb rebuild kit for a stock 1985 200X carburetor?

Thanks!

Berryman Chem dip in the pail is pretty good and the shindy kits on eBay are the ones I use.

knappyfeet
08-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Don't forget the post phosphoric acid dip of the carb body. For that matter even the Jets. Some use a 50/50 water to acid ration and let sit. I like the dipping in pure acid and removal then rinse with water method. There are videos on line with some using a vibrating method as well.