PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt engine smoking

waynekreitzmann
08-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Hi I just put a new piston and rings in my 185s and have run it for about 2 hours altogether and it smokes after I start it it didn't do it when I first started it after the rebuild but now it does its not a lot of smoke but smoke is smoke. It smells sweet and I'm just wondering if the rings need to seat or is it bad rings? Any help would be appreciated , thanks

atc007
08-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Need a lot more info. Did you hone or bore? What boring machine/bar? Did you do valve seals ? Did you pinch any rings going together?

waynekreitzmann
08-11-2015, 06:45 PM
I bored it and honed the last .003 new valve seals went together good.

waynekreitzmann
08-11-2015, 06:58 PM
It has a 10:1 comp piston and a web 89a cam too I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it does run great just smokes a little not so much at idle just when u rev it

atc007
08-11-2015, 07:08 PM
What boring bar? A worn bar can go egg shaped in the bore. You would check this by putting a new ring up in the bore and looking for light around the ring to cylinder. Not likely on a 4 cycle, much easier to happen in a 2 cycle with ports. It sounds like you know what you're doing honing to fit.Did it smoke before? When a 4 cycle has been run till it smokes. It soaks the header with oil. After a fresh rebuild,as you put heat in the pipe running it, it starts to burn the oil out. I suspect that is what you have going on. After 3 or so hours at the very most. It would be burnt out. Pull off your breather hose with it running,if it's smoking there,It's ring to cylinder seal. If it's clear. Nothing to worry about. It's not valve seals. They wouldn't do this revving up. They would be start up after sitting days,or at least over night.

waynekreitzmann
08-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Thanks ATC 007 I just didn't want to wreck something I did check it with the rings in it with a light looked good its not smoking out the breather so I'll just drive it like I stole it thanks again for the info

atc007
08-11-2015, 07:27 PM
I hope it smoked before you rebuilt it? if so, it will stop after some heat cycles.

barnett468
08-11-2015, 08:20 PM
exactly what oil are you using?

what oil did you put on the rings when you installed them?

synthetic oil can increase ring break in time or prevent proper break in.

waynekreitzmann
08-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Regular honda oil for piston install and in engine I don't like synthetic tried it in a 5 hp one time and it started leaking, and yes she smoked before

waynekreitzmann
08-11-2015, 09:33 PM
219784progress so far,buddy of mine has a 200x I wanna be able to beat it I'm working on rear suspension next