PDA

View Full Version : Over due return to trikes, 200es rebuild

Custom200
08-08-2015, 03:51 PM
As stated in the title , it's been about 5 or 6 years since I've owned a 3 wheeler. Bought a new brute force and barely used it. The past year or so I've wanted a trike project. Soooo about a month ago a much younger cousin of mine had a super rough 200es. Shaft drive with electric start and reverse. Exactly the same as my first trike I had about 11/12 years back. It was rough, missing almost everything but when I was looking at his purchase over a cold beer with his father I seen it had an immaculate frame, rear end and great running engine (besides the 30years of grime). Made a cheap offer and brought it home with it front wheel on the rack of my brute force. Now onto the plan

I wouldn't call this a restoration, some parts will not be stock. But not straying to far from original. The overall goal is have a mechanically sound bike that needs nothing and is incredibly clean. Also this bike will not be a bog monster, wheelie machine or path beater. Just a clean atc to enjoy and keep ( I destroyed way to many of these bikes growing up). Basically I'm starting at the frame and working up, using the frame rear end and engine I bought , along with another 1984 with most everything but a busted frame for a parts bike.

Everything is stripped to bare metal, metal condition , self etched primed and painted base coat/ clear coat auto paint, it really helps painting and restoring cars the past number of years. Once the frame was done and sprayed I sourced a clean set of 200m forks, same paint treatment and all new races and tapered bearings installed along with the proper decals. Then onto the rear end, blasted all the cases, installed new bearings seals and gaskets, also cleaned the cases inside immaculate and installed all new brakes .
Also I scored a very clean tank, little dents and zero rust. Stripped, body work complete and painted as well. Along with the tank I had scored a complete harness which I unloomed. Checked all the wires, replaced what had to be replaced and after new loom installed it.

I got very luckily with the parts bike, although very rough was complete with original hardware and all the many little parts you'd never accumulate separate.

That's about where I'm at, and in no means in a rush to complete. Up next I'm tacking the engine. Immaculate cleaning and rebuild the full top end as well as carbs etc etc. Also it's the waiting game on parts ordered. All new brake and choke cables. Full decal kit, new seat cover with honda logo. My new tires, dg exhaust among other things I decide I need as I go. Thanks for looking and here are some pics

Custom200
08-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Some more pictures

Custom200
08-08-2015, 04:05 PM
And the last few for now

barnett468
08-08-2015, 04:19 PM
looks way better than new.

if you are running 91 - 93 octane or E85 gas and you want a little more power everywhere, you can buy a 10.0:1 piston from wiesco or one of their distributors . . they were only 7.8:1 stock.

http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-engine-and-exhaust/piston-kits/wiseco-high-performance-piston?m=1891

http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/ATV.aspx

barnett468
08-08-2015, 04:22 PM
you can also get the intake valve back cut pretty inexpensively once you have the head off.

you can also spray carb cleaner in the ports and see if it weeps out around the valves, if it does, i would fix it.

Chopsaw
08-08-2015, 10:07 PM
Looks great , my type of trike .

SSLS1
08-09-2015, 12:06 AM
Nice project, cool story and good progress!

coolpool
08-09-2015, 11:02 AM
Looking great! Keep us posted.

Custom200
08-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys. Its a labour of love. Basically just building a bike I always wanted . I'll keep the updates coming. Currently im straightening my rear rims and prepping them for paint. Hopefully this week I'll be into the engine and start the rebuild.

Custom200
08-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Not too much of an update, got her on 3 wheels as a roller. Time to start tearing into the engine:cool: