PDA

View Full Version : Tri Z clutch question

CodyRosa
07-21-2015, 01:53 AM
Hey guys.. so I got my Z running for the first time a few nights ago.. when I put it into gear it killed immediately. Tried again and did the same so I assumed the clutch plates were stuck.. pulled the motor out and just like I had assumed the plates were stuck. I soaked them in oil for a couple days and just put it back together and of course I put the pressure plate on wrong at first! So I put that back on correct (arrows lined up) and tightened up the springs and then I put the threaded rod in the center and put it in until it didnt move anymore. Then I tightened the nut after that. When I pull in the clutch lever the clutch is all there.. except when I put in gear and hold the clutch in it doesn't roll easy.. still turns the motor over.

oile
07-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Sounds like to me you didn't adjust the clutch arm correctly. The clutch arm is adjusted by the center screw you adjust the screw in or out until your clutch arm edge is parallel with the crankcase edge. Also check your clutch hub and basket doesn't have deep grooves in it cause your clutches need to slide back and forth and those grooves will make it hard to work properly. Hope this helps

oile
07-21-2015, 09:14 AM
218794 Did you put that ball back in? Number 18

barnett468
07-21-2015, 03:01 PM
how much play is in your lever?

are your clutch discs stock or aftermarket?

CodyRosa
07-21-2015, 03:12 PM
I never even saw a ball in there.. so i hope it didnt fall out lol.. the clutch hub and basket have no grooves in them and look really good actually. I would assume i just didn't adjust the clutch arm correctly as i forgot how i took it apart sense i did it a few days later. I'll check for the ball and adjust the clutch arm again. The only thing I took off was the pressure plate and plates, threaded rod and nut.

Barnett I believe stock.. but i cant be to certain as I just got the machine.

barnett468
07-21-2015, 08:05 PM
well if there is a lot of play in your lever, just adjust it so there is very little movement like maybe 1/4" - 3/8" when measured at the end of the lever.

CodyRosa
07-21-2015, 08:40 PM
oh yea there is almost no play.. there is enough for the clutch arm to go back to its starting position.. so its not always compressed.

barnett468
07-21-2015, 09:49 PM
oh yea there is almost no play.. there is enough for the clutch arm to go back to its starting position.. so its not always compressed.

is the lever hard to pull in like it has stiff racing springs?

are the levers plastic and flexing?

is the arm on the clutch case flexing?

if it has aftermarket plates, it might drag slightly when it is running and in gear with the clutch in but it should be minor.

oile
07-21-2015, 09:54 PM
What position is that clutch arm in ?

CodyRosa
07-21-2015, 10:45 PM
clutch arm is good shape!

Lever is pretty hard to pull in. It feels weird when it gets to the very end.. like it just stops? before I actually bottom the lever out. Lever is stock.. whatever that is so not plastic. Nothing is flexing at all and seems to move smoothly like it should. I'll be looking at the clutch again tomorrow as i've been working on my R all day.. I'm going to try and adjust that threaded rod and nut.

barnett468
07-21-2015, 10:59 PM
clutch arm is good shape!

Lever is pretty hard to pull in. It feels weird when it gets to the very end.. like it just stops? before I actually bottom the lever out. Lever is stock.. whatever that is so not plastic. Nothing is flexing at all and seems to move smoothly like it should. I'll be looking at the clutch again tomorrow as i've been working on my R all day.. I'm going to try and adjust that threaded rod and nut.

as long as there is even a little freeplay in the lever, it should never bottom out.

CodyRosa
07-23-2015, 08:54 AM
I have it set now where I think its correct. (clutch feels great now) I never started it after soaking the plates so I'm guessing theyre just sticking a little bit sense theyre cold. My brand new 250r motor even after i added oil is doing the same thing. Doesnt move in gear with clutch in but once its warmed up i'd assume it will work just fine. I'm using 80w90 (something like that) I believe in both. Honda racing transmission oil.