PDA

View Full Version : quick question

mud runner
07-19-2015, 06:46 PM
ok on a 200x are you supposto use rtv where the valve cover bolts to the head or is there a gasket cause I bought a full gasket kit and there wasent one for it

shortline10
07-19-2015, 07:25 PM
No gasket on the tappet cover , use hondabond or yamabond sealant their .

YTZ drew
07-19-2015, 08:46 PM
Permatex also makes a similar product called Motoseal. I have used that, as well as Yamabond, both are in my drawer of chemicals.

mud runner
07-19-2015, 09:42 PM
Well when you to tourk it down is the cam supposto spin freely because it's not

YTZ drew
07-20-2015, 10:13 PM
Yes, the cam should spin freely for maybe 80 degrees or so of rotation if the lobes are down. You won't be able to move it by hand once a lobe tries to open a valve against the spring pressure. I hate to ask, but are the head and the cover an original matched pair? The cam journals are machined after the cover and head are cast and machined, so mixing and matching heads and covers results in out-of-round cam journals.

mud runner
07-22-2015, 09:52 PM
Yes they are I took the dr head off and put the stock head and cover on and I know there good because the bike I took it off was running

YTZ drew
07-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Sounds like something is not assembled correctly. Did you put the cam cover on the head with the cam already in place? I wonder if the right side cam bushing got cocked somehow and is binding.

Dirtcrasher
07-23-2015, 09:33 PM
You could be 180 out on the cam and hitting the valve with the lobe.

Don't forget the oil gallery rubber plug and use that "any bond" exactly as it says and only where the service manual says. Can't get too close to certain mating surfaces.

mud runner
09-26-2015, 08:57 PM
sorry its been a while but i got it sorted out i had the xr cam in the stock head i mesured it and it was a couple thousants bigger so im guessing that was my problem and i was also having a problem about it felt like somthing was binding it was the kick starter was binding up so i made another gasket to give it a lil more room and it works good the only problem i am having mow is its some times barley getting any spark but most of the time it doesent get any any ideas

yaegerb
09-27-2015, 12:00 AM
Make sure your pulse air gap setting is correct.