PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle tire blowout

Orangecnty250r
07-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Well we all know I am the builder of garage queens so this was not due to me shredding any tracks, that is for sure. I have been mounting all of these NOS tires that I have collected over time. I have been lucky to score 8 NOS carlisle amerathons to go on the some of the builds. They have been a SOB to get on the rims. Every trick in the book ( I think) has been tried. Some tire places have said " your on your own" The tires are petrified hard.We have stretched the tires with dowels and have had to add tubes. Anyway, EVERY single one has been trouble to seat the beads. I asked the tire place to insert tubes so we can push the tire out that way. They will only fill them to 50 PSI because they don't have a cage. I then bring them home to finish. I set the tire up behind outside behind the 3 inch thick shop door, put eye protection on and ear plugs. I gradually put air in let it stretch and continue the cycle until it pops....peaking only through a crack in the door. Sounds ridiculous because it is!!!! These tires were standard on a few of the builds and they MUST go on!! Every one has worked with about 75-80 PSI until yesterday . I had a 3 inch area that just wouldn't pop. It kept kicking of the safety on the compressor around 100 PSI. I would let it stretch, deflate a bit and try again. After some air let out I would come out from behind the door and take a peak after it set for a few minutes never thinking it would explode while air wasn't going in it. I turned and walked to the other side of the garage. I then heard what sounded like a cannon outside. I ran over and only saw the air line. I walked around the woods for 10 minutes looking for which way it went. I also started looking in trees. It ended up about half a football field away from where it started. It had to have rolled some to get that far away!! Here are some pics...I guess success with 7 out of 8 isn't bad. 30 seconds sooner and it could have taken my head off!! Also the rim did not get damaged at all! So....I'm one 16x7.5 -8 tire down.....anyone have a spare?

bkm
07-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Glad you weren't hurt. These old tires scare the piss out of me.

John_Neary
07-18-2015, 06:53 PM
even new those tires where kinda scary to mount, when the bead would pop onto the rim it sounded like a gunshot

the 18x8.50-8 Carlisle RA on my Rotax are in rough shape and only one holds air still so trying to decide what i am gonna do about some period correct tires for it

El Camexican
07-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Sounds like you need a cage if you're going to keep at this. Glad you went hurt.

barnett468
07-18-2015, 07:21 PM
when i saw your title i thought it was a carlisle tire blowout sale, lol.

i used to wrap a tie down around the center of the tread after it was mounted and just snug it up without distorting the tire . . then fill it with air . . this reduces the chance for blowouts and forces the sides of the tire out under pressure so it mounts easier.

you can also run a strap thru the center and secure the end to something like the neighbors dog or the cat, so if it blows up, you wont have to go looking for it...as long as they have a really big dog or cat.

we sent one into the ceiling in the R and D department at kawi that was actually bolted down to the lift . . it literally pulled the flat washer and nut right thru the hole in the lift . . everyone ran over to see what the loud noise was.

what did you lube it with?

Orangecnty250r
07-18-2015, 07:27 PM
when i saw your title i thought it was a carlisle tire blowout sale, lol.

i used to wrap a tie down around the center of the tread after it was mounted and just snug it up without distorting the tire . . then fill it with air . . this reduces the chance for blowouts and forces the sides of the tire out under pressure so it mounts easier.

you can also run a strap thru the center and secure the end to something like the neighbors dog or the cat, so if it blows up, you wont have to go looking for it...as long as they have a really big dog or cat.

we sent one into the ceiling in the R and D department at kawi that was actually bolted down to the lift . . it literally pulled the flat washer and nut right thru the hole in the lift . . everyone ran over to see what the loud noise was.

what did you lube it with?

Not sure what the shop put on to get me started....I never thought of the strap used in that manner....I am going to try that when I turn up the last one... thanks! I used the straps before to try to push them to the beads but these cement carlisles wouldn't have any of that. If you youtube tire explosions there is some pretty scary trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out there!

Orangecnty250r
07-18-2015, 07:28 PM
Oh a vintage carlisle and hoosier tire blow out would be nice wouldnt it!!

onformula1
07-18-2015, 07:56 PM
My father had a similar issue on a sand rail paddle tire we put it in the carport and hid in the garage with the door down when it blew the force pushed all the drywall up then the downforce took out the nails and all of it fell down everywhere the tire was in a perfect sheet.

He replaced all the drywall and build a cage.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

barnett468
07-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Not sure what the shop put on to get me started....I never thought of the strap used in that manner....I am going to try that when I turn up the last one... thanks! I used the straps before to try to push them to the beads but these cement carlisles wouldn't have any of that.

ok, many tire shops use a silicone based fluid but it's not great and it tends to dry up so it was probably not very slippery by the time you got it home . . you could try a liberal application of dawn or joy dish washing liquid straight . . good mineral or pao based engine oil will work too . . if it has ZDDP in it, its even better, however, im not sure of any adverse affects it will have on the rubber after a long period of time however, i doubt there will be much, if any . . they will also not come off the rim in your app if you ride it, but i wouldn't use oil on a tire i would run hard.

atc007
07-18-2015, 08:15 PM
After I discovered really good chemical patches. I was airing a Kawi 185 OE very used Dunlop rear up after patching it. It went off, blew me backwards, blew half the parts off the shelves 15 feet back in the shop. Lesson learned. The patch was soild as a rock on the portion of tire left around it :) I would have been using plain old 10w30 for bead lube on those. Glad we're laughing about a tire and not talking about a funeral.

6speedthumper
07-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Tire mounting is no joke. I've had to put direct air pressure from the compressor on some new tires. Our tire machine stops inflating at 50psi. Talk about a heart in your throat moment! I had a very suborn new tire, just recently, and after trying several methods of seating the beads, I ended up leaving it outside in the sun. It worked.

Orangecnty250r
07-18-2015, 08:41 PM
I had one seat a bit more after it sat in my Yukon in the sun for an hour after I got home. Ive also set them on the "Sun" rack. I will NEVER transport them with even 50 PSI in the truck again. I cant imagine that going off in the cabin of a vehicle.

onformula1
07-18-2015, 08:45 PM
I use KY Jelly

It works great, washes off with soap & water and the extra left on the bead turns to a sticking, kinda glue like so the tire doesn't spin.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

TrickyDickII
07-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Damn Bill! Glad you didn't get hurt. I also thought you were selling some NOS R/A's. lol Those tires were a PITA to mount even when new. The whole shop would always gather around when someone was mounting them for entertainment. We would lube the bead, strap the center, squirt a couple shots of ether and throw a match. It was pretty exciting! 60% of the time, it works every time. :)

Jmoozy27
07-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Honda bond is an expensive messy substitute but it works very well

oldskool83
07-23-2015, 11:46 AM
I like new tires and like to let someone else put them on....

That is a very think walled tire I see.

Orangecnty250r
07-25-2015, 09:16 AM
Here is a set of 18's soaking up some sun and 303 solution to get them ready for mounting this week!!! Much bigger and hopefully easier to mount than the 16s shown in the pic!

John_Neary
07-25-2015, 01:26 PM
I wanna kick myself every time i pass by my Rotax for not making sure the RA tires on it did not dry rot =/

atc007
07-25-2015, 01:33 PM
They're out there somewhere John. I don't have any NOS or I would help out. Yours are 18's right.

John_Neary
07-25-2015, 01:37 PM
@atc007 - Yeah mine are 18x8.50-8, ive been doing searches for Carlisle RA and Carlisle Turf Chief with no luck so far.

Orangecnty250r
07-25-2015, 01:42 PM
I wanna kick myself every time i pass by my Rotax for not making sure the RA tires on it did not dry rot =/

If successful these are slated for the old school can am/bombardier Franks 3 wheeler.

John_Neary
07-25-2015, 01:44 PM
@Orangecnty250r - What do you put on your tires to protect them from aging?

atc007
07-25-2015, 06:05 PM
I use 303 protectant. I haven't been using it long enough to say yes or no it's better than anything else.. I think that's what Bill has on these. Makes them very black and sexy, but little greasy oily mess. It is salty stuff.

KASEY
07-25-2015, 06:42 PM
MAN GET A PIECE OF PIPE,,,,,, the diameter of the tire before it has air in it,,,, slip it inside that's what I had to do with go kart tires, that way the only way it can go is outward ,,,,,

atc007
07-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Do me a favor Bill.Whatever synthetic oil you have there at the shop. 30 wt ,10w 30,whatever. Oil the crap out of the rim, and liberally on the inside and outside of the tire beads. They should pop right on like butter. I love Kaseys idea, never heard that one!

Orangecnty250r
07-25-2015, 10:29 PM
Yes, I use the 303 Aerospace protectant, I pick it up on Amazon. I believe it was Mike at Vintage that turned me on to that. I will NEVER use anything else again. When it is first sprayed on it looks like the other slimy tire shines but it drys to this nice black non oily look.

I will definitely try the synthetic oil. These 18s have more flexible side walls but the flat area of the tire is pushed in and stiff. I want to add air slow to avoid cracking them as the air is put in so I may still tube it. Right now there is no cracking anywhere. Kasey, I must have had a long day..... I am having trouble picturing the technique.

atc007
07-25-2015, 11:27 PM
18 or 19 inch sleuce pipe.So the expansion has to push on the bead rather than out. Slick :) They'll pop right on with oil.

TrickShot
07-25-2015, 11:38 PM
Kaseys idea looks like this, just put the pipe over before you air it up so tire can only expand sideways.

wamulass
07-26-2015, 12:27 AM
Carlisle turf chief is discontinued about 5 years ago. There are plenty of other "turf" treads in that size available still. BTW that picture of the blown tire is scary. I recommend a tire cage when inflating tires. Thats the way I was taught to do it. And I work at a tire store. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some more "turf chief" if they ever come around. Get plenty of barely used tires taken off only because of age. We just throw them unless anyone wants them