PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Shaft Drive

Tecate250
07-08-2015, 10:42 AM
So Ive had this ideal for quite some time. Love my 1985 Tecate to death. But I want something that will do what I want. I do alot of off roading with my tecate. Places people tell me i shount be with a rare bike like this. So i have 3 Tecates. 1 84 and 2 85 frames. 1 85 frame was cut up to put a klt 250 motor in it. SO I want to try to put a 300 bayou motor and rear end in my cut up Tecate frame. So I can use tecate front end and fenders to make my "utility bike look like a racer "with racks" lol. I dont know how much of the klf frame ill need to use. Or if this can even be done fairly easy. Air box and rear suspension on the tecate would proly not get used. And this is one of those 1-2 wd rear axels. Pros and cons of these? Seems like a stupid idea to me. Pics comming soon. Nothing has been started yet. Just want some feedback over this.

Jmoozy27
07-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Seems like major surgery. It would be nice to keep the suspension. I say go for it if you have the time. It would be interesting.

3 Wheel Drive
07-08-2015, 03:07 PM
This sounds like an interesting project, I found this on Google.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=218158&stc=1

ps2fixer
07-08-2015, 03:57 PM
I'd say take the rear half of the quad frame with the shaft components and suspension and rear + lower engine mounts and fab from there forward to match it up to the tecate front half of the frame.

My dad did similar with an old USA made trike that had a 5hp brigs engine, he put a Suzuki 370 motorcycle front end on it. Frames were about 1-2 inches off from each other, so he just welded pipe between the two frames where they overlapped. He literately built it in an hour. Wasn't pretty, but wow what a wheelie machine from what I remember. The only problem with the build was he didn't think how to tighten the chain afterward, he tried to put a car hub on to be adjustable, but I guess it never worked as he sold the frame to a friend and kept the engine.

Good luck and pics are always interesting to see :P