PDA

View Full Version : Depressed

rebel33382
07-03-2015, 06:02 PM
I just bought an '85 Big Red that has been in storage for the past 29 years, bike was mint, till my nephew hit a post and flipped it today. What are the chances of me finding a NOS right fender, NOS rear rack, NOS left brake handle, and a NOS front rack??? I just want to keep it mint. I have been waiting for a trike like this for the past decade!!
Thanks in Advance,
Jay

rebel33382
07-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Pic number 2

rebel33382
07-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Pic number 3

hoosierlogger
07-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Bummer for sure! That one probably should have been shelved and not ridden by anyone but yourself. Get a not so nice one for the other riders.

ebaccm26
07-03-2015, 06:48 PM
That's a shame, bike looks like it was really clean. I am sure you can locate all the parts you will need but they are not going to come cheap.

barnett468
07-03-2015, 07:37 PM
you might be best off fixing the racks then respraying them with catalyzed paint.

i would not ride a bike like that, it belongs in a museum . . it was worth a mint.

Jmoozy27
07-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Man that sucks, you have to watch those kids. Hope you kind find what you need but that can be fixed easily. Everything but the fender.

Jwheeler
07-03-2015, 11:44 PM
That's too bad that happen. That's why you don't let anybody ride your ride. Hopefully your nephew has a good job and or a thick wallet. A lesson learned. Good luck. :(

Scootertrash
07-04-2015, 07:39 AM
That's too bad, nice machine.

Problem with three wheelers is people don't know how to "ride" them. Sure, they can putt around the yard fine for a bit, but then they think they've got it figured out. A lot of times it doesn't take long for them to find out they're wrong. ;)

My rule is if you haven't ridden trikes before then no, you can't ride mine.

Biggest rule is: If YOU break it, YOU fix it. No exceptions!

ironchop
07-04-2015, 10:50 AM
I hope your nephew didn't get hurt, first and foremost

Looks like it was mint like you said. Damn shame.

I been riding trikes since the early 70s and I still make mistakes borne of too much confidence. Sometimes you can do all the right things and still get the wrong result. I'm sitting here with a broken ankle because of this.

How old is he?

rebel33382
07-04-2015, 12:57 PM
15 years old...

ironchop
07-04-2015, 01:37 PM
Well that's about the right age to learn how to rebuild your uncles trike you just wrecked.

Good luck.

sweetip2000
07-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Same thing happened to my bike. 15 year old got a 250SX for his birthday and cracked up all plastic on the bike, after that the bike sat in a garage for 29 years. Always remove the OEM plastic if you ride the bike. Get a set of Maier fenders for now and you will have to wait for the right perfect pristine plastic which will be very expensive. Look at the good side of things at least your son learned some respect for danger. And because its a 3 wheeler does not make it more dangerous. Accidents happen on every vehicle even skateboards and bicycles. What scares me the most are people who dont know how to drive a car and use a cell phone. Worse than drunk driving......

Chopsaw
07-04-2015, 09:17 PM
That's too bad, nice machine.

Problem with three wheelers is people don't know how to "ride" them. Sure, they can putt around the yard fine for a bit, but then they think they've got it figured out. A lot of times it doesn't take long for them to find out they're wrong. ;)

My rule is if you haven't ridden trikes before then no, you can't ride mine.

Biggest rule is: If YOU break it, YOU fix it. No exceptions!

AMEN ! Well said .

newfiebullet
07-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Omg man I would cry:( glad he's OK but wouldn't I ever be mad

M.Pargiello
07-05-2015, 11:31 AM
Make that boy work!

Might be me, but it looks like the frame is bent too... Never let people ride an original machine!

knappyfeet
07-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Yea...that photo indicates a bent frame. It's not a deal breaker just more work. Everything can be fixed. Unless your nephew stole it and rolled it....you should just be mad at yourself for giving him the o.k.

rebel33382
07-08-2015, 06:44 PM
So does anyone have a lead on where to get a NOS fender or racks?

captainweezy
07-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Last right rear nos I saw sold for $599!
When I get a call from someone looking to buy rear fenders Oem, even used i just start laughing. Good luck.

rebel33382
07-08-2015, 09:35 PM
I would pay up to 500 to get the bike whole again

Yamaha3wheeler
07-09-2015, 09:33 PM
I live near new Orleans. Where in the hell did you find a bike like that down here. Majority of bikes down here are mudded and junked. I don't want to let you down but you may not come across new OEM again, ever. Might find some used stuff. Just keep searching. You never know, maybe you will get really lucky. If you do find it go buy a lottery ticket right after.

Life is worth much more than a 3 wheeler. Luckily he is okay and I'm sure he didn't want to crash it. He probably feels really bad.

Jmoozy27
07-09-2015, 10:58 PM
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/snw/5115155963.html

Just saw this not too far from you. It's worth a shot. Get them to send pics. It may be in really good shape. It would be a bunch of extra parts in case something happens again.

fabiodriven
07-09-2015, 11:30 PM
I once mailed a title to my pickup to a "friend" in another state where the pickup was parked. Never saw the truck again. Another time I got caught speeding by the same cop on the same street two days in a row. Then there was the time I left the crane up on the catch basin truck and ripped down wires, twice.

I can sit here today perfectly content admitting these things in this thread because I can honestly say I've never let my young nephew ride my NOS Big Red. I'm making light but my god man... It's just not even funny.

fabiodriven
07-09-2015, 11:50 PM
That particular trike must have the absolute highest crash percentage specific to any one vehicle. Imagine that machine sitting all those years, minty fresh, unridden, untouched... Then one day someone fires it up after all that time, such care given to such a beautiful machine, and some kid jumps on and piles the thing directly into a pole. $5000 turned into $1000 in the blink of an eye. Amazing.

rebel33382
07-10-2015, 07:31 AM
If anyone get a lead on a NOS fender front/rear rack please PM me!

83ATC185
07-10-2015, 08:33 AM
I'd be in jail right now if i was in your shoes. That has to be the worst feeling known to man. Like finally taking the '59 Ferrari that's been passed down to you for a drive, getting to the end of your street and getting t-boned by a drunk that ran a stop sign. Here's to hoping the guy that sold it doesn't see this :beer

fabiodriven
07-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Don't forget about a NOS frame because you're gonna need that as well!

dman10
07-11-2015, 07:35 PM
For sure not the brightest move on your part. I've never let my friends ride the special ones because they're idiots. I just bought a 90% original 350X that Ill throw some ratted plastics on, take out to a open field and let one or two special people ride. And then that will be it. Nobody but me ever again. Sucks on the machine man. Good luck fixing it up.

poohbee1
07-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Its just a toy put some maiers on it and have fun with it . It will never be what it was enjoy it. I hope the kid is ok that's what really matters in the end.

bkm
07-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Its just a toy put some maiers on it and have fun with it . It will never be what it was enjoy it. I hope the kid is ok that's what really matters in the end.
Agreed. These things are no fun unless they can be enjoyed.

ironchop
07-13-2015, 09:32 AM
a lot of the folks blaming the victim here can be seen elsewhere on this forum talking about "he who commits the actual act is the one to be held responsible for that act. It isn`t up to other people to save you from yourself. That is a nanny state"

reminds me of Clinton Era social engineering with that disgusting "it takes a village to raise a child crap" and my other favorite "we have to blame society for the actions of each individual"...."its someone else`s fault for not supervising the village idiot because teaching the village idiot to be responsible is just out of the question. We must forego teaching him and just monitor and control the living F@#K out of him instead.

Taking things away from people or denying them access from things in order to protect those things and the people who would wreck them is precisely what half this place is constantly complaining about and yet here we are talking about how some people should be banned from having any access to certain things before bad things happen.....sounds like Liberalism.

Interesting observation, I must say

oscarmayer
07-13-2015, 10:26 AM
he is a kid. a kid will be a kid and they have no respect for anything like ATCs and such. the kid is ok. that is all that matters. bent metal and broken plastics are things. life itself is most important. I think a lot forgot that. yea dumb move using stock nice plastics, but it happened. time to move on. now he can take the other fenders off, sell them on ebay and get enough $ to buy a set of meirs or at least part of it.
good luck and again glad the kid's ok. yea it sucks, but right now it's like a glass is spilled milk. gonna keep crying or clean it up and move on?

fabiodriven
07-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Don't over think it Doug. You got a mint ATC you don't let someone inexperienced ride it. Very simple.

ironchop
07-13-2015, 10:46 AM
I had a mint ATC, john........I rode it and scratched and bent it all up all by myself. A truly mint collector is never ridden even by its owner.

But blaming the owner because a kid is a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro is deflection.

Society needs people to be responsible for their own actions. Making others responsible for someone's actions is counterproductive and is the reason this country is living in denial

Even simpler don't you think?

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

Flossyb20
07-13-2015, 02:03 PM
You got a mint ATC you don't let someone inexperienced ride it. Very simple.
Seems like common sense to most of us, which leads me to believe there's more to this story than the OP has told us. Either way, calling it unfortunate is an understatement.

atc007
07-13-2015, 03:27 PM
Over 2300 views and not one word that is a 87 :),,:)... But then again, at least 4 people in my family HAVE seen or heard Bigfoot :crazy::lol:...For the record, I would LOVE to buy that bike. I PM'd him, but I don't think that's an option, He never responded.

Jmoozy27
07-13-2015, 08:34 PM
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/snw/5115155963.html

Just saw this not too far from you. It's worth a shot. Get them to send pics. It may be in really good shape. It would be a bunch of extra parts in case something happens again.

I got the seller to send me some pics... Looks like a stock 87 to me but I'm no expert... Experts please chime in...
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=218427&stc=1

Jmoozy27
07-13-2015, 08:40 PM
A few more pics...http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=218428&stc=1http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=218429&stc=1

oscarmayer
07-13-2015, 09:17 PM
amazing machine!!!!

atcmatt
07-13-2015, 09:25 PM
It's just an 87. No biggie. It's the 88 super red that is more rare!!

Matt

poohbee1
07-14-2015, 09:19 PM
a lot of the folks blaming the victim here can be seen elsewhere on this forum talking about "he who commits the actual act is the one to be held responsible for that act. It isn`t up to other people to save you from yourself. That is a nanny state"

reminds me of Clinton Era social engineering with that disgusting "it takes a village to raise a child crap" and my other favorite "we have to blame society for the actions of each individual"...."its someone else`s fault for not supervising the village idiot because teaching the village idiot to be responsible is just out of the question. We must forego teaching him and just monitor and control the living F@#K out of him instead.

Taking things away from people or denying them access from things in order to protect those things and the people who would wreck them is precisely what half this place is constantly complaining about and yet here we are talking about how some people should be banned from having any access to certain things before bad things happen.....sounds like Liberalism.

Interesting observation, I must say
I cant see where you coming from at all .In 1986 I let a friend of mine ride an almost new tecate .The next thing you know its bent up against a fence post and the poor kid will never go threw a metal detector at the airport without it going off. My friend offered to pay for the damages but I would not take it . Personal responsibility to me is I shouldn't have been a dumb ass and let him ride it. I got what I deserved I was just glad he was ok after a few operations. And im hardly a liberal

ironchop
07-15-2015, 10:53 AM
I cant see where you coming from at all .In 1986 I let a friend of mine ride an almost new tecate .The next thing you know its bent up against a fence post and the poor kid will never go threw a metal detector at the airport without it going off. My friend offered to pay for the damages but I would not take it . Personal responsibility to me is I shouldn't have been a dumb ass and let him ride it. I got what I deserved I was just glad he was ok after a few operations. And im hardly a liberal

I`ll agree with you. I went off the Reservation with that one. It was a rather aggravating day that day and after re-reading it this morning, I ran off onto a dirt road with this comment.

I had a neighbor in 87 who had his 350X stolen. The theif then ran it off the road and hit a culvert during his getaway. He was arrested yet he was able to secure an attorney and SUE the rightful owner of the 350X for his injuries and "Lost revenue" (from stealing? wtf). My neighbor LOST and had to pay this POS....for "maintaining a common nuisance". In Indiana at the time "common nuisances" included swimming pools and trampolines as well as ATVs. A 12 ft tall fence is deemed inadequate by the Indiana civil code as an acceptable deterrant.

I get out of sorts when I see people blame the owners of certain things for the dumb things they do to get hurt and destroy property. That is what got me all up in a rant and acting a fool.

It felt like, to me, that a lot of people wanted the OP to be at the top of the blame list despite the obvious evidence pointing to the fact that whoever was riding that thing was FLYING in order to tear up that much stuff. I felt like regardless of his ability, he was still riding someone else`s property like an asshole instead of being respectful and taking it easy.

In my opinion, it isn`t like when you keep a four year old locked outside of your swimming pool fence in order to prevent a tragedy and believe it`s your responsibility to protect a child from themselves. This kid was much older and should have some respect for other people`s property. That`s exactly why I asked him how old the kid was. I blame the fifteen year old more than I blame the OP.

As for your experience, I can see your side as well but in your case, Tecates are mean as hell and can get away from you very fast whereas a BR has to be intentionally and patiently pushed to top speed. I can understand the need to keep the T3 under lock and key whereas the BR takes a lot more dumb to tear it up as bad as that one looks.

either way, it was unfair to use the Broad brush to paint everyone the color Suck just because I was mad at someone else on a completely different thread.

I stand corrected and apologize.....for this thread.

Rock on, poohbee