PDA

View Full Version : 86 250R ATC tool box work on an 85?

arlaunch
06-30-2015, 07:30 PM
Hi Fellas,

I have a 1985 250R ATC. I need a tool box for it.

I have searched and searched the threads but can't figure out if a 86 box bolts to an 85.

On another note anybody know if the frame grommets transfer between the 2 years as well.

I am referring to the rectangular grommets with the 3 holes on top and two protrusions on the bottom that sits towards the back of the seat but not all the way.

Thanks,

Mr. Clean
06-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Yes and yes. The only reason the 85 tool box was different was the carrier spanner wrench.

Onetrackmind
07-02-2015, 06:10 PM
I have an 86 box on my 85 and it works just fine. I just recently sourced a 85 toolbox complete with all of the appropriate hardware that I had round up from several sources.

FYI, the two years have completely different boxes and thus completely different mounting systems. They do not mix.

About the grommets...I believe you are talking about the Fender Settings. ServiceHonda shows them as different part numbers and I don't know for sure if they are interchangeable. They may though...

If I'm not mistaken, I think there is a member that fabs the ones for an 85 and sells them in the marketplace. If not, I bet you can find a set on eBay.

One more thing about the box. Does your frame still have the "bendy" wire stay welded to the tail light bracket? On the 85, that is the majority of the support for the box (the 86 has pretty substantial metal stays that use the box mounting bolts-a much stronger support IMO). If you don't still have the wire stay on your frame, I would just source all of the parts for the 86 box and call it good.

arlaunch
07-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks for that.

I have a new box on the way.

I am hoping i can put the 85 lid on it.

If not.... No big deal.

I am at some point this summer or fall make a huge post about how to rebuild all the brake calipers and the master cyclinders.

This site has been very helpful.