PDA

View Full Version : Can i grind the top mount of my 84 200x shock? or will she blow?

hawaiirider
06-29-2015, 09:11 PM
im fixn to put a 84 200x rear shock in my zuki frame. The bottom mount bolts right up, the top is too narrow... it would be much easier to grind the top of my shock mount down then reweld a new mount, can this be done? i see the nitrogen bottle is right below the mount and it IS charged.
thanks217653

onformula1
06-30-2015, 01:19 AM
You will be fine, just don't get it so hot that you melt the rubber hose, go slow and let it cool in between.

I would press out the bushing sleeve first. (I can't tell if you did from the small picture)

Tip- sanding aluminum is better, straighter and cleaner then grinding it- a belt/disc sander with red aluminum oxide 100 grit discs work the best. (Ace Hardware makes the best discs) you could use a 5" or 6" disc on a drill but it's harder to get it square. 320 grit will smooth it out afterwards, keep going up in grits if you want to polish it up.

I have done this many times, I used to mount WP KTM 125 shocks in a Kawasaki KX100, Huge upgrade.

hawaiirider
07-01-2015, 09:35 AM
It worked, job complete. i am missing the top shock mount bushing and bolt does anyone on here have one theyd sell there isnt one on ebay..

El Camexican
07-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Tip- sanding aluminum is better, straighter and cleaner then grinding it
... and a lot safer. A non-aluminum specific disc, or stone can literally explode anytime during or after it has been used on aluminum.

onformula1
07-01-2015, 11:02 PM
It worked, job complete. i am missing the top shock mount bushing and bolt does anyone on here have one theyd sell there isnt one on ebay..

Sorry, everything I have is going to be used, but you can still buy them new-

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1984/ATC200X+A/REAR+SHOCK+ABSORBER/parts.html