PDA

View Full Version : 85 250r carb replacement opinions

trikeguy2014
06-26-2015, 07:01 PM
So I will be replacing my worn out 34mm round slide carb on my 250r... I am stuck between the keihin 34mm pj and 35mm pwk... I am mostly stock over then a full FMF pipe... I want something like the carb I have basically a direct replacment... So what do you guys think... Also I want to know if I choose the 34pj or 35pwk will I need a different throttle cable... Any help opinions would be great

yaegerb
06-26-2015, 07:40 PM
38MM PWK. Get it from Eddie Sanders and get the throttle cable too. 48 pilot and 162 main will be perfect. Needle clip 2nd from top. That should be about right for ya.

Red Rider
06-26-2015, 07:44 PM
I went from a 34mm PJ on my '86 250R to a 35mm PWK, and it was a nice, slight performance increase, with slightly snappier throttle response and mid-range power. I did need to switch throttle cables, but if I remember correctly, that was because the '86's throttle cable was inseparable from the stock PJ's carburetor cap. I liked the performance of the 35mm PWK, but I preferred the ease of idle adjustability on the PJ series carbs. When I upgraded to a 38mm carburetor several years later, I chose a 38mm PJ. If you're interested, I still have the 35mm PWK cleanly packed away, $50 shipped. Pics available on request.

RIDE-RED 250r
06-26-2015, 10:08 PM
All good advice given thus far..

Personally, I would recommend the 38mm PWK/AS. I had one on a stock cyl with exhaust and intake mods. It's not overkill on a stock cylinder with bolt-on mods at all. It really wakes em up! Plus, that carb will still work well with more extensive mods if you choose to add more down the road.

I have found the PWK carbs to be very responsive to tuning changes.

Currently I am running a 35mm PWK on my OEM cylinder with bolt-on mods 250r. My 350 big bore is running a 41.2mm PWK from ESR.

If you go with the larger carbs (38mm and up) I would highly recommend the UPP intake from ESR. It makes installation MUCH easier with the larger carbs. I know some guys have been able to get it done without the UPP intake by using a heat gun/boiling water and alot of patience and massaging.... So that is just my opinion.

As stated above, you will need the correct cable for those carbs. Your OEM unit will not work.

I have only had experience with one PJ carb and I did not like it. I didn't care for the idle speed being set by turning the choke knob. That carb was a PITA to tune in.. Maybe it was just that particular carb, or something else going on with the engine, but either way I didn't care for it, and it made me appreciate my PWK's.

I do have one complaint about my PWK's and it seems to be a common issue with other folks too: The idle speed screw seems to be a little too short. Both of mine (and from what I have seen/heard from others) are idling slower than I would like, and the idle speed screws are run about as far in as they can go. And yes, my pilot circuits are dialed in pretty good. They idle reliably, just a little slower than I would like.

trikeguy2014
06-27-2015, 08:27 AM
I looked on esr and the 38mm pwk... I take it the throttle cable you can add for like $18 is the right one for what I'm needing?

yaegerb
06-27-2015, 10:24 AM
I looked on esr and the 38mm pwk... I take it the throttle cable you can add for like $18 is the right one for what I'm needing?

Yep that's the one. I strongly recommend NOT getting the machining options. I have seen where boots fall off with that option. It's a little more labor up front, but less headache down the road to heat up the boots and stretch them over the carb bells.

Also, Glamy is 100% correct. You can save money by buying from EBay. Below is a guy I have purchased from in the past.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/331591680886?nav=SEARCH

The only Problem is they are a slow to deliver. If you want it super fast go with ESR and pay more.

trikeguy2014
06-27-2015, 10:57 AM
If I replaced my throttle cable with a motion pro from eBay a couple months ago can I adjust it to work with the bigger 38mm keihin...

RIDE-RED 250r
06-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Guys, are you sure you are comparing apples to apples with the carb prices between ESR and others?? Meaning, comparing 38mm AirStryker to 38mm AirStryker?

I could very well be mistaken and will stand corrected if so, but it seems like last time I compared equal models, his prices were about on par. Doing a quick check on Google Shop it seems he is right in there with the rest for a 38mm AirStryker.

One nice thing about Eddie, he is more likely to throw in an extra goodie or 2 with a new carb. I partial traded him my 38mm AirStryker for a new PWK 41.2. When the package arrived it included his new carb wrench/jet holder loaded with $30 worth of new jets to boot. That's always cool. :)

I would like to add: If you think you may want to have a 38mm carb bored to a larger size in the future, you might not want to get the AirStryker version. The vanes in the venturi make boring the carb more difficult. Eddie himself informed me of this and it makes sense to me. Get a non-AirStryker PWK if you think you might want it bored larger in the future.

Marty
06-27-2015, 03:38 PM
If you care nothing about aesthetics but more about performance than get like said earlier a 38 A/S! Whomever you choose to buy from also purchase cable , and please have both sides of carb machined it will save you minutes of heartache on install. I had my A/S machined and made sure clamps were installed properly and had a few years of maintenance free troubles on it, good luck with your build.

trikeguy2014
06-27-2015, 04:03 PM
think i am just going order from ESR and get the 38mm pmk... i can have the air box side intake machined and i am in need of the new intake boot as mine is showing some dry rotting... i will just get the upp intake to replace mine so no need for machining... go ahead and get the throttle cable and the 250cc jetting set and i will be ready to go... decided to go this route to save headaches now and leave plenty of room for more performance down the road... think i will start with the jetting yaegerb suggested and see where that takes me...

thanks for the replies ill report back after i get the parts and get it put on

RIDE-RED 250r
06-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Good choice man... Once you get it tuned in you will be very happy with that setup. :beer

RIDE-RED 250r
06-27-2015, 11:22 PM
That 40mm for $179 shipped is a hell of a deal! There are some deals out there. Wasn't looking to step on your toes man and hope I didn't come across that way.

Eddie has been known to sweeten the deal at times. He has for me and for others. Definitely worth a little email correspondence. ;)

onformula1
06-28-2015, 12:20 AM
Check out-

http://www.sudco.com/

It's where many shops buy their carbs from, there is some good info on the site when comparing carbs/info.

RIDE-RED 250r
06-28-2015, 01:51 PM
I like money just fine....it's the pursuit of it that is tiresome for most of us.. ;) :beer