PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda 250R ATC Brake Caliper Overhaul Question

arlaunch
06-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Howdy Fella's,

I have 2 full sets of brake calipers and master cylinders on my bench right now ready to overhaul. Both were a nightmare to disassemble due to metal corrosion welding.

Oh well... It was fun.

I have all of the new overhaul stuff being prepared and shipped as i type.

The question i have is this: How do you guys go about cleaning these things prior to re-assembly?

These things have so much rock hard grime, corrosion and toxic caked on brake fluid i do not know where to start.

Also.... How do you get them painted again? Powder coat, normal paint, blah blah blah?

Anything helps,

Thank you,

Forrest

82 250r
06-23-2015, 05:44 PM
I use a "CLR" "Lime Away" type product to dissolve it AFTER i carefully scrape away the big stuff with a small pick. Take your time so not to damage the caliper.
Don't leave the "CLR" "Lime Away" on too long because it can damage the aluminum.

arlaunch
06-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Will do,

I was at the hardware store today and saw a lot of cleaner degreasers that said do not use with aluminum or don't keep it on very long.

I think i will try soap and hot water first to get the big stuff loosened up and off.

I have a packet of tobacco pipe cleaners that i use to clean my hunting rifle. Maybe those will prove helpful in this application as well?

I will have a look at CLR and give it a shot.

Still not sure what to do about painting all this stuff black again?

Thanks for your time.

arlaunch
06-26-2015, 01:35 AM
My powder coat shop down the road says they can cover up all the holes no problem.

fordnut79@hotma
06-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Soak in pine sol overnight
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117

oldskool83
06-26-2015, 02:09 PM
if your gonna beat the bike just mask it off and hit it with epoxy enamel spay found at lowes. then bake at 300 degrees for 10 mins....get nice and hard.

if your gonna do a nice redo powder coat it and just put in bolts in threaded areas.

I just rebuilt 3 calipers on banshee and didn't even paint them because its going to get run hard.

Dirtcrasher
06-26-2015, 08:06 PM
I sandblast all mine.

I just plugged the threaded holes and put green tape on the piston bore; Then I PC'd it.

I clean up the bore with a wheel cylinder 3 stone hone.

I clean those slide pin holes, when rusty, with steel wool on a phillips bit in drill.

Use silicone based grease when reassembling.

Never had a leak or any problems. As you experienced, getting them apart without destroying them is the hardest part. Drill holes from behind and put a zerk fitting in there after using a pin and press to get it apart.

If I'm in the water allot, I re-grease them. They work great for many years......