PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Shifter

atcmatt
01-20-2004, 05:18 AM
Hey,

I just got back from a week of strong, fun and hard riding on my 200es. The frist 3 days of the trip my gear shifter was tight (it had no free play when you moved it up and down, unless ofcourse you applied presure and it changed gears) If you had it in first and put a bit of pressure on it, it would disengage the clutch. This is normal im pretty sure. My clutch only starts to catch at higher rpm than normal becuase it must be worn out. Me and my dad then decided to adjust it thinking it probably had never been adjusted before. We adjusted it but it dident do anything.
Now my shifter is really sloppy and if you lift it up slightly it does NOT disengage the clutch like it used too. Sometimes it is also hard to kick into 2nd or 3rd gear.
One night while out spotlighting I stopped at a gate and downshifted into neutral and then when i got back on it would not shift into 1st. I had to jump off and shift it with my hand with LOTS of pressure.

It does NOT jump out of gear either......if thats any help.

With all theses clues does anybody know what might be happening?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Howdy
01-20-2004, 09:06 AM
It sounds like you didn't adjust your clutch properly. I can't remember off the top of my head if it is right until you feel resistance or if it is left. Someone help me out here ( no book handy ).
Any how you turn it until resistance is felt and then turn it back 1/8 of a turn. This should fix the shifter problem.

It sounds like the centrifical clutch isn't engaging until higher rpm's. There is NO adjustment for this clutch. The closest thing there is to adjustment is the amount of weight it will take out of your wallet. Yep, replacement is your only choice. The good news is all the 185-200cc centrifical clutches inner change. A new after market one will set you back $45-50 ( US currency ). I might be able to save you some there also.
Thanks
Howdy

ejc042
01-20-2004, 09:31 AM
It is clockwise until you find resistence then back 1/8 turn. just did my faher-in-law's Big Red.

Tyler 54
01-20-2004, 09:37 AM
I hate to be the bearer of possible bad news, BUT. I am pretty sure that the newer Honda Centrifical Clutches are alot the same. MY 2003 250EX did the same thing. I work on all of my own toys, However this one is waranteed so why do it myself?? I took it in to the shop they adjusted it for me. It ended up being a broken spring in my clutch. They had to take it apart and replace, basically the whole clutch. If it was not for my warranty, I would have been out big cash.

atcmatt
01-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys, im going to go out shortly and try to fix this problem.

Later,

Matt

atcmatt
01-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Nup no go fellas, i tried what you said and it didnt do a thing! Any other ideas??

Thanks,

Matt

plkmonster2
01-21-2004, 02:35 AM
My yamaha's i had to turn it out, counterclockwise, and turn in 1/8 of a turn, try that.