PDA

View Full Version : 86 trx350 4x4 runs but not getting enough gas

shdtreemechanic
06-15-2015, 10:10 PM
Ok im trying to buy this trx 350 it's been freshly overhauled and bored 20 over now it runs but the owner says it's not getting enough gas can anyone tell me what might be wrong with it? Id like to hear some opinions before i buy it so i can fix it easily if possible. Thanks Jesse

fieldy
06-16-2015, 01:05 AM
Fuel tank through carburetor are fairly easy to clean. Rust in the tank is harder to clean up. If backfiring on deceleration, I'd say dirty carburetor. Blocked passages in the carburetor can have many symptoms though.

leevarnado
06-16-2015, 11:00 AM
if bored over with high compression piston might need to rejet.

atc007
06-16-2015, 11:31 AM
That has a fuel pump,most likely,,90%,, it just needs the carb cleaned really good. If it has all clean, stock jets, it should run fine.

coolpool
06-16-2015, 11:47 AM
That has a fuel pump,most likely,,90%,, it just needs the carb cleaned really good. If it has all clean, stock jets, it should run fine.

I think atc007 is on the right track. The fuel pump diaphragms are more than likely wore out. Hook up an external fuel source that will gravity feed and see if that does it.

xr650r
06-16-2015, 07:08 PM
2 liter bottle upside down drill cap out a little smaller then fuel line.Fill up halfway and drill a tiny air hole for vent.Clean carb

shdtreemechanic
06-16-2015, 09:27 PM
Ok thanks im gonna try to get it and see if i can make it run right, if i get it I'll let everyone know how it goes

big specht
06-16-2015, 11:20 PM
Those are a low pressure pump 2.5 to 3.5 psi I think we went threw that problem on one we had. A lot of the wiring parts are discontinued

barnett468
06-17-2015, 05:20 PM
you can NOT easily or even properly jet a bike if the float level is off very much, so that is the first thing i would look at and fix if it is off very far . . the test below will not only show you the gas level in the carb, it will show you if it is even getting gas or if it is flooding.

how old is the gas?

you can put an 8" long piece of clear plastic line on the float bowl drain fitting

turn the gas on at the gas tank.

loosen the screw on the float bowl and drain some of the gas from the float bowl into a narrow glass and look at it . . if it is yellow, it is bad.

look for a clear bubble in the bottom on the glass, if there is one, it is water.

afterwards, tape the top of the hose to the upper portion of the carb so the end of the line is near the top of the carb.

loosen the screw on the float bowl.

gas will enter the clear line.

the correct level for the gas on many carbs is around 1/8" - 3/16" below the main carb body where it meets the float bowl . . if it is above the bottom edge of the main body, it is likely too high and might be flooding it or causing a rich condition.

if you don't have a clear line you can use a black one . . just lower the open end of the line until gas comes out and gets on your engine and your floor . . the point at which it starts to run out will be the gas level . . smoking during this process is not recommended...for most people.

...........................................i think it should be at or just below the solid black line in your case.

.................................http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/motoforge/2010-08-01_013312_Float_level_adjustment.jpg

.................................................h ere's another and you can see the is level way too low.

........................................http://www.bbburma.net/FujiFotos/FloatHeight/DSCF2434.jpg