PDA

View Full Version : 350X score...

dman10
06-15-2015, 08:31 PM
So I went a picked up a clean mostly original 86' 350X today.
I paid $800 knowing the engine was seized somewhere and the clutch cable was busted.
Now its time to figure out what's seized. There is used, not new, not old oil in the machine, so that makes me think its not seized from running out of oil.
I would like to try and keep from removing the engine, so should I start by pulling the right engine cover and check around the kick starter? I just have a feeling the issue is related to the kick starter, no proof, just a feeling.
Anyways, tips? tricks? ideas?
Thanks,
"D"

oscarmayer
06-15-2015, 09:29 PM
awesome!!!!

You can test the motor itself this way.
Take the plug out.
Pit in 1st gear. See if it will push forward an turn motor over. it will be a little tuff but easier than with plug in. if motor turns (you will feel it) then problem is in clutch/kicker area. if it does not turn motor is hard locked and time to start taking it apart.

Hope this helps ya. this can be done with oil still in the motor.
i got a bad feeling something in the trans let go or someone performed maintenance incorrectly.

Jmoozy27
06-15-2015, 09:32 PM
Looks good, that is a good start. Maybe get a new clutch cable as well. Start with the easy stuff. Nice buy.

atc007
06-15-2015, 09:39 PM
Worst case scenario.. You are good to go. You got a good buy :).

dman10
06-15-2015, 09:41 PM
Went and tested it. Wouldn't budge. If it's the piston stuck in the cylinder, should the head still be good? I'm thinking the 85' project cylinder and piston with the 86' head

dman10
06-16-2015, 10:44 PM
Just as soon as It quits raining, I'm going to yank the engine.
Any links to engine disassembly? I don't wanna screw anything up. I guess I'll want new gaskets on anything I take apart, and I think I'll paint it while it's out. Spray paint, so any paint recomendations? I'm thinking it's just a semi-gloss black? And any higher quality spray paint will work? MAN I love this thing and I hadn't even rode it yet! The take is completely rust free btw. Makes me happy.

three50x
06-17-2015, 12:54 PM
I did mine black with the fins painted red. sprayed the motor black, then painted the red on with a fine brush. loved it

barnett468
06-17-2015, 11:10 PM
lay all the parts in order, there will be lots of washers.

you can leave it in for the moment and drain the oil.

remove the stator.

remove the clutch cover.

put a wrench on the crank gear nut and try to turn it.

if it doesn't turn, remove the clutch basket.

if it doesn't turn, remove the cam gear without dropping the chain . . put a wire thru the chain so it doesn't fall into the cylinder or just remove the chain.

if it turns, the cam is seized . . if it doesn't, the piston,rod or crank bearings are seized.

this link has free manuals and parts fishes

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

dman10
06-17-2015, 11:59 PM
Alright, thanks. I'll start tomorrow. I'll probably want to replace the gaskets to everything I remove correct?

oscarmayer
06-18-2015, 01:02 PM
yes. always use new gaskets. if your not using OEM, use cometic or Athena.

markdb420
06-18-2015, 08:14 PM
That is a pretty sweet looking 350x. Even doing a motor rebuild you still have a great deal!

dman10
06-19-2015, 01:26 PM
So I'm fine pulling it apart sitting up? Nothing's going to just fall out? Or do I need to lay it on its side?

sweetip2000
06-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Just as soon as It quits raining, I'm going to yank the engine.
Any links to engine disassembly? I don't wanna screw anything up. I guess I'll want new gaskets on anything I take apart, and I think I'll paint it while it's out. Spray paint, so any paint recomendations? I'm thinking it's just a semi-gloss black? And any higher quality spray paint will work? MAN I love this thing and I hadn't even rode it yet! The take is completely rust free btw. Makes me happy.

Did you try jump starting the bike ? As for the motor paint VHT. Try to get matte finish. Some of the cooling fins on the side should be aluminum exposed with no paint forgot which ones,,,,, god luck