PDA

View Full Version : i need to learn about an 84 tecate!!!!

vartiak15
01-19-2004, 10:39 PM
i might be able to get one i need you to tell me everything u know about them. are they hard to fix, are parts east to find, are they fast, whats top spped? just stiff like that and i need to see some pics of them. im dont no much about the tecates so fill me in.

atckowalski
01-20-2004, 12:12 AM
They are pretty easy to work on, parts are fairly easy to find and yes, they are fast. Top speed usually depends on gearing/jetting/tire size, but up to 75mph roughly. The one major thing that the tecate is synounmous for is, the flywheel magnets vibrating loose, due to the lack of dynamical crank balance,and wiping out the stator plate components as well. But , the good news is that ricki stator makes replacement parts for just that reason. Another thing is that the green gas tanks usually fade an ugly shade of green and do not match the fenders giving it a white trash look. Lucky for me that don't have that problem. :-D

JMiller
01-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Sweet Tecate! I just bought an 84 for $250 and its red too. Where can I get the red replacement plastics from.

Jeb
01-20-2004, 10:19 AM
That's not replacement plastics. Thats a cherry set of factory red plastic that used to be on my 84 KXT. I'm glad my plastics went onto such a fine 84 as aaakowalski's.

All you can get in red anymore is a low profile maier rear fender.

atckowalski
01-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Speaking of white trash, I have'nt had a chance to get my new grips and hand guards, incase anyone noticed :oops: and I had to make my own mudflaps.Thanks for the fenders Jeb and to all of you who compliment my wheels :-D
P.S. nice score on your 84, it is good to know there is still a little red left out there
See you at Trikefest 04

tecatecrazy
01-20-2004, 06:43 PM
hey aaakowalski, I noticed that you have the same seat cover as I do. How do you like the fit? the one I got was way too big and I had to fold it over in the rear,(looks like trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro). any way I just wanted a reason to post a pick of my red tecate. :-D :-D :-D ----Joe 8)

Jeb
01-20-2004, 06:49 PM
tecatecrazy! Thanks! I finally get to see a large pic of the 22x11-10 Kenda Front Max on a KXT!

Is that my old red tank?

BigGreenMachine
01-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Tecatecrazy, are those Turf Tamers stock size on aftermarket rims? Very nice bike.

I like that front tire a lot, wish I hadn't ordered the AT489.

aaakowalski, thanks for showing me what my ordered Spidertracks will look like when installed.

James

tecatecrazy
01-20-2004, 07:12 PM
yep Jeb, thats your tank! it was pretty much a toss up as to which tank I was going to use. my original tank is a little shinyer so I thought I would save it for when I get a new set of rear fenders. I dont mean to take over this post but I thought I would share one more pic. :oops: wider is better :-D

Jeb
01-20-2004, 07:20 PM
I don't want to hijack either, but did you get that gold linkage installed? :D

Wow, All my old KXT plastic in one post! 2 tanks, a front and rear fender, and fork guards! Well all except the original rear fender. Randy bought it and immediately wrecked and busted it! :D If any of it was to be busted that was the piece.

I only bring it up because I'm glad my parts went on nice Tecates that are well taken care of.

Trikeaholic
01-20-2004, 08:01 PM
seems more red ones survived than green ones! me and my bro got 2! an 84 and an 85. here is the 85 the night we brought it home. It was at trikefest 03 and If I can quote greenboy "this is the fastest thing I have ridden here....". But, I think Him and Mik6 killed it. It wont run for chit now, so its sitting. So far, we have a cal fab for it, an oem front fender, and an oem front tire for it. someday we'll get to it, but Im really interested in seeing my bros 84. hes got the total jimmy white replica thing going. Cant wait to see it.GET TO WORK!!!

hondatrikesrule22
01-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Somebody has flipped her judging by the clutch lever :shock: . Other than that nice bike ;) .

Jeb
01-21-2004, 12:24 AM
Heres mine from it's JWR stage back in the 90s. This is the set-up I miss. Not quite the same parts spec'd in the manual but close enough.

+2 WestCoast Swingarm
+6 axle
DG Pipe/ Cobra Silencer
Mikuni 38mm flat-slide w/ UNI filter & Boyessen Reeds
18x9.5-8" Nankang Turf Tamer Copies
8x8 ITP gold steel rear rims

I never got around to moving the tank backward and grinding the stops to the JWR manual specs. I was also missing a red screen plate.

It was hard to flip this trike. it would flat spin out in a turn before it would two wheel. They were awesome racers.

TeCaTe_MaN
01-21-2004, 12:29 AM
whats up with all you guyz and your RED tecates...i didnt even know that many were made :D lol, j/k i did but i didnt think you all had one :D

atckowalski
01-21-2004, 12:51 AM
The seat cover fit just fine, the only thing hard about it was trying to install it with one hand(carpal tunnel surgery) but I got some help. I like the white frame on that 85.It gives me an idea :idea: Let's see white or blue :?
Get on it!, or get the heck off of it!!(get it?) ;)

Jeb
01-21-2004, 12:53 AM
Here's my 85 i had then. :shock: :D

ThreeKing
01-21-2004, 12:59 AM
I just spent a month repairing a tecate. It's fun to ride but the rear tires are too tall. It has the 85 rear hubs and 10 inch wheels.

Jeb
01-21-2004, 04:01 PM
I always liked those hi-flite seats on the 84 KXT that run up the tank!

Nice trike.