PDA

View Full Version : *** 1984 Honda 200es compression test question ***

bkvette3
06-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Hello, all.

Just did a compression test on my '84 200es. Here's what I got: cold engine, throttle closed, compression @ 75 lbs. With throttle wide open, cold engine, 150 lbs of compression. Is this the correct procedure for testing compression for the 200es??? Should the engine be at normal operating temperature or cold??? Throttle closed or wide open??? I am just not sure. Need to know what is correct.

Thanks in advance.

barnett468
06-14-2015, 04:28 PM
not all gauges read the same . . some can read up to around 20 psi different from others .

your pressure will vary little from a cold to hot reading but a hot reading will be slightly more accurate.

i turn the gas off.

drain the carb bowl.

open the throttle all the way.

kick it over fast several times.

watch how much it increases with each kick.

if you have an accurate gauge then 150 psi is xlnt, especially if you are around 2000 ft elevation or more.

bkvette3
06-15-2015, 12:19 AM
not all gauges read the same . . some can read up to around 20 psi different from others .

your pressure will vary little from a cold to hot reading but a hot reading will be slightly more accurate.

i turn the gas off.

drain the carb bowl.

open the throttle all the way.

kick it over fast several times.

watch how much it increases with each kick.

if you have an accurate gauge then 150 psi is xlnt, especially if you are around 2000 ft elevation or more.

Thanks barnett468 - appreciate your opinion/comment.

Elevation here is 1,895 feet above sea level. Tomorrow after a ride , I am going to do another compression test, following your suggestion, with the engine warm to see what I get.

Thanks again.

barnett468
06-15-2015, 12:28 AM
Thanks barnett468 - appreciate your opinion/comment.

Elevation here is 1,895 feet above sea level. Tomorrow after a ride , I am going to do another compression test, following your suggestion, with the engine warm to see what I get.

Thanks again.

no prob, you're welcome.

even if your gauge reads 10 psi high, even 140 psi would still be good at 1900 ft because it would be around 149 at sea level . . if it doesn't smoke, you should be a happy camper.

just keep a really good oil in it, there are several to choose from . . this will help it last.

oscarmayer
06-15-2015, 08:48 AM
compression is fine for your level. as mentioned that gauge can be off. (unless your using a $150 setup). Check your valve lash (intake is .003 and ex is .003 as this is the center for both).