PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Honda ATC 125M Stator Rebuild

newby200x
06-10-2015, 12:18 PM
I thought I would share my latest DYI challenge since it was almost impossible to find someone wanting to part w/ a good used stator. I picked this machine up w/ a cracked case cover from the chain coming off, part of the cover made it to the stator and chewed up the wiring on the exciter coil. The rest of the voltage coils were in good shape. So after some research on the internet, I figured I would try and rewind the exciter coil myself.

1) I managed to cut all of the old wiring off using a utility knife, it wasn't easy and consumed some time since the wire is so small and wrapped so tight, but it does come off.
2) Then I broke the old epoxy/resin away from the terminals to test for continuity.
3) I picked up some 34 AWG magnet wire, this stuff is about the same diameter as your hair, extremely small, but fairly strong.
4) I left about 3-4 inches of wire and wrapped it around the right terminal and then started winding around the pole.
5) It took me probably an hour or longer to make all the loops in one continuous strand of wire to get back to where it almost used to be.
6) This is the tricky part, using a razor blade, scrape the insulation off of both ends of the wire. Then solder to the terminals.
7) Test for resistance, from what I found it should be between 100-300 ohms.
8) Epoxy all the terminals and wiring to protect from heat and oil.

I didn't get the greatest pictures and the ones I do have shown is from the first go around. I made it about 60% of the way w/ my windings and the wire tore. I went ahead and epoxied it and put it back together just to try it. It did have spark, but was weak and would barely start on ether. So I redid it again and put as many windings on there as I could get. This may not be the best tutorial, but for the hard to find replacement stators and for the $10 of wire it cost me, it is a good alternative.

newby200x
06-10-2015, 12:21 PM
217021 one more picture

YTZ drew
06-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Nice work! I used to know a guy who rewound stators for a living, but he fell off the map. Definitely not a repair that just anyone can do.

shortline10
06-10-2015, 07:31 PM
I should have a couple stators if your still wanting one ?
Pm me .

newby200x
06-10-2015, 09:21 PM
No need now but I could use a shifter and the reverse /neutral indicator switch that is incased with the stator if you have it?

shortline10
06-10-2015, 09:28 PM
I'll look tomorrow afternoon .