PDA

View Full Version : 200x HARD starting!!Also 250sx How do youZ??

12-03-2002, 07:41 PM
My 84 200x(Recent Rebuild)starts up on the 1st kick every time when the temp is above 50F but anything below 40f it is VERY tough to start if not impossible sometimes!!How do I fix it??And I got a 85 250sx with a tight clutch(It jumps into gears when you shift)...Where do I adjust the clutch on the machine??

Dirtcrasher
12-03-2002, 08:58 PM
I there gas at the plug when you choke the 200x? The sx has 2 clutches one centrifical - this is the one that spins free at idle and slowly engages as you press the throttle. The other automatic/manual clutch works just like a regular every day manual clutch on whatever. It works by an internal linkage which when you raise or lower the shifter opens and closes the clutch plates just as if you quickly pulled in a manual clutch. This clutch is adjustable on the case with a locking nut and a stud you turn to give more or less free play. If you pop into first at idle and its jumpy then the centrifical clutch is not freewheeling.

Dads
12-03-2002, 09:37 PM
On the sx. right side under the oil filter is the clutch adjust. you lousen the nut turn the screw ccw till you feel tention back of 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. I do 1/8. The 200x sounds like you need to richen the fuel a little for cold weather.Open the jet screw a little. if that does not help you will have to lower the clip on the needle.

jeswinehart
12-04-2002, 12:00 AM
hey scoop, i think dirtcrasher + are right bout the adjustments on your auto clucth,,, i have done the same adjustment on a couple of 110's the same way.
i have a 250 es (85-bigred) and got the clymers book out and it say's the auto clutch never needs adjusted (righttt) so i scanned a few pages out of it for you to look at if ya gotta get six knuckles deep into it.
you don't have the sx idled up to high do you ?
so anyway,,,,,,,,

John

jeswinehart
12-04-2002, 12:02 AM
page 2

jeswinehart
12-04-2002, 12:04 AM
page3

TimSr
12-04-2002, 01:29 AM
Your starting problems may be a problem with the pilot jet. It has nothing to do with the needle setting, and very little to do with the air screw. I had two with similar problems here. One the pilot jet was clogged, but this also made it hard to start when it was warm, and much more difficult in cold weather. The other ran fine all summer, but was a bear to start in winter, about the same symptoms as yours. I upped the pilot jet a few sizes, and its been fine ever since.

Im a little unclear on your clutch problem but Dirtcrasher is right in that the centrifugal clutch should move freely by hand when not running, and not be engaged at any time. The only time it should engage is if its spinning fast enough, with enough RPMs to centifugally push the little shoes outward enough to grab the drum. This has a very expensive bushing in it, I think its called a one way bushing or something, that can go and make it drag or partially engage all the time, or even stick fully engaged.

There are a few checks before disassembly. First, with it running pull the shifter all the way up and hold it there. You will hear it click when it goes into gear, but while its held up the clutch should be disengaged, as though you are pulling in hand clutch. If it tries to go forward while the shifter is up, the clutch is not disengaging. This can be caused by old or improper oil in the case,(most common) improper clutch adjustment of the manual clutch,(most have some kind of adjutment of the pushrod) or grooves worn into the clutch basket. If this all works fine, your manual clutch is probably okay. Does it stall if you put it in gear? If not, once its in gear, does sit try to pull forward when your not giving it gas? It may be as simple as the idle set too high, but Ill assume your beyond that, in which case you need to look at the centrifugal clutch. Ive never seen a cetrifugal clutch with any kind of adjustment other than the spring size. Remove the sidecover, and see if the drum turns freely without contacting the shoes. If there is contact, you may have crap holding a shoe out, a broken spring, or that one way bushing that the assembly rides on, on the shaft.

Howdy
12-04-2002, 10:04 AM
Just to add a little info. If your shifting and soon as you shift it into gears it wants to jerk then you have a adjustment / linkage problem. The jerkyness will be noticed whether the motor is rev'd up or at normal idle. this is normally a very easy repair and needs to be done with out taking the motor apart. If you take it apart after you re-assemble the motor you will need to adjust it also.

Dirtcrasher is correct about adjusting it. It sounds like that is where you should start. I can get ( scan ) the info from the book and post it if needed. Just let me know. FYI, The adjuster is on the right side case. It's the nut with the slotted bolt ( It's above the foot peg area on the side case ).

Tim Sr is 100% correct also on the adjustment of the auto clutch. Changing springs is the only adjustment. I never have seen it done, but it is possible.

John has posted some good info also. If you need to tear into it that info he posted is priceless.

12-04-2002, 06:06 PM
It may be it has 2 high an Idle,I can click the lever up the bike doesn't move,I can also leave it in 1st and let it idle and it won't move.This 250sx(I bought off ebay) has the original tires on it(with about 60 percent tread left),it still looks like it's a year old!!it's just pissing me off abit,sometimes it's fine but other times it crashes into 1 gear(From 1st to second and vice versa).I am going to go LOW on the idle though and see what happens from there....Thanks!!

Scoop
12-04-2002, 06:36 PM
I got this thing off ebay,it's looks almost new,It has about 60 percent tread left on the original tires.Anyways I have a feeling the oil has not been changed in a while(Maybe it has the original oil in it..LOL) this guy had it at his hunting lodge in canada,he only used it a few times a year and you can tell it's been used very little.I am going to change the oil and lower the idle,even if I have to put an new clutch in it's still worth the preice I paid for it....Thanks for the help guys!!