PDA

View Full Version : Attn 86 t3 guys!

NICKG
01-19-2004, 05:04 PM
I am in need of a good used right rad shroud. Here is the deal, i do not want to buy it, just borrow it to have it reproduced(i would use mine, but it is a repro) you will get it back. i will have these made. I just need a good used one to use as a mold master. I will gladly cut this person in. please email me direct or call me for details 973-823-0221
my plan is to make these and retail them for $50 or less (depends on how many i have made)
i am also interested in:
vented air box lids for the 86 model
std oem rear fenders for the 85 model
Edit : as of 1/22/04 this is not gonna happen, i have found over 25 nos rt shrouds and no one, not one f...ing one of you guys will sell one to me to be used as a mold.(and i have offered $300 for them) I cannot use cracked, or otherwise damaged shrouds for the mold(the company won't use it) so once again thanks. people like you guys make this very frustrating, i try to help out by putting up over $3000 in my time and my money to try and get these done and this is the outcome. shame as I am sur that they would have been nice. oh well i still can get parts for my 250r i guess

BigGreenMachine
01-19-2004, 05:36 PM
How would u make them, yourself or have a company make them for you?
If someone would send u a vented number plate and a fork/disc guard for the 85 Tecate, you should have them made too.

NICKG
01-19-2004, 05:38 PM
just need the part and $(about 1200 per) to have the mould made. then i would

monoxide
01-19-2004, 06:25 PM
man i don't want to sound like an asshole, but i have a mint cond. stock right shroud, and the vented airbox lid, i just dont see anyone trusting a stranger with this rare parts...feel free to PM me to have this reply removed, if you get affended....

NICKG
01-19-2004, 06:40 PM
i sent you a pm, if you have the parts but don't want to help out, don't reply. anyone who thinks i would keep these is wrong, i won't. i would have you ship these to the manufacturer, i would never see them(except the reproduced ones) Guys this is going to be a substantial investment for me, but if you don't help. there won't be any made

Tyler 54
01-19-2004, 07:20 PM
I have a Right shroud..Its no PERFECT. But You could possibly get a good mold out of it. How long would it be gone for?

NICKG
01-19-2004, 08:44 PM
call me 973-823-0221 or pm your phone and i will fill you in

Jeb
01-19-2004, 09:13 PM
I assume from the low tooling costs that these parts will be vacuum formed. I hope they use matched color plastic (or as close as possible, like Maier) and not painted black plastic! :D

Meat-BoX
01-21-2004, 01:00 AM
We need tanks for the Tecates. Do that and you would be helping humanity and getting rich.

sportvette
01-21-2004, 08:25 AM
there have been many tanks on ebay and they are not expensive.

NICKG
01-21-2004, 11:27 AM
forget the tank, if you knew how much that mold would cost , you'd choke.
the mold for 1 shroud is enough for me. and if i cannot find one to buy , i cannot do it anyhow

Jeb
01-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Nick, you have a PM.

86waterpumper
01-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Nick do you have any clue what these will cost apiece if you get them made?

NICKG
01-21-2004, 01:55 PM
it depends on several factors
1. cost of mold(i pretty much have the figure)
2 cost of the master shroud(needed to make the mold)
3 qty of units made (25-50 i am considering)
add all that together and then divide that by amount made, this gives me my gross cost.
as of now if someone gave me a stocker, and i made 20 i figure it to be about $45 to 55 each. bear in mind that if i have 50 done, the cost goes down a bunch. I will say that i am not going to put all this effort into this and sell them for my cost(i am a charitable person, but not a charity) i figure if i sell each one on the basis of making $5-10 each i will be happy. these are going to be of very high quality, made by a well known plastic maker and will have the correct as molded color and finish. the fit will depend on whether i send them my repro(same as every other persons) or an oem. but since i cannot obtain a good oem piece, it is possible that it may not happen. I cannot gaurante that the one i used for the master would not be scratched or discolored. so i have to buy one i think rather than borrow one, sad part is that several guys have many extras(but many bikes too). I do understand the reasoning behind it and respect that completely, but surely someone has an extra they would part with. It all boils down to same old tecate problems, there are those with the parts, and then there is everyone else. nothing seems to change that, so it may not happen

86waterpumper
01-21-2004, 02:06 PM
well I'd volunteer mine gladly, it's pretty well cracked up, and has been repaired in the center with some sort of putty or plaster and I don't think you could really get a good mold off of it. I will however be very interested in buying one or two if you have them made. I think you could ebay them and easily make the money you are talking about and more. Especially if you put on there that yours were MOLDED in the correct color instead of being painted like that other dudes. Speaking of him, I wonder if he would sell a mold, or could have another made. After all, his is a original mold supposedly. Who was that guy that was going to get the 350x fender flaps remade? Might find out what he was being charged for the setup costs and all.

p.s. as far as there being "many" tanks on ebay....yes there are, but the point is they are nearly all discolored from gas and not the correct color. Hence the reason tecate tank covers are so popular LOL. I agree though, reproducing a tank would be quite expensive indeed.

sportvette
01-21-2004, 02:28 PM
i didnt realize your point about the tanks being discolored. you are right it would be nice to have a good tank that didnt discolor.

Tyler 54
01-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Nick, I told you I would let mine go, BUT I WANT IT BACK WHEN FINISHED. It is not perfect but could be a good mold.

Waterpumper, I was the oen who wanted to get the 350X mudflaps made, I have yet to find a complete one or the other half to finish mine.

Here are some pic's of mine.

KXT
01-21-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm tryin to post a pic of my shroud, but for some reason I cant do it? I cant even send you a pm. with a pic. I keep gettin booted off the site when I try to post :x
If you have no luck getting a shroud, let me know. Maybe we can work somethin out.

JohnR.
01-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Nick,

I am in the northern NJ area. I'll try to look at the right shroud on my '86 on Saturday. I think it is in basically perfect condition but it may have a slight crack where the top bolt goes into the gas tank. When I say the crack is small, I mean less than 1/4" long and no plastic missing. If you are interested let me know, you could probably come see it since I usually bring the Tecate out when we go ice racing on Greenwood Lake.

John