PDA

View Full Version : 86 250 fourtrax down shifts hard need advice!!

shdtreemechanic
05-29-2015, 10:17 PM
ok so i have this 250 fourtrax today i changed the clutch pack because of a slipping issue anyways got everything back together and it works but now when u down shift i have to push the shifter hard and it only moves 1/2 inch or so, now shifting up it works correct what could be the problem? i thought i put everthing back the way it was but maybe i missed something. Anyways any help will be greatly appreciated. Jesse

atc500x
05-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Did you adjust the clutch with the increase/decrease screw on the clutch cover?

If it was working proprely before changing the clutch,there is something wrong,remove the cover

shdtreemechanic
05-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Did you adjust the clutch with the increase/decrease screw on the clutch cover?

If it was working proprely before changing the clutch,there is something wrong,remove the cover

I adjusted it every way i could, i did put stiffer springs on the clutch basket but i know i put it alk togethr right

YTZ drew
05-30-2015, 04:52 PM
I would bet money that the clutch actuator lever, #10 in the parts breakdown, is installed one spline off. I can't think of another reason for the clutch action to differ between upshifts and downshifts.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1986/TRX250+A/RIGHT+CRANKCASE+COVER/parts.html

shdtreemechanic
05-30-2015, 10:19 PM
I would bet money that the clutch actuator lever, #10 in the parts breakdown, is installed one spline off. I can't think of another reason for the clutch action to differ between upshifts and downshifts.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1986/TRX250+A/RIGHT+CRANKCASE+COVER/parts.html

Id say trailprotrailpro right another guy told me the same thing, its my uncles bike he's gonna ride it like that tomorrow. When i go to move it which way should i move it left or right? Is there a factory position?

YTZ drew
05-31-2015, 10:36 AM
It should be lined up dead center with the middle of the clutch. The shift shaft, actuator arm, and clutch assembly should all line up in a straight line. A ruler or a straightedge may help to determine alignment.

Jmoozy27
05-31-2015, 02:38 PM
It should be lined up dead center with the middle of the clutch. The shift shaft, actuator arm, and clutch assembly should all line up in a straight line. A ruler or a straightedge may help to determine alignment.

Isn't there an index mark that lines up?

YTZ drew
05-31-2015, 08:50 PM
Isn't there an index mark that lines up?
There may be. I've never been inside a fourtrax engine. I never noticed a mark on any of the 50-125 engines though, I always just line them up in a straight line.