PDA

View Full Version : airfooler help!

Dgaf 3 forever
05-28-2015, 11:36 AM
We ride every weekend. Two weeks ago we did some muddy riding. When we were done we washed and dried the bikes took for a quick spin and put them back in the shed. Last weekend we got to our riding spot got unloaded and all the 81 250r would do is let out a back fire every 20 kicks or so. So after going through everything I decided to pull start it. It fired up ran for about 2 min and dies like it runs out of gas. I tried 3 times same result. I used a multi meter and did some testing my owners manual says stator readings should be 245 ohms I'm only getting 215 ohms. I need a new stator right?

barnett468
05-29-2015, 04:40 AM
Two weeks ago we did some muddy riding. When we were done we washed and dried the bikes took for a quick spin and put them back in the shed. Last weekend we got to our riding spot got unloaded and all the 81 250r would do is let out a back fire every 20 kicks or so. So after going through everything I decided to pull start it. It fired up ran for about 2 min and dies like it runs out of gas. I tried 3 times same result. I used a multi meter and did some testing my owners manual says stator readings should be 245 ohms I'm only getting 215 ohms. I need a new stator right?
not necessarily, even though it reads low it may still work . . electrical is a bit weird . . also even though you rode it after you washed it, it could still be water related . . it would be unusual for your stator to suddenly loose resistance just because you washed it.

it would be helpful if you could tell us what tests you did . . a simple one would be to put the bike in the shade and lay the plug on the head so it is well grounded and kick it over . . if it has a pale blue spark then the electrical is definitely good . . another thing would be to try a new plug . . if you have spark then there may be water in the gas . . you can turn the gas on then put the float bowl drain hose in a narrow clear glass then loosen the screw on the bottom of the float bowl and drain around 2 ounces in it and look for a clear bubble on the bottom . . if there is one, it is water . . you can also unplug the connections and make sure they are clean and dry . . maybe bypass the kill switch if you have one . . also remove the stator cover and see if it got water in it..

Dgaf 3 forever
05-30-2015, 12:42 AM
Ok so the 250r sat for a week after its bath. Went to ride it thing wouldn't start after about 40 good kicks I decided to investigate. In the field I pulled the fuel line to make sure the tank hadn't plugged. Still was getting fuel. Air filter was clean, I removed it and gave it a squirt of starter fluid. After another round of kicks it didn't start. So I pulled the spark plug and checked for spark it was a light orange if any color. I could hear it crack but it looked weak.
Because this bike has always been a 1 kick wonder I was having a hard time believing that it broke just sitting in the shed. I decided I would pull it with the 350x . Tied it in and drug it a about 50 yards. Fired right up. I rode it back to the truck it seemed to have power in high range but as soon as I backed off I died. Like it ran out of gas.I repeated 2 more times. Same result.:-( I pulled the stator cover it had water inside.

Got it home and pulled out my manual did some reading.
I started at home by cleaning all electrical connections. Nothing. I replaced the plug with a fresh 1. Still just a cracking sound light Orange if any spark.
I found how to test the electrical system in the book. It sad "use ohm meter to test for continuity. All I have is a multi meter. It has an ohms setting. The book said to test the source coil disconnect the main lead from the engine. Test the red/black wire by touching the positive prong to black/red and the negative to a ground. If the resistance is anything other than (245 ohms) source coil needed replacing.
I'm still kinda new to the 3 wheeler thing. I have been 2 stroke now for some time about 3 years and still building!! Because I have found it hard to find some parts and gets spendy to just guess. I look for second opinions any time I can.
Hopefully that clears up my quick post. Thanks for the help

barnett468
05-30-2015, 02:09 AM
ok, here's a few options . . remove the flywheel and if it is rusty inside, or the ends of the coil are rusty, sand them and try it again . . if it still isn't better than you can call ricky stator and ask them how many ohms their replacement coils are . . if they are much higher like 230, it will generate more voltage and a stronger spark.

also, if your plug gap is more than around .036", i would set it to around .028" and see if that helps.

heres a ricky replacement coil and their phone number.

http://www.rickystator.com/product/stators/honda/honda-atc250r-source-coil-82-84