PDA

View Full Version : 1984 200es wiring help

beastybaconman
05-23-2015, 12:39 PM
I just picked up a 200 big red for $100 and the guy I got it from hacked up the wiring pretty bad. I have most of it sorted out but the ignition switch is all broken apart. So I was wondering if someone can help me bypass the switch. Do I need to put in a new toggle switch or can I just connect the wires and use the kill switch? Any help would be appreciated.

beastybaconman
05-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Messed with it a little more and figured out the red/yellow wire needs to touch the red wire and the neutral light comes on. So now because it doesn't have a pull cord I'm trying to figure out why the starter isn't working. The small wires on the starter relay were cut and I guessed and put the red/yellow one on the I side because it goes through the consent fuse and the DC consent to the ignition switch and I put the green/red one on the S side because it goes through the inhibitor switch to the start switch, is that the way they're supposed to go? It doesn't say on my wire diagram. Also, once I got the neutral light working, I was messing with it and if it's in gear and you push the start button the neutral light comes on, does that mean there's a short somewhere?

Jmoozy27
05-23-2015, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure about that model but on the 250es the black to red allows the starter and all electronics to function. How many wires connect to your ignition switch?

beastybaconman
05-26-2015, 09:19 PM
On my rig there's 4 wires black, green, red, and yellow/red. I took a closer look at the wire diagram and figured out the red and yellow/red need to be connected for everything to work. That first pic is my ignition switch for now haha. I also figured out one problem with the electric start, that second pic is the start relay out of an old ford that someone rigged up to it. Until I get a new one I made a tool that goes on the teeth for the pull start so I can just turn it over with a drill. Only problem now is that I have low compression, about 100 psi instead of the 159 +-14 the manual calls for.

oscarmayer
05-27-2015, 09:45 AM
honestly, if it is that boogered up, I would spend about $35-$55 and buy a good used harness for a 82-83 200e or 84-85 200ES trike on ebay.
will save you tons of time and a headache.

as you can see from this photo your starter relay is NOT factory and could be the issue.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-84-Honda-200E-200ES-Big-Red-Starter-Wiring-Solenoid-Complete-O-E-M-/321766154302?hash=item4aeac1e03e&vxp=mtr

here is a decent looking harness.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-83-HONDA-ATC-200ES-200-ES-3-WHEELER-ENGINE-WIRING-WIRES-ELECTRICAL-WIRE-/161399273813?hash=item2594257955&vxp=mtr

that harness comes with all electrical including new starter coil and cdi, so it is a great deal at $40

beastybaconman
05-27-2015, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info on the harness but I think I have it figured out good enough to make it run. I did order a new starter relay for $8 just to see if I could get the electric start working, but if that doesn't fix it I'm not going to worry about it cause I made my own electric start :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p80RVEIiOA