PDA

View Full Version : 83' 250r Swingarm Needle bearing

R6XTERRA
01-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Hey guys,

I am trying to order a needle bearing for my 83 250r. It goes into the swingarm pivot. I can't seem to find an ordering #. I was on partsfish and they do not show the Needle bearing as an option.

Has anyone ever ordered this before? Please help.

Thanks
Jeff

Albino
01-19-2004, 02:09 PM
I ordered all the pivot assembly from my local dealer,it took a week and finnally found allthe parts in storage in Red Deer Alta.(the pivot bolt and needle bearings cost me about $140 I think he said there was only one needle bearing left in Canada.Before I got the parts I was going to get the local Harley shop to make a neoprene bushing pivot assembly(custom)for about $100 but then the parts were found.Allthe pivot assembly cost $255 cdn.I know this doen't help but you can look into the neoprene bushing thing,it might be your only option.

BLAZERONE22
01-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Drop me a line if you guys find anything out. I'm in the same boat. I was also thinking about going to a bushing style.

Mobular
01-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Has anyone ever tried making nylon bushings? Might be an alternative to expensive/HTF needle bearings.

plkmonster2
01-20-2004, 01:58 AM
I've heard of some companies that will make custom oil-lite bushings. I've heard that they hold up well, too. I would search for some companies, or ask around.

R6XTERRA
01-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Hey guys,

I think i figured it out. It looks like the outerbushing contains the bearing. I am ordering one from service honda with the many other tiny pieces i need. I will keep ya posted as to if its actually correct.

Thanks,
Jeff

KASEY
01-20-2004, 11:06 AM
IF all you need is the needle bearing then go to a bearing house i got several for a 85 250r and they were $7 apiece,,, all you need is the correct dimensions ,,, if you have one in hand then you have it made,,,

Trikeaholic
01-20-2004, 11:13 AM
kasey is right, a bearing is a standard part. You guys have to stop assuming that only the OEM can get common parts. All machines are put together with outside supplier product. Its not rocket science......I get my bearings from my work, they all have the numbers stamped on them, its pretty simple, really, and cheap, too! bearings at my cost are usually 2-3 bucks each.

BLAZERONE22
01-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Okay finally had a chance to get my pivot bearings out today, the hmk number is 2225 I should be able to walk into "bearings are us" with that number and get the correct bearing? Now what about the collars that slide into the bearing. Is that also going to be a common part? or I I need to have new one machined out? I'm going to replace the pivots in my Westcoast swingarm also, does anyone know if they take the same size as a OEM swingarm pivot bearing?

plkmonster2
01-25-2004, 05:16 PM
Yeah the number holds the key. Some auto stores may also have the bearings. Its like the bolts they use. There availible everywhere.

Albino
01-26-2004, 10:05 AM
You'd think that would be the case.But I spent alot of time going to every bearing dealer in my town,none had the bearing,and none could garranty that it would be the exact size if ordered by measuring the honda one.Not only that but the cost was around the same and I would of had to machine my own collars and bolt.It sucked nobody was very helpful :? At every bearing house they said those numbers on the bearing don't jive with their inventory.I dunno?That # 2225 is not a measurement in mms is it,....what does it mean,if it does "hold the key"

R6XTERRA
01-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Hey guys,

My dad is trying to get me the bearings for my 83 r. That is part of his industry.....So lets keep the fingers crossed. If that doesn't work, he is going to make up some brass bushings for me. He does this kind of stuff everyday. So he said it would be real simple. I guess he was saying that the eurothane bushings would wear out to fast. So if i can't get the bearings...i will get him to make up a bunch of brass bushings for future problems.

Jeff