PDA

View Full Version : * 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike

Joseph Farrow
05-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Hey guys want to share with you some History on this bike. I've had several people ask about it. It all started with me trying to run down 90-110 Old School HiPo parts. Back in the early days my brother and I used Danny Duncan of Danny's Machine Works in Santee California to build our race bikes. Danny was very well known in Southern California as one of the premier hi-performance motorcycle and ATC Speed Shops. He specialized in 4-strokes doing many hi-performance articles for 3-Wheeling Magazine. They built most of the team BAPP Bikes and Davis Mueller was their team rider and was featured in their ad.

Fast forward to today and going back to my search for 90-110 HiPo parts I called up Loren Duncan. Danny's son. He helped Danny for several years and eventually took over operations and now runs one of the largest Hi-Performance ATV shops in the World with numerous Championships to his credit. Duncan Racing International.
In talking to Loren I mention to him that I had some pictures of his old custom Dune Bike they built in 1980. My family took a trip out west in the early 80's and one of the stops on the trip was Danny's Machine Works.

Pic of the Shop:

Me, My Brother, My Father with Loren and Danny:

Now to the Bike. Here is a pic of Loren with the bike in front of the shop along with other pic of it back in the day.

Loren said he still had the bike! To make a long story short (lol) we ended up making a deal and the bike ended up in Tennessee. It had been setting for many years. Loren said he figured the last time it ran was around 1985.

This is how the bike looked with I got it.......

It was in pretty rough shape to say the least. I was undecided on what to do with it. I first wanted to restore it back to like new but got to thinking it is only original once and decided to leave it like it was and clean it up the best I could and preserve what was there.

Here is the bike today:

It has a lot of trick one off aftermarket parts. I will post pic's and descriptions later.

This is a True Representation of what these bikes looked like back in the day in SoCal. The birth place of ATC's!

phantomtracer
05-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Great story and pics.
Thanks.

HairyJR
05-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Great work to bring another trike back as a beautiful survivor. So many innovative companies/business supported these trikes during their prime, some lost with time. Joe nice use of the Chevron's, tried to purchase them from you last......

"HJ" :beer

Jwheeler
05-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Joe you guys did a great job on keeping looking like it did back in the day . :naughty:

MRBIGWHEELZ
05-09-2015, 06:15 PM
great job ...it's perfect the way it is ....it will only be that bike once and with the back story with the pictures. I think its awesome and i'd love to own it... The old race machines are always a good topic thanks for sharing ....did you get the trophy's......tell me you got the trophy's

Kickstand 1
05-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Sexy Sexy Sexy. I tell you that every time I see that Baby, Joseph. I love that piece of history! From who did you ever hear " Its only original once" from :) LOL :)

christph
05-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Funny, I was just pursuing Duncan Racing's website. It's strange seeing the state of the art from yesteryear when you have today as a reference point.

tecaterob
05-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Wow.... Great history and needs to stay just like that...

Daddio
05-09-2015, 11:36 PM
Great story and an awesome machine.

Jmoozy27
05-10-2015, 12:26 AM
You've been bringing us all back to our youth... Keep doing it brother, it's good for the site and the soul. Thanks!!!

oscarmayer
05-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Very nice job sir. Great machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lardog
05-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Joe the bike looks great thank you for posting all the pics.:beer

Joseph Farrow
05-10-2015, 01:11 PM
great job ...it's perfect the way it is ....it will only be that bike once and with the back story with the pictures. I think its awesome and i'd love to own it... The old race machines are always a good topic thanks for sharing ....did you get the trophy's......tell me you got the trophy's

Didn't get the trophy's.......or the story board. That would have been really cool. I just figured it was long gone. I may have to ask Loren if it is laying in a corner some where.

I was really fortunate to get this bike and I really appreciate Loren and his Dad Danny entrusting me with it. It will remain in my collection from now on.
The thing runs great and is a blast to ride. Really forgot how awesome the 180's are. I will post a vid of me getting it running for the first time soon.
Thanks for all the great comments. Just wanted to share this piece of ATC History.

Joseph Farrow
05-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Like I said earlier the bike had been sitting since the mid 80's so I had no idea if it would run or what shape the motor was in. I cleaned the carb, changed the oil and plug. Checked the valves, points and timing, shot a little oil in the cylinder.... got gas to the carb choked it and pulled it three times and it fired up. It was like watching an episode of 'What's In The Barn" lol. I couldn't believe it. It was tight, didn't rattle or smoke. You would have thought it was ran at least twice a week.

Here is a Vid of it running for the first time in 30 years!!!

http://vid271.photobucket.com/albums/jj139/josephfarrow/414_zps65dc88cb.mp4

atc300r
05-12-2015, 08:11 AM
This is a pre 250r racer? Man that's a nice machine. Looks awesome. Id like to see it racing again.

Eric250R
05-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Very, very nice job !! Tell me you're planning on bringing this to Trikefest....

ironchop
05-12-2015, 12:35 PM
^^^what Eric said^^^

As always.....awesome post, awesome bike, awesome history lesson, Joseph.

ironchop
05-12-2015, 12:46 PM
what rear caliper is that?

Looks like a Hurst Airheart gocart unit

Joseph Farrow
05-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Not sure about Trike Fest. Never been.....Would like to attend. How far is it from Bowling Green. I know it is in Indiana??? I am around 3 hrs from Bowling Green.

The rear brake set up is a Bull Schmitt. It does use the Hurst Airheart caliper.

ironchop
05-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Not sure about Trike Fest. Never been.....Would like to attend. How far is it from Bowling Green. I know it is in Indiana??? I am around 3 hrs from Bowling Green

I`m between Bowling Green and the TN/KY state line and it`s four hours to Haspin from my house....making your trip about 7 hrs

Eric250R
05-13-2015, 12:27 AM
I'm on the Virginia border and it's a 6 hour drive for me. I promise you won't be disappointed, you'll probably start kicking yourself for not attending earlier. If you need some inspiration, go check out the Trikefest section.....you'll thank us !!

ironchop
05-13-2015, 11:06 AM
...... I promise you won't be disappointed, you'll probably start kicking yourself for not attending earlier. If you need some inspiration, go check out the Trikefest section.....you'll thank us !!

Truer words have never been spoken.

Tristan (porkchop) and me were building these as a father/son thing with the culmination being to attend TF with what we built. After three years and many setbacks, it was three months from TF14 and I says "Man we need to cobble these things together and just show up to TF at least ONCE in our lives and cross it off the bucket list even if we never do it again.". Like closure for all the blood sweat and tears and money we threw at this hobby. So for the next 6 weeks, we put back half a paycheck each every payday for parts, van rental, gas, food, and supplies. We packed more spare parts than living necessities and enough salad to not give a damn that we were gonna sleep in the grass and just set out at 5am for Laurel. It was the first father/son only thing he and I had done in a very long time and he was just 19 and had never driven his own roadtrip....so I told him not to wreck our precious cargo and to go forth and find Haspin. He did it like a BOSS.

Within the very first day, Tristan says "this is our new thing me and you and I wanna come back every year."......long way from the first trike I taught him to ride when he was 7 and the 200S he got for his 9th birthday that he rode almost every nice day for 6 yrs before we bought three clapped out 200Xs

you wont regret it

Daddio
05-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Not sure about Trike Fest. Never been.....Would like to attend. How far is it from Bowling Green. I know it is in Indiana??? I am around 3 hrs from Bowling Green.

The rear brake set up is a Bull Schmitt. It does use the Hurst Airheart caliper.

I agree wholeheartedly with Eric and Ironchop. If you love trikes half as much as you appear to...........you really need to attend Trikefest. You will not regret it. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Going to TF is like going to a big family reunion with a family where everyone there is related by their love for 3wheelers. Words and pictures and even videos can't accurately describe it. You have to experience it.

Joseph Farrow
05-15-2015, 11:26 PM
Here is what I know about the motor.....

- 24mm Mikuni Carb with BAPP Intake
- Ported Head with HD Springs Lightened Rockers and Over Sized Intake Valve
- KH #96 Roller Cam
- Quick Change Sprocket Assembly
- Wired for Big Light

- Oil By Pass System
- Manual Clutch
- Vented Dip Stick, Vented Crank Case, Vented Valve Cover
- Custom Strait Pipe
- Over Sized Sleeve in Stock Cylinder

All of the cases were polished originally. One of these days I'll polish them back out.

Joseph Farrow
12-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Hey guys wanted to finish up the details on this bike. Should have done it already.
The following info is about the external aspect of the bike. It has a lot of aftermarket and custom work.

It is setting on a "Sprint" 3D Dickson Design & Development frame. It is longer and lower with more support gussets for strength.

Custom built front tripple with SL100 front fork tubes, polished front wheel hub and a Cibie Oscar light up front to light the way.

Bars are made of solid aluminum and are polished. The controles are all "CR" type with a Magura twist trottle and BAPP Groovy grips.

The tank and fenders are by "Brink" who painted numerous SOCAL custome bikes back in the day.

The seat cover is made of old school Mohair "Crushed Velvet Red"

Mr. Clean
12-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Looks great Joseph Farrow!! I would love to go play in the dunes or shred an Mx track on that beauty!!

Joseph Farrow
12-24-2015, 05:45 PM
It has a super cool fuel shut off that allowed you top use your "reserve" and "on" feature from your fuel tank.

Cleated foot pegs.
Cancilla Chain Tensioner and HD rear axle.

Trick "Bull Schmitt" Rear disc brake set up.

Rims are all two piece wheels with something I have never seen......reinforcement plates like the stock set up.

And what Custom dune trike would be complete with out a Chrome six pack rack out the back. This one even sports a matching strap to hold the cooler in place.

I would again like to Thank the Duncans for allowing me to have this bike. It is a special piece of Early ATC History.

Ol Deuce
12-24-2015, 09:05 PM
I think you did it perfect ! the repaint ETC. just isn't the way to go! Thanks Joe for the posting this its way cool ....Ol Deuce

phantomtracer
12-24-2015, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the update, that is one great time machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmoozy27
12-24-2015, 09:43 PM
That baby is sweet Joe. One of a kind with a great story.

onformula1
12-24-2015, 10:31 PM
That thing is so cool, I love the mechanical rear disc brake.

Great job!

Joseph Farrow
12-25-2015, 06:12 PM
Looks great Joseph Farrow!! I would love to go play in the dunes or shred an Mx track on that beauty!!

Thanks Mike. One of these days my brother and I are coming out west to the sand box and I am bringing this bike!
You will have to ride it for sure. :beer