PDA

View Full Version : 1982 185s Air Filter Replacement With UNI, Figured It Out!!

Gearheadtom
05-08-2015, 06:49 PM
So I bought a UNI, "stock style" replacement filter for my '82 185s. So what has me wondering is that there's a paper element within the stock filter housing that appears not replaceable?
The Uni filter has two layers, and the smaller yellow one seems almost the exact same size as the paper element. The outer red layer fits perfectly over the filter housing.
Thought about carefully cutting the outer screen out and pull out the paper element, then somehow manage to stick it back together with the yellow layer on the inside, and the red layer on the outside.
Anyone have any input? Maybe I'm missing something? Included some pics as well

Gearheadtom
05-10-2015, 03:56 PM
So I figured this thing out. Some heat from the heat gun to soften the glue, then the end cap can be removed, followed by the outer screen, then the paper.
Cleaned things up good and reassembled. I just used a little silicone to hold the end cap back on, and wired it in place while the silicone dried.
Here's the pics:

rdlsz24
05-12-2015, 12:30 PM
I think both parts of the Uni filter go on the outside of the element. The yellow one stretches over the element, and the red goes over the yellow. You have to be able to get at them to clean it.

Rob

Gearheadtom
05-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Didn't seem right to me that way. The yellow seemed way to tight to get on, plus I still had to get that paper element out.

Gearheadtom
05-12-2015, 01:07 PM
According to my Clymer manual the paper is factory on this machine. Says in the book to remove the foam and inspect, then inspect the paper element.
This has the older style airbox, where the whole inner element slides out the front, kinda like the older 110's and atc90's.