PDA

View Full Version : 200x dies when in creek . seem like a temp change does it. thoughts?

effort=results
04-28-2015, 10:32 PM
So a few weeks back at a local atv park with a creek that was probably like 38 degrees my 85 200x would die if i got barely half the bottom end in the water. Now first i thought water+electrics was the problem somewhere but she would fire back up after some choking and gassing. But if i got off the thing and tipped the thing side ways so one side of motor was in water and gas it she would stay alive. So today i got out the power washer ,removed the sprocket cover, started it up and laid water hard on all connectors . And there she sits idling perfect. So now im think this dg piped ,kn filtered stock everything else 200x is tempermental to the shock of change in temp. 42 idle jet and i think 110 main. Any help or ideas let me know. Thanks guys

El Camexican
04-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Do the vent hoses on your carb hang low enough to be in the water at that level? Never had the issue, but it's all I can think of aside from electronics. The temp would have no effect till the head was under water.

atc007
04-29-2015, 06:04 AM
I assume you were dipping the mag side in the water? I have never seen it on a 3 wheeler. But on sleds. As the stator coils are dying. Lose spark, drag them inside,get spark,and vice versa. Extremely rare,mostly Yamahas. I would clearly think this is connector related,but given my experience,it would not surprise me to be the stator. But,,, the hot oil would keep heat in them for a short period of time. Good one!!?? Let us know what you find. OMH that stator out please.

RubberSalt
04-29-2015, 06:17 AM
I'd double check the electronics/connections/ corrosion. When you having it running, wiggle your wires. Check your stator resistance, Everything sounds electrical.. Except the carb vent hose theory.

3wheelrider
04-29-2015, 07:00 AM
Reroute the carb vents up the frame & give it another go. I routed mine long ago right into the headlight assembly.
It worked for me before....try it & let us know...

oscarmayer
04-29-2015, 09:27 AM
these trikes not "water resistant", none of these trikes are actually you submerge any of then and it will let water into the case, as mentioned vent hoses for carb or worse crank case vent hose, water in the ignition system.

stop trying to turn it into a submarine. it's a trike for land not in the water. there are many issues with what you were doing that could have caused this.

effort=results
04-29-2015, 08:24 PM
https://youtu.be/8j5zgFykYS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j5zgFykYS8

JUMP TO 5:12 AND YOU WILL SEE SOME OF WHAT I MEAN.

ill check my vent hoses an see where they lay. and i was thinking electrical but my power washer should of killed it . and its not like i dunk it and i never take my x for creek romps but at this atv park you have to cross the creek to get where your going . ill pull a manual and see what the stator is resting at. would the temp change affect stator?thanks for the tips guys . ill keep you informed.

El Camexican
04-29-2015, 09:18 PM
these trikes not "water resistant", none of these trikes are actually you submerge any of then and it will let water into the case, as mentioned vent hoses for carb or worse crank case vent hose, water in the ignition system.

stop trying to turn it into a submarine. it's a trike for land not in the water. there are many issues with what you were doing that could have caused this.

I have to say that my YTM was nothing short of water proof. As long as the water didn't get over the lower triple clamp where the air intake is located you could swamp it all day long. Not so now, I have some sort of electrical issue that makes it sputter after a bath. I should go though it again.

Anyway, while splashing around the local creek and ditches back in the day there was always a 185s or a Big Red next to me and I don't recall anyone ever needing a tow home.

effort=results
04-29-2015, 09:25 PM
ok i just got to run out to the garage between baby duties and yes the vent house head down out between the swing arm. ill relocate them north. ill bring my multimeter home from work and see what the coil is up to. again really appreciate the help guys.

effort=results
04-29-2015, 09:42 PM

i really try to keep my beloved x out of the creeks,but sometimes u gota cross em to get to the other side. and ive got my 250es if i wana submarine, but really every time this 200x has to cross water she dies . even last year at a place called brushy ridge in illinois you have to cross a creek to go thru the park and one lil hole that didnt pass the middle of the bottom end killed it. i mean all my hondas can handle some water but this one is ruining riding experienceS which makes me not want to bring her out to play.

EDIT .... I FOUND WHERE IT ALSO DID IT TO ME AT BRUSHY RIDGE !CHECKOUT MINUTE 3:57 ON THE VIDEO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4aCb7oyYMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4aCb7oyYMA

atc007
04-29-2015, 09:47 PM
These are basically submarines actually lol. If you have problems crossing streams, there IS a problem. You'll get it figured out..

oscarmayer
04-29-2015, 11:13 PM
it ain't yellow :P

RubberSalt
04-30-2015, 01:44 AM
My KLT.. when wet the plug would short out to my knee cap at times.. that sucked. Do you have any grease or anything like that on the plug to keep it water tight?

Something is in the water that shouldn't be. Check for a crack in a stator wire? possibly the insulator cracked and is intermittently grounding out.

oscarmayer
04-30-2015, 06:31 PM
I swear you better paint that dam thing yellow!!!! :P

dgm635csi
04-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Air cooled engines can react in weird ways when the hot cylinder head gets quenched with water. It can have such a dramatic cooling effect that it can change the temperature inside the combustion chamber, and make your engine act as if its just been started cold. This effect is usually only temporary. I have had this happen with my 1986 xr600r in water crossings. As soon as the cold water gets splashed onto the cooling fins, the engine idle drops, and throttle response suffers a bit until the head temp. recovers a little. My XR does not have any electrical problems, and will not ingest water unless it is above seat height. This might be parts of whats going on, but your engine definitely sounded like it lost spark during the video.

3wheelrider
05-01-2015, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=effort=results;1366575]So a few weeks back at a local atv park with a creek that was probably like 38 degrees my 85 200x would die if i got barely half the bottom end in the water. Now first i thought water+electrics was the problem somewhere but she would fire back up after some choking and gassing. But if i got off the thing and tipped the thing side ways so one side of motor was in water and gas it she would stay alive. So today i got out the power washer ,removed the sprocket cover, started it up and laid water hard on all connectors . And there she sits idling perfect. So now im think this dg piped ,kn filtered stock everything else 200x is tempermental to the shock of change in temp. 42 idle jet and i think 1
Along with rerouting the vents suggestion I would also check the sparkplug cap as mentioned. If it is loose fitting/wobbly or the in correct type. Water will splash under the cap and thus stall out. I like to fill the CDI plug with grease to seal most water from shorting it out here.(object as you wish ). One more thing to check is the stator wire (blk/red at the plug. The rubber insulator deteriorates after SO long & lets spark thru & it grounds out- since it is normally running along/touching the frame. I always put heatshrink around that plug/conn......
Im not goin with the temperature theory.

effort=results
05-01-2015, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=effort=results;1366575]So a few weeks back at a local atv park with a creek that was probably like 38 degrees my 85 200x would die if i got barely half the bottom end in the water. Now first i thought water+electrics was the problem somewhere but she would fire back up after some choking and gassing. But if i got off the thing and tipped the thing side ways so one side of motor was in water and gas it she would stay alive. So today i got out the power washer ,removed the sprocket cover, started it up and laid water hard on all connectors . And there she sits idling perfect. So now im think this dg piped ,kn filtered stock everything else 200x is tempermental to the shock of change in temp. 42 idle jet and i think 1
Along with rerouting the vents suggestion I would also check the sparkplug cap as mentioned. If it is loose fitting/wobbly or the in correct type. Water will splash under the cap and thus stall out. I like to fill the CDI plug with grease to seal most water from shorting it out here.(object as you wish ). One more thing to check is the stator wire (blk/red at the plug. The rubber insulator deteriorates after SO long & lets spark thru & it grounds out- since it is normally running along/touching the frame. I always put heatshrink around that plug/conn......
Im not goin with the temperature theory.

im takin her out this weekendand hoping to do some testing. i also took the sprocket gaurd off and black taped the wires from stator up . the looked good tho. ill report back with results!

Thorpe
05-03-2015, 06:48 PM
The 70 I had was doing this exact same thing... Stator cover gasket ended up being my culprit.it was leaking at the bottom, and when the motor was partially submerged it would short out and die... Get it drug out of the puddle and play with the choke and pull it over a bit, it would fire back up. Had wet boots many times before I figured out the cause on mine. But also, the power washer wouldn't recreate the issue....

atc300r
05-04-2015, 07:34 AM
The 200x has a wet stator. it runs in oil. On my 84 200x I bought brand new in 84 hated water . My current 84 200x does well. I shrink wrapped the wires where they come out of the case.