PDA

View Full Version : Went snow slinging today!!!

bbechtel16
01-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Hey guys, long time no see. I hadn't ridden or visited the forums much for the past 2 month because I got in a little spat with my trike over the stupidest thing. I had just installed the 350X carb that had originally been on it and it was running so much better than when I had the stock carb that was missing a few peices. However I was still having problem where when I would gun it from a low rpm, esp when out of gear, it would bog down and stall if I didn't back off. I would have to get slowly into it then I could hammer it once it was spinning 2 or 3 times idle speed. Well I figured the first thing I could try was turning the idle mix screw. I got really annoyed trying to turn this screw with the engine running to see the effects. Well the adjustments didnt seem to be making any difference, and I was getting pretty pissed off by now. Then I stalled it, and it didn't want to start again, and I had it! I stormed inside and hadn't touched it in 2 months. Seems kinda stupid after all I'd been through with it (exploded output shaft assembly, cam chain tensioner bolt snapped off in crankcase, etc.)

Anyway, after some tinkering with it today, (How do you bypass that stupid neutral safety?) I got riding again, in the snow. Now I remember why I bought this thing, soooo much fun.

Any ideas on my carb? I'm thinking maybe the needle jet needs leaned. Also it's very had to keep from stalling when I try to rev it up a little to warm it up, esp in the winter. Does this also seem to point at the needle jet? And how do you adjust the needle jet on the X carb? It seems like it's gonna be a big pain. Def. not as easy as adjusting it on the 250R carb.

bbechtel16
01-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Any ideas on the carb?

Wickedfinger
01-20-2004, 05:57 PM
It sounds to me like you might be "overcarburated" and are just dumping fuel into the cylinder at low RPM's because its not flowing properly (even though you have that 260kit). Remember that the stock 250SX's carb is a 27mm while the 350X has a 34mm and that more importantly, you have one less intake valve than the 350X. I think you are giving the engine more fuel than it can use at low RPM. Once you get the RPMs up and more specifically, the cam spinning through its durations more quickly - only then is the engine able to use the extra charge provided by the larger carb efficiently. A hotter duration cam or enlargening the intake valve/port would solve this, but I don't know if anyone makes a hot cam for the 250SX/ES series motor or if the larger valve from a TRX300 Foreman would work. Again, this is just my theory ..... I could be completely wrong .... but I've seen this same type of problem happen to quite a few cars in that Joe Schmo desides its a great idea to bolt a Holley 850 Double Pumper onto a 302 or 340 when the engine and its cam could only ever hope to efficiently use a 650 DP and ends up with a boggy machine that wont launch.

1985 200s
01-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Patience is a man's best virtue!! ;)