PDA

View Full Version : possible to installa sight glass?

oscarmayer
04-22-2015, 09:20 AM
I know this is a dumb question, but is it possible to install a slight glass on a 350x or a 200x clutch cover? I al asking because it sure makes it way easier to determine oil levels by a glance and confirm everything is hunkey dorey when racing.

I know I would have to drill a hole and then maybe even weld on a small alloy washer to help hold the glass but what else would I need and how do I determine the actual level it needs to be at? I am concerned that when racing Baja and I get a oil leak that it gets missed and we loose a motor over lack of proper oil. if I had a sight glass I would see the level is low or even not there and know we need more oil.

Sorry for the dumb ideas, Just thinking outside the box.

atc300r
04-22-2015, 09:28 AM
What about installing a low oil light of some sort a lot of newer bikes and quads have them. Some of the Honda motors like lawnmower style have a kill switch that will shutdown the motor if the oil gets low.

oscarmayer
04-22-2015, 10:46 AM
not sure how I would install one of those in a trike. i was thinking maybe a oil pressure Gage of some sorts that sits between the oil cooler and head before oil goes into the engine?

just thought a sight glass would do things like let me know when it is full for sure so i do not over fill as well as when it is low.If not, then I will just have to be extra careful.

atc300r
04-22-2015, 01:03 PM
I think a sight glass will work I have a 230 Quadsport and it has a sight glass on it for checking oil. Maybe you could see if they are still available threw Suzuki .I know a few Suzuki streetbikes use sight glass aswell. Quadsport side cover .214912

atc300r
04-22-2015, 01:08 PM
I just checked bikebandit and they show it as available. like $15 bucks. I checked 1990 250 quadsport . same as 230. I will check to see if I have a spare sidecover with a sight glass in it an get you some pics of how its installed .

oscarmayer
04-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks a ton sir!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atc300r
04-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Quadsport sight glass pics.Inside 214950 outside 214951

oscarmayer
04-23-2015, 01:02 PM
I am just wondering if it is worth the trouble. I see all the case buildup designed to run this. the 350x does not have that so not sure it would be a good idea or not. :/

madmass
04-23-2015, 01:13 PM
Here's a goofy idea.... What about a see through cover? Would take a little work but I've seen some clear cases out there.

86125m
04-23-2015, 02:50 PM
Is it that hard to pull out the dip stick because that what its there for:lol:

Mr. Clean
04-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Is it that hard to pull out the dip stick because that what its there for:lol:

It is when your doing 1000 miles on a trike down the Mexican baja peninsula.

83ATC185
04-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Here's a goofy idea.... What about a see through cover? Would take a little work but I've seen some clear cases out there.

Ive never seen that, that would be wild.

Finding where the glass should go would be easy enough. you could make sure you had the clearance inside the case with some clay or play doh or something like that, and get some round aluminum stock, turn it down and drill it to fit the glass, but cut a slot where the bottom would be so oil wont puddle in it and mig it to the inside of the case then drill the case out... Depending on the thickness of the glass and the clearance the slot may not be necessary.Then you have the issue of weakening the case because it was heated and welded on i don't know how that would work out, and id be too worried about it getting hit there and busting my case because there's no real reinforcement there.

That's what i would try, if i were to do it, for whatever its worth...

oscarmayer
04-24-2015, 08:41 AM
Yea. Sounds like a bigger pain. I will have to decide at s later time. Biggest thing is getting a roller right now n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YTZ drew
04-24-2015, 09:26 AM
A good place for it might be where the craptastic stock kicker shaft comes out (after you eliminate it by swapping to a 200S left crank half and a recoil of course:naughty:).

atc300r
04-24-2015, 10:29 AM
Ive never seen that, that would be wild.

Finding where the glass should go would be easy enough. you could make sure you had the clearance inside the case with some clay or play doh or something like that, and get some round aluminum stock, turn it down and drill it to fit the glass, but cut a slot where the bottom would be so oil wont puddle in it and mig it to the inside of the case then drill the case out... Depending on the thickness of the glass and the clearance the slot may not be necessary.Then you have the issue of weakening the case because it was heated and welded on i don't know how that would work out, and id be too worried about it getting hit there and busting my case because there's no real reinforcement there.

That's what i would try, if i were to do it, for whatever its worth... This is a popular mod for drag trikes and quads with lockout clutches. Its not glass more like thick plexiglass.215050 215051

oscarmayer
04-25-2015, 07:46 PM
cannot do that on a Honda cover. Yamaha us a push rod method for releasing the clutch, Honda uses a swing arm direct method and the case has to have the strength to sustain that in the center. if it was a yami that would be an awesome mod. sorry man great idea just not feesable on a Honda cover.

I have not given up, just putting this to the side for the time being. We got time!