PDA

View Full Version : dumb question: how to adjust chain tension on 84 200s?

d.walker43
04-15-2015, 07:59 PM
alright. this is a really dumb question, but im struggling with this. how do you adjust chain tension on an 84 200s? I would just cut a link out, but if I do that then it will be too short. Im moving the chain adjuster nut next to the casing (pictured below), but it doesn't appear to do anything. even if I max out that nut either way it does nothing. Im sure im just missing something. Any ideas? Thanks.

*ATC*
04-15-2015, 10:47 PM
You have to loosen the four large bolts holding the bearing housing, then adjust the tensioners. unless your chain is so streached out it needs to be replaced

oscarmayer
04-15-2015, 10:54 PM
sounds like your chain is stretched and it will no longer adjustable. you can do 1 of 2 things.
1- replace the chain and sprockets.
2- take a round file that fits into the slot, put it in a drill and use it to slot the hole longer towards the front, then you can take 1 link out.

have you put the internal nuts all the way to the bottom of the adjuster and pulled the axle back? The back nuts pull the axle back, the side nuts pull it towards the front. if the back nuts are not all the way bottomed out you may not be getting all you can.
did you loosen the locking bolts that actually hold the axle on? both need to be loosened quite a bit. as dirt and rust can cause it to bind when trying to adjust it.

d.walker43
04-16-2015, 06:07 PM
sounds like your chain is stretched and it will no longer adjustable. you can do 1 of 2 things.
1- replace the chain and sprockets.
2- take a round file that fits into the slot, put it in a drill and use it to slot the hole longer towards the front, then you can take 1 link out.

have you put the internal nuts all the way to the bottom of the adjuster and pulled the axle back? The back nuts pull the axle back, the side nuts pull it towards the front. if the back nuts are not all the way bottomed out you may not be getting all you can.
did you loosen the locking bolts that actually hold the axle on? both need to be loosened quite a bit. as dirt and rust can cause it to bind when trying to adjust it.

I am a bit confused. can I see a diagram or something? Im not seeing the bolts your talking about. Im probably just not seeing them but I don't quite get it. I havnt had to do chain work on this type of trike before so im kinda inexperienced with it, some pics or a diagram or something would be very helpful and appreciated, thanks.

3wheelrider
04-16-2015, 07:31 PM
alright. this is a really dumb question, but im struggling with this. how do you adjust chain tension on an 84 200s? I would just cut a link out, but if I do that then it will be too short. Im moving the chain adjuster nut next to the casing (pictured below), but it doesn't appear to do anything. even if I max out that nut either way it does nothing. Im sure im just missing something. Any ideas? Thanks.

as stated: there are 4 - 17mm bolts to loosen 1st.
If youre facing the rear of the trike-.2 on the left 2 on the right .They are around the rear carrier(tube) facing the center of the frame. If you did this & your adjuster is still maxed out then you.can cut 2 links off the chain & you should be good again.

*ATC*
04-16-2015, 09:39 PM
214611d. this is on a 110, but same general set up.

oscarmayer
04-16-2015, 10:32 PM
^ nice! :)

d.walker43
04-16-2015, 11:13 PM
214611d. this is on a 110, but same general set up.

Alright, thanks that helps. So to verify, I don't have to take the housing bolts completely out just loosen them, then tighten/loosen the adjuster until its tight, then tighten everything back up? Does that sound correct? I know I sound like a yuppy but I don't wanna mess this up. Thanks.

oscarmayer
04-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Yes. Exactly correct. Go get it you want about 1/4" slack in the top section of the chain when done. Since these do. It have movable rears. It will work fine and remain static.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk