PDA

View Full Version : What rear SHOCK, or sock,lol manufacturer would you choose??

Dirtcrasher
04-12-2015, 12:11 PM
If money was only 20% of the decision and lets call this a 86 ATC250R shock, who would YOU go to for a professionally built custom shock and what options would you like it to have??

:D

86T3
04-12-2015, 12:17 PM
Jason Hall uses axis, so I'm using axis

poolieZerUK
04-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Ohlins is the first and last name in shockers

Scootertrash
04-12-2015, 03:27 PM
I prefer Hanes........

DC: You did see your thread title right? ;)

oscarmayer
04-12-2015, 04:30 PM
talk to onformula1. He is an amazing suspension expert and can offer you good info.
for MX racing I typically use Fox or Elkia. for CX, so far Elkia seems to be the best with Fox nipping on their heals. The air stuff I cannot stand (on air -no mater how any experts or how much tweaking we do we just cannot get them to run like they are claimed), but their normal spring series is really nice.
What kind of machine are you talking about for this and what type of riding is really going to determine the answer to that question.

Billy Golightly
04-12-2015, 05:03 PM
If money is no object, a PEP or a Fox Float.

Otherwise, PEP guts kit in an OEM shock with a custom spring and some dial in time works good enough for me so far.

tecaterob
04-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Wonder who makes a shock for us Tecate guys besides Works..

onformula1
04-13-2015, 03:42 AM
A 250r, Tecate and Tri z stock shocks can be modernised to 2015 type specs and be better than some aftermarket shocks for about $350-$400 bucks as long as the shock shaft, shock body and reservoir hose are good.

New- seal head, o-rings, works type shock piston, shock band, worx shock bumper, fluid, shims, revalving, new shock spring & nitrogen included.

If I went aftermarket IMHO Ohlins 1st, White Power/WP 2nd "used shocks", rebuilt-revalved, works type piston installed modern mods. I have not seen any new shocks from these companies.

Note- There are many great aftermarket companies out there, all will be better than stock, some will still need to be "personalized for the rider/trike" For maximum performance.

Some cost too much $$$$ for me.

MX bikes are 30 years (At least) ahead of ATC's check out what the top pros run in MX, stock Kayaba, Showa, WP revalved-modified or Kayaba, Showa, WP works kits. I am working to update all ATC shocks and forks to 2015 standards. Long live Trikes!

For full blown custom I would pick-

http://reigersuspension.com/English/quad/

manbearpig
04-13-2015, 10:08 AM
PEP for full blown custom shock. call up PEP and tell them you want the same shock thats on Ron Baker's 250R

Dirtcrasher
04-13-2015, 08:37 PM
I had allot of guys tell me AXIS off the boards....

Dual spring, high and low speed compression and rebound damping. Seems like a great shock but I wondered what you all would say.

Thank you,
Steve
DC

tecaterob
04-14-2015, 07:08 PM
I emailed Axis about the Tecate shock. I will be sending them my shock on Friday and they will give me a price. I'll keep you posted.

Mr. Clean
04-14-2015, 07:14 PM
Lately I have been wearing PUMA SOCKS, they last much longer than the cheapies Mrs. Clean were buying. I HATE QUITTER SOCKS.

For a SHOCK, the last one I had rebuilt was by Rob Selvy and I am very happy with it.

El Camexican
04-15-2015, 12:16 AM
If I went aftermarket IMHO Ohlins 1st, White Power/WP 2nd "used shocks", rebuilt-revalved, works type piston installed modern mods. I have not seen any new shocks from these companies.

Note- There are many great aftermarket companies out there, all will be better than stock, some will still need to be "personalized for the rider/trike" For maximum performance.

Some cost too much $$$$ for me.

Have you ever worked on one of these? http://www.elkasuspension.com/ A friend of mine that can't stop modifying things as well as one of the more respected suspension guys in Western Canada swear by them. The suspension guy says they are made better than Ohlin's and are easier to work on. Too pricy for me, but wondering if you've had one open and what you thought of it. Did you ever find a decent Tri-Z donor shock?

onformula1
04-15-2015, 01:26 AM
Have you ever worked on one of these? http://www.elkasuspension.com/ A friend of mine that can't stop modifying things as well as one of the more respected suspension guys in Western Canada swear by them. The suspension guy says they are made better than Ohlin's and are easier to work on. Too pricy for me, but wondering if you've had one open and what you thought of it. Did you ever find a decent Tri-Z donor shock?

Yes, but I have worked on everything at one time or another, if I haven't had something pass through my hands I buy one to check it out, used, rebuild and revalve it then sell it. The Canadian thing makes sense, Elka is from Canada. Better than Ohlins? Not IMHO- Ohlins is hard to beat, but needs 4 mods to be the best. Most aftermarket shocks are very nice, well made and pretty. Many have internal designs better suited for car/truck racing which is where the real money is at. Trikes are closer to motocross bikes or should be. Many aftermarket shocks use parts in inches instead of metric which makes it tough to "Steal" the best parts from around the world. IMHO like trikes/bikes there is not one company that is the best at everything.

I don't have a good Tri-Z shock yet, but have a parts shock coming that can be modernized to 2015 type specs. but will need a rechrome on the shaft to be used. $$$

Note- I enjoy stuff that's hard to work on! :lol: It keeps me from getting bored. :lol:

oscarmayer
04-15-2015, 09:20 AM
socks? that's a tuffy, I use different brands for different stuff. There is dress socks, Sport socks, Hiking socks, MX socks, warm socks and normal use socks.

i use all different brands. what i do most is when they get a hole, they get sewn and off to the donation pile.
;)

fork socks? I like GYTR for Yami stuff and ebay i typically use for the others.

MRSOUND
04-15-2015, 11:10 AM
socks? that's a tuffy, I use different brands for different stuff. There is dress socks, Sport socks, Hiking socks, MX socks, warm socks and normal use socks.

^^Your sounding like a Cat in the Hat book!^^:lol: Good thread DC! I like the info being brought out. Benchmarking for future reference!:cool:

Dirtcrasher
04-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Well, I had already ordered it. We were going from ATC350X top link to a shock set at 33 degrees to a 2008 GT Thunder lower linkage with an adjustable height.

I paid extra for the "soft ride system" I believe it allows you to set up the shock softer and when it began to really compress, it will use a 3rd damping circuit to immediately stiffin things up. It was a couple hundred more $$ of an upgrade nut "plush" sounds good to my bum....

Most of you have bought entire 3wheelers for the cost of this shock put power is useless if you can't plant it right where you need it :D

It will be a couple of weeks. Then I'll take a couple Go Pro videos of it in action. Today I made a 40' long tabletop in preparation for all this :D

onformula1
04-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Here's my personal benchmark for shocks-

onformula1
04-15-2015, 10:46 PM
Well, I had already ordered it. We were going from ATC350X top link to a shock set at 33 degrees to a 2008 GT Thunder lower linkage with an adjustable height.

I paid extra for the "soft ride system" I believe it allows you to set up the shock softer and when it began to really compress, it will use a 3rd damping circuit to immediately stiffin things up. It was a couple hundred more $$ of an upgrade nut "plush" sounds good to my bum....

Most of you have bought entire 3wheelers for the cost of this shock put power is useless if you can't plant it right where you need it :D

It will be a couple of weeks. Then I'll take a couple Go Pro videos of it in action. Today I made a 40' long tabletop in preparation for all this :D

What swingarm are you running?

Dirtcrasher
04-16-2015, 04:53 PM
what swingarm are you running?

08 trx450r

yaegerb
04-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Here's my personal benchmark for shocks-

What is that?

onformula1
04-16-2015, 09:36 PM
KAYABA OR KYB same company. Titanium spring is cool, Kasima, DLC coated looks trick too

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

yaegerb
04-16-2015, 09:49 PM
KAYABA OR KYB same company. Titanium spring is cool, Kasima, DLC coated looks trick too

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

So it's pieced together or is that a model that can be purchased?

oscarmayer
04-16-2015, 10:30 PM
^ sounds like onformula1 has someone wanting to buy one from him. :)

onformula1
04-17-2015, 12:13 AM
So it's pieced together or is that a model that can be purchased?

It is a built shock/modified stock motocross shock.

I did not build that one, my old buddy Ross that taught me a ton about suspension & life built it, very trick!

I am working on building the same thing for ATC's, using the same type of parts. Using a ATC shock body, Reservoir & shaft- starting at a Honda 200X, 350X, 250R, Tri-Z, Tecate

I am trying to work with a few plating companies right now, most don't want to deal with a few ATC parts, they are to busy with large batches- Automotive/Aerospace.

I concept is 2015 technology on a ATC that's 30 years old and started with 10 year old technology when they were brand new! = 40 years.

onformula1
04-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Here is a shock that I built without the plating/anodizing a while back that is very, very trick inside.

I raced/rode and taught MX schools with this shock on 3 different bikes over 5 years.

I sold it on EBAY for $1000.00214613

Working on building a very trick ATC shock with spring for under $400.00

oscarmayer
04-17-2015, 08:59 AM
You da man!!!
What a 200x rear and forks? I believe I have a spare set. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Golightly
04-17-2015, 10:32 AM
DirtCrasher, do yourself (and anyone else interested in suspension) a big favor and buy this book;

http://www.amazon.com/Techs-Motorcycle-Suspension-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760331405

I've read this thing like 5 times and still learn soooooo much. There are a lot of other things to consider with suspension than just a shock, and a lot of it has to do with the drag in the linkages and swingarm pivots also. You'll also learn how to recognize a cheap junky spring from a high quality good one also just by looking at them. Well worth the $$

Fox250R
04-18-2015, 11:52 PM
I'd tell you how i liked my Works shock but it seems you guys don't like Works much and I haven't had a chance to ride the damn thing yet since I installed it hahah :)

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/Fox250R/IMG_0770_1.jpg (http://s155.photobucket.com/user/Fox250R/media/IMG_0770_1.jpg.html)

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/Fox250R/DSCN0151-1.jpg (http://s155.photobucket.com/user/Fox250R/media/DSCN0151-1.jpg.html)

Fox250R
04-22-2015, 04:43 AM
DirtCrasher, do yourself (and anyone else interested in suspension) a big favor and buy this book;

http://www.amazon.com/Techs-Motorcycle-Suspension-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760331405

I've read this thing like 5 times and still learn soooooo much. There are a lot of other things to consider with suspension than just a shock, and a lot of it has to do with the drag in the linkages and swingarm pivots also. You'll also learn how to recognize a cheap junky spring from a high quality good one also just by looking at them. Well worth the $$

Good info!