PDA

View Full Version : 85 200x build what to do?

TeXaS SoB
04-09-2015, 08:41 PM
I posted a while back about rebuilding my top end and where to get parts. Well my buddy finally got it tore down and the whole engine is trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. Needs a complete rebuild from the crank to the piston. So at this point what do I do. Buy a used engine? Find a good bottom end and build the top. Make a autox or just sell it or part it out? Was hoping to only have to do the top end but now it just got expensive. It's in pretty decent shape. Another issue is the top end has already been bored as far as you can take it. Thanks for any Info or advice.

oscarmayer
04-09-2015, 09:33 PM
well the real question at this point is, how much do you want to spend on it?
cheapest if probably buy a used engine in good shape.
next you can get a crank/rod setup form someone like hotrods or powrol and work on splitting the cases and going from there, but if your going to do that, you may as well replace every bearing in the bottom end I the trans section. by the time your done your talking about $650-$850 in parts for a stocker rebuild of this caliber and that's you guys doing your own dissemble and re-assembly and the machine shop boring/honing cylinder, new valves and a valve job. that does not include ANY performance parts.

a good bottom end will run around $200-$300 with everything but the top section.
a good top with head will be around $300 and then you still need to do the piston and cylinder and I would still at least look at the valves and maybe replace and lap in new ones at a minimum if there is any wear on them. so we are back to the $800 price range.
a good used motor will run around $400-$500 depending on the shape and if it had rebuild done recently or not. that would be the cheapest.

TeXaS SoB
04-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Well I had originally planned on getting a top end kit from Mickey Dunlap and going high compression with his cam and some porting. But that was in the thought that the bottom end was ok. So now I dunno. What all does a stroker kit include? I don't mind spending some money on it. Ive had it for awhile.

oscarmayer
04-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Talk to Mickey, you may be better off just send him your motor, let him work is magic fingers ( ;-) ) and poof stroked 200x that rips!

Jmoozy27
04-09-2015, 10:29 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Chinese conversions, but a new lifan or zongshen motor runs about 500. I hear good things about the design and they basically bolt right in.

yaegerb
04-09-2015, 11:51 PM
Stroked crank with main bearing rebuild is approx 4-500 depending on who you go with. Personally I would spend the money on the bottom end, taking it back to OEM specs and do an OEM rebuild on the top end. That will run approx 6-800.

TeXaS SoB
04-09-2015, 11:51 PM
Yeah both of those might be options. I'd rather stay honda though.

TeXaS SoB
04-09-2015, 11:54 PM
I want more power than stock for sure though. It won't be rode a lot but I want reliable for sure.

oscarmayer
04-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Talk to Mickey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mickey Dunlap
04-10-2015, 09:10 AM
All but one I have built lately needed the crank built, but the hard part was finding third gear. Look over all you gears for flaking and the shift plat and star gear changer. Always replace all the seals and cam chain. I have ported and big valves all the motors and working on a carb kit I should have here any day. The DG pipe came in yesterday and looks good. It would be nice to take two inches out of it off each side of the U-bend to make it the same as my Powroll pipe but most won't really need to do that. Other then that slap in my piston, cam, valve springs and HD clutch springs and you are good to go for years.

ps2fixer
04-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Around my area you can pick up a running rider that isn't pretty for around $500, might be the better option to target rebuilding another engine assuming the machine you pickup has a solid bottom end. The extra parts could be sold or kept for use and should help lower the rebuilt cost a bit.