PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250r tips

wpginterceptor
04-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Hey just picked up a 250r.. haven't had one since I was 16 (third gen).. many any many years ago!

What should I be running in the rad? 50/50?

any other tips on this bike to keep things running smoothly?

Bike has been sittin for a while.. should I change oil in it?

Racer-X
04-08-2015, 09:41 PM
I would say it depends where you live. Miami beach I would run just water and a water wetter maybe like purple ice or redline. In a colder climate I would run antifreeze for sure.
But..... I recently found out about a "waterless'' coolant by a company called Evans. I ordered some and I can't wait to see how well it works. Jay Leno is slowly converting all his cars to it so you know its legit. It doesn't have any water so it won't rust or corrode anything, never needs changed, and because it doesn't boil until like 300 degrees or something like that (which your bike will never run that hot) so there's no pressure in the cooling system. Apparently you can get your engine hot and still just take the radiator cap off without an explosion of pressure and steam in your face as if the coolant was still cold. They have a smaller bottle specifically for atv's for $30. Being your R doesn't have much coolant capacity one bottle should do it. Just get an air hose and flush out your coolant really really good. You don't want any more than 3% water in the system or it doesn't work as well. It will take a lot of pressure of your system without the steam. No water = no steam, no corrosion, no pressure.

wpginterceptor
04-08-2015, 10:38 PM
yeah im in Canada.. where is cold 6 months of the year.. but in the summer it can get to 108 here on a very hot day! ill mix 50/50! do I put any coolant in the overflow.. it appears empty

250rRoostmaster
04-09-2015, 07:36 AM
I run engine ice for coolant. I would check the condition of the reeds, air filter, change the trans oil and flush the coolant system and put in a new spark plug. Do you know the history besides that it was sitting for awhile? If not, a compression test will help determine if a top end is needed.

I've also heard very good things about the evans stuff.

BOB MARLIN
04-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Where you live you should run anti freeze. And the overflow tank should be about half full. Some folks don't run an overflow at all, but it does have a function.

wpginterceptor
04-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Yes ive done the air filter and I actually just drained the trans.. was a little bit silvery color. What best oil to put back in? and Im guessing to remove check cap and pour oil till it comes out of cap?

Racer-X
04-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Yeah it should be half or1/4 full. Make sure its even hooked up and run the bike. After the bike is hot it should rise. I had a kawi that always looked like there was just a tiny bit in the bottom until I ran it. Then it would rise to the full line.

wpginterceptor
04-09-2015, 08:30 PM
whats the best oil to use in the trans? what should it be?

deathman53
04-09-2015, 10:50 PM
further comment on the Evans....I use it on my atvs and dirtbikes. Its not a miracle coolant, infact it runs hotter and transfers less heat than 30/70 coolant/water and less than 50/50. But I use it as it doesn't boil very easily and I ride my dirtbikes in some tight places and it can be hot out, runs consistent and doesn't expand much. Where it find it works best is where regular coolant starts to boil, it keeps transferring heat, unlike regular that is just letting out steam and not transferring any heat. If you are doing a knarly hill climb and it happens to be near the end of tight trail, you are running hot already and now you are giving it alot gas and not going very fast, very likely to boil over and stop you in your tracks. With Evans, you can keep going, but beware you need to get moving at a decent place to get some air through the radiators or you will get hot to where you will have engine damage. Or....put on a radiator fan on a thermo-switch control to do the air flow for you. It will mask a overheating problem and extend situations where others boil over in the short term(Ie: knarly hill climb or tight trail). If you have a problem with it running hot consistantly, Evans or the other water-less coolants won't help you any. They will help for short term situations where many start to over-heat and keep you going on. I use it on my atvs, not because I need to or gain any benefit from it, I like to use the same thing on all my stuff. Less different stuff to carry/buy when I go riding.

250rRoostmaster
04-10-2015, 08:56 AM
Don't go by the drain bolt, go with what the manual states, use 750ML's on regular Trans Oil changes and 800ML's on new engine builds. I use bel-ray gear saver, Honda HP trans oil and shell rotalla T 15w40 and have had no problem with any of them.

Onetrackmind
04-10-2015, 09:20 AM

I did a search on this topic when I first joined. I quickly realized that this is a question with many right answers (everyone has a different view on this topic). The big takeaway I got was if using modern motor oil...make sure it is safe for wet clutches. Hope that helps.

hatc200x1
04-10-2015, 10:26 AM
For the transmission oil I have always had good luck running Amsoil 10w-40 transmission and engine oil, it is wet clutch approved. I always fill slowly until it starts to come out the oil check bolt.

wonderboy
04-10-2015, 10:38 AM
I think straight water as coolant is a bad idea. Anti-freeze provides corrosion protection to keep the system clean. Is there some reason you expect to be having overheating issues? Don't try to solve a problem you don't have. Go by the book (which specifies 50/50 mix) until you know that this doesn't work.

By the way, the "book" can you found here: http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php?dir=ATC250R%2F&download=atc250r_85-86_servicemanual.pdf

yaegerb
04-10-2015, 12:48 PM

Oil
.61 liters (.65 US Quarts) or 615 CC's. I've tried them all and had best results with Honda HP trans oil, 80W/85W. You can use the "watch the oil till it weeps out of the hole trick", but it puts too much oil in the case IMO. I measure mine dead nutz with a ratio rite.

Coolant
Prestone 50/50

YTZ drew
04-10-2015, 08:04 PM
I measure mine dead nutz with a ratio rite.
I do the same. Its amazing how much I use my ratio-rite. Everyone should own one!

Samjp22
04-12-2015, 11:35 AM
I run Honda HP trans oil and just changed my coolant with some Honda HP coolant pre mixed 50/50