PDA

View Full Version : 250es Chassis Rust.

atcmatt
04-06-2015, 12:39 AM
Hey guys went over my 250es over the weekend and discovered a bit of rust in the lower frame area. Mostly the bar that catches the rear engine mounts just ontop of the bashplate at the rear. It is got rust holes forming in it one as big as my pinky finger. I had this frame fully blasted and powder coated about 8 years ago and it has seen minimal use since then. I do a fair few river crossings on it from time to time. Has anyone experienced this and how have you gone about repairing it? I was just going to put some rust covertor in it and then fish oil? Should I have a gusset welded in or do you think it should be fine? Wish I had taken some pics! Thanks for any input.

Matt

tri again
04-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Happens with saltwater dune riders.
Saw 2 sx / es models that got packed with saltsand ONCE years ago and never
rinsed off.
The guy had welded a full 1/4" plate on the bottom of the frames, like a foot long.
Covered the bottom frame rot holes but still scary for me to buy them.
Sure looked super solid and stable.
I'd test weld something else as the thicknesses will be different.
Hate to burn through frame tubing.

I've used stuff called 'rack coating'
used to coat raw steel racks for concrete blocks that go into a steam oven, every
day for years.
Probably old technology and most likely impossible to remove.
I've been trying 'marine fogging oil' as a last resort for terminal rust altho I
do like phosphoric acid rust reformer type stuff.
The por 15 or whatever it is supposedly works too and ok for gas tanks too?
It would be nice to shove some smaller diameter pipe in the rotted frame tubes if it's even possible
and then weld a full bottom plate, if you can visualize what I'm trying to describe.

I was gonna offer you a powdercoated frame but just realized you're very far away.

I wonder if there are drain holes in the frame tubing now?
Gonna have to look as we go through a foot deep creekbed to get to the trails EVERYtime we ride.

atcmatt
04-10-2015, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the reply, yeah it does have drainholes. Mine were all gunked up with crap so i blew them all out with a pressure cleaner and then filled everything up with wd40. No crap in them now. I just wish i had done this earlier and my frame would not be as bad as it is. Its me just being over the top its not a big deal but I want to fix it properly. Think ill get a gusset welded in and just leave the pinky hole. Wont try weld it because i think it will just blow out. Just gotta regularly maintain the frame i.e clean out the drain holes and fill with wd 40 or fish oil. Maybe stop doing so many river crossings, which also give the poorly sealed drum brakes a short life. The frame has been powdercoated previously. I will do the repairs and most likely get it redone I think. Might even drill some more drain holes before it gets powdercoated. Gotta look after these old things now, not many around this neck of the woods. Thanks for your offer but yeah I am on the other side of the world!

Matt