PDA

View Full Version : current Atc market?

aldochina
04-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Just kinda looking for some respected views on the current market of NOS ATC parts mainly. It seems to be at an all time high, I am having trouble envisioning it getting to much higher. Is there a ceiling to this stuff? I am considering unloading a few things just for the fact that i bought them to use, and its to the point that it would almost be foolish to even mount some stuff on garage queens!! Tires especially concern me, as they dont last forever, and the best defense against dry cracking, and keeping them pliable is use! NOS or not, no one wants a dried out stiff tire! The set of take off forks for the 250r just sold for over a grand on ebay, and they are not NOS. I was unloading several sets in the last 2 yrs for 250-350 bucks!

I think I may just put up a few items with BIN's and let em ride for a few months! Thanks for your thoughts if you have any.

madmass
04-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Just kinda looking for some respected views on the current market of NOS ATC parts mainly. It seems to be at an all time high, I am having trouble envisioning it getting to much higher. Is there a ceiling to this stuff? I am considering unloading a few things just for the fact that i bought them to use, and its to the point that it would almost be foolish to even mount some stuff on garage queens!! Tires especially concern me, as they dont last forever, and the best defense against dry cracking, and keeping them pliable is use! NOS or not, no one wants a dried out stiff tire! The set of take off forks for the 250r just sold for over a grand on ebay, and they are not NOS. I was unloading several sets in the last 2 yrs for 250-350 bucks!

I think I may just put up a few items with BIN's and let em ride for a few months! Thanks for your thoughts if you have any.

I guess IMO that the market will inflate like everything else. I'm more into getting with people to swap parts for parts. I see more than ever here in Cali that people are buying up trikes just to strip them down and sell on EBay. In turn that raises the sellers price. I have 15 trikes and a container of parts that I don't plan on off loading but I'm always willing to trade with someone that's got the same additiction.

RIDE-RED 250r
04-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Don't think the market can go any higher??? Take a look at what Colt Python revolvers are SELLING for!! YIKES! Certain older S&W's are heading in the same direction, but about 5-10 years behind...

Granted, a larger number of individuals with more expendable income are into collecting firearms than trikes.. But my guess would be that more people age 30-50 are into collecting, rebuilding, and restoring old trikes than the younger folks. Many of the younger crowd get on trikes because they are just trying to piece something together to ride on a budget. Obviously there are exceptions..

But what I'm getting at is I would be more inclined to expect the market to continue to rise than to fall out. These machines aren't getting any younger and many parts just aren't being produced any more for those wishing to do true restorations. As supply diminishes and demand remains generally steady, the market and prices can really only go one direction, to a point.

Markets in general are difficult to predict despite some peoples' best efforts at doing so, and getting paid for it. I could be 100% wrong. ;)

yaegerb
04-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Economy is improving and disposable income spend is increasing. This is a niche market which increases and decreases depending on how much you have left after bills are paid. IMO, THIS market ebbs and flows with the economy like the ATV or Waverunner industry. Its at a good spot and only time will tell if the ceiling will raise on these parts.

3 Wheel Drive
04-01-2015, 06:34 PM
I say put all your rare goods up with BINs, with high reserves... It's really a win win situation, it's not like you can take em to the grave. I think everyone with NOS parts should post em up- it would just be fun to watch!

jrooster
04-02-2015, 05:24 AM
i never see deals like i used to on craigslist for trikes. only way to find a real deal is word of mouth.

bkvette3
04-02-2015, 05:54 AM
Along with ATCs' - I am also into the Corvette hobby. Just like the ATC addiction - it can be and is an expensive game to play. Rare Corvette NOS parts can sell for ridiculous prices.

aldochina
04-02-2015, 10:38 AM
lots of good insight, the only problem I have with trying to compare it to any other collectable item is that it just seems with this stuff its more of a generational thing if that makes any sense. Right now the people who grew up riding these are at that age where they are finacially in a good place, and young enough to still enjoy the hobby. Cars, guns, stuff like that will bridge generations, and can also be enjoyed at just about any age. cant see a guy over 65 or so still collecting atc's, not saying there arnt any,just seems like something you would be more apt to get out of at a certain age. Then look at the next generation who didnt grow up at all with ATC's, having the passion to drop the big bucks on this stuff, or care at all about it. Try to factor in the state of the world and where it will be in 5 yrs! Oh boy!! So to me it seems obvious the next 5-10 yrs or so will be the highest market if the economy holds and WWIII doesnt brake out. Maybe I am looking at it all wrong.

aldochina
04-02-2015, 10:41 AM
The barter idea is great madmass! that is how I ultimately hope to unearth a few of the parts I need.

yaegerb
04-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Right now the people who grew up riding these are at that age where they are finacially in a good place, and young enough to still enjoy the hobby.

Great point. Most early generation x individuals (I am a part of this statistic) were young during the craze. I for one am in a good spot where I can afford to not only buy the toys of my childhood dreams but either fix them up for the next race or dress it out as an OEM garage queen. This makes me wonder though.....when this tight age range of individuals are too old to ride or gone will the ATC survive? Again, only time will tell. Its more and more that I meet people and they didn't know such a crazy contraption even existed.

Onetrackmind
04-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Great point. Most early generation x individuals (I am a part of this statistic) were young during the craze. I for one am in a good spot where I can afford to not only buy the toys of my childhood dreams but either fix them up for the next race or dress it out as an OEM garage queen. This makes me wonder though.....when this tight age range of individuals are too old to ride or gone will the ATC survive? Again, only time will tell. Its more and more that I meet people and they didn't know such a crazy contraption even existed.

Yep, it is funny how few people that I know that have any knowledge of trikes either! Maybe it's just because I live in suburbia, but I can only count on one hand the number of guys that actually know what they are seeing when they look at my R. Most wouldnt know the difference between a Tecate and a Big Red and they are smack-dab in the age range that would have drooled over these things as a kid (like me).

Ghostv2
04-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Yep, it is funny how few people that I know that have any knowledge of trikes either! Maybe it's just because I live in suburbia, but I can only count on one hand the number of guys that actually know what they are seeing when they look at my R. Most wouldnt know the difference between a Tecate and a Big Red and they are smack-dab in the age range that would have drooled over these things as a kid (like me).

It's comes down to how much were you exposed to them as a kid. I am 21. Born in 1993. But I rode nothing but trikes since a toddler. As a baby I got rode around on my paps 85 200m he got new. My dad also got a 85 200s new which I still have to this day. Every year at the picnics we would get the trikes out and the kids would sit on the racks and ride them around. Then when I got older it came into my possession and it was my only ride. My dad never went out and bought me a single bike. I rode that trike until I could afford to buy my own. I owned a few other trikes then got a blaster. Broke my wrist on them square death traps and traded it for a 200x. Haven't owned a quad since. But have owned maybe 5 more trikes since. And here I am.

So back to the exposure thing. If you live in the city around the age when they faded out there is a very good chance you never even stood in front of one. If you live in an area like me where I can go out my backward and hit the trails, it's a different story. PA has a rusty trike in every barn and rotting away out in the bone yards.

Prices will only go up. Parts will become more scarce. Will there still be a buyer is the real question.

atc007
04-02-2015, 09:52 PM
lots of good insight, the only problem I have with trying to compare it to any other collectable item is that it just seems with this stuff its more of a generational thing if that makes any sense. Right now the people who grew up riding these are at that age where they are finacially in a good place, and young enough to still enjoy the hobby. Cars, guns, stuff like that will bridge generations, and can also be enjoyed at just about any age. cant see a guy over 65 or so still collecting atc's, not saying there arnt any,just seems like something you would be more apt to get out of at a certain age. Then look at the next generation who didnt grow up at all with ATC's, having the passion to drop the big bucks on this stuff, or care at all about it. Try to factor in the state of the world and where it will be in 5 yrs! Oh boy!! So to me it seems obvious the next 5-10 yrs or so will be the highest market if the economy holds and WWIII doesnt brake out. Maybe I am looking at it all wrong.

A former member here visited me a few years ago,And he quizzed the crap out of me making these very same points... I had never ,ever,given it any thought. He truly thought like you are, that it would be a very fine line to call for peek market value,and the demand going away. Much sooner than later... Most collectors I know that shell out the loony money,Want perfect,shiny stuff to look at. Don't care a bit about riding them, They have riders,but the bikes your NOS are going on are for display. Therefore,I think they will continue to grow in value. IMO, By far the best point in this post would be the worry about the state of affairs in this world 5 years from now... I have heard more than a few horror stories about ebay and it's fees lately. But having said that, I say throw some of the stuff on there with a crazy BIN and see if anything moves :)

3 Wheel Drive
04-03-2015, 12:14 AM
....... This makes me wonder though.....when this tight age range of individuals are too old to ride or gone will the ATC survive? Again, only time will tell. Its more and more that I meet people and they didn't know such a crazy contraption even existed.

I think the Atc will survive, yes it will. Before my boys turned 1 I got them some toys that they will never out grow:

When they get older I will get them to ride 250R's with their old man. When I was a kid my grandfather owned a large ranch in AK. He bought nearly every Honda they made & many utility trikes like dump truck models, sasquatch 340's, & a few others. My uncles rode Tecates, Tri Z's & 250rs.... Im also at that age where I can afford to buy nearly anything I want. Most of grandpas trikes still run even the Sasquatch.

onformula1
04-03-2015, 05:51 AM
I think it's a combo of-

OEM parts that are discontinued by manufacturers, the aftermarket turning its back on 3 wheelers, many companies going out of business or being bought out and changed away from 3 wheelers products. Less & less trikes on earth by the day. People are getting bored with quads and can't ride bikes. PWC & UTV's cost more than a nice new car or truck.

onformula1
04-03-2015, 05:53 AM
I think the Atc will survive, yes it will. Before my boys turned 1 I got them some toys that they will never out grow:

When they get older I will get them to ride 250R's with their old man. When I was a kid my grandfather owned a large ranch in AK. He bought nearly every Honda they made & many utility trikes like dump truck models, sasquatch 340's, & a few others. My uncles rode Tecates, Tri Z's & 250rs.... Im also at that age where I can afford to buy nearly anything I want. Most of grandpas trikes still run even the Sasquatch.

You are a very cool dad!

Congrats!

nstyle73
04-03-2015, 08:35 AM
I see a peak coming personally. I am probably on the younger end of the spectrum as far as age vs production time frame. As stated, the NOS stuff is going on collector bikes a lot of the time and generally speaking, collector bikes are owned by those with disposable income. Also, generally, disposable income comes with age. So, assuming the peak interested parties are those that grew up riding trikes either during production or within 10 years of the cessation, most diehards are probably between 25-50 years old. At some point, priorities change, retirement, health etc and there will be less demand. There will always be guys buying as investments, collecting, but I see a decrease in demand as the trike population ages and the demand decreases. So fixed pricing may be the ticket rather than the current bidding wars that have taken place on NOS fenders and tires lately. Just my two cents.