PDA

View Full Version : engine cover paint methods

hitmeup760
03-22-2015, 08:41 PM
What do you guys use to paint your engine covers, is it powder coat, engine paint, heat treated paint, what method is best to use or is most popular?

phantomtracer
03-22-2015, 08:57 PM
I just glass beaded the cases and was going to paint them with a semigloss black paint to match the factory finish on a kxt. I am using vht paint. Don't really need high temp paint but the vht is supposed to hold up to oil and gas.

hitmeup760
03-23-2015, 01:13 PM
That's what I was going to do but will I need to replace the gaskets when I remove the covers or can I just use the sames ones if not so I can order a gasket kit while I'm in the process of painting the covers.

Scootertrash
03-23-2015, 02:18 PM
I would replace the gaskets. I personally never reuse gaskets with one caveat:

If the gasket has been greased so that it doesn't stick to the engine parts and rip little chunks off I will reuse them as long as they look good.

So.... put a coat of grease one each side of your gaskets before you reinstall them. They typically don't stick when you have to disassemble the next time. I'm not saying it's 100% fool proof, but it has worked for me in the instances I have done it.

Use care when you clean old gasket material off of engine case surfaces. I bought a 100 pack of single edged razor blades. I use one to scrape the gasket material off then I throw it out. The edge of the blade gets damaged and then you are damaging the gasket surface. You should not need to use silicone on gaskets unless it is called for by the gasket manufacturer of the factory. Use HondaBond, ThreeBond, or YamaBond for mating case parts that have no gasket, like some crankcases, recoil covers and rocker boxes.

dman10
03-23-2015, 02:19 PM
You typically have to replace the gaskets. And you better off replacing them anyways. If they leaked after putting it back together you'd have to take it apart again.

hitmeup760
03-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Ok I just ordered a complete gasket kit incase I ever decide to rebuild the top end later, where can I get the Yama bond or hondabond?

wonderboy
03-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Honda dealerships will carry Hondabond. Yamaha dealerships will carry Yamabond. Most dealerships I go to deal with all of them, and have both products available.

FYI: Unless your mating surfaces are chewed up, don't use sealant on them. There are very few places where sealant is called for. Sometimes it is used in place of a gasket such as on the cylinder head cover of the 350x. For your side covers of your motor, don't use it. If you have nasty gouges in the surfaces, spend time with a stone or file and smooth it.

And if you can afford it, nothing will hold up like powder. Paint can be made very tough and durable, but I think it is still second place in durability to powder.