PDA

View Full Version : Old Helm & Son ad

Daddio
03-18-2015, 09:29 PM
It's a shame stuff like this isn't still readily available. :drool:
I scanned this from a 1981 3Wheeling magazine. Cool stuff!!! :cool:

Jwheeler
03-18-2015, 09:45 PM
It would be nice to pay those prices again. Let along to be able to walk in or call and order what you want. We live in a different time now. I've talked to Lee Helm , about all the left over parts and items from those days. All the stuff went to different places. Now days Helm LLC. builds parts for military aircraft and other aerospace companies. Believe me I've gotten all the old ATC parts that Lee has at his house years ago. Thank you Daddio for this post. :D

onformula1
03-19-2015, 01:51 AM
I really miss that shop. Fun times hanging there.

atc300r
03-19-2015, 09:32 AM
That is cool stuff. I like the info about making a 250r a 431 cc.

Joseph Farrow
03-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Evans Honda and Racing Head Service are right in my back yard.....
Used to race against all of the guys out of Evans Honda. They have been gone for many years. They sold a lot of H&S products. I would bet there are boxes of cylinder and strokers sitting in someone's back room or attack waiting to be found. :)

robertc
03-19-2015, 10:27 AM
How about the Nitrous Oxide systems for sale.

cosmohawk
03-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Those old days gone by...sad to see the way things are going.
Probably why I have become so nostalgic as of late...

Daddio
03-19-2015, 09:03 PM
I'm just amazed at how many different things were available. 130cc kits for an atc70!!! People were pretty hard core back then.
Back in the late 70's early 80's I was living in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. I worked to ski and party. 3wheelers weren't a big interest in my life until 85' after my son was born. I never thought about building any kind of hopped up 3wheeler back then, I was just happy tooling around on the old hardtails. These days it's my number one hobby and all of this stuff is harder to find and more expensive by the day. Oh well, here's to the good old days!!! :beer

onformula1
03-20-2015, 12:29 AM
Those old days gone by...sad to see the way things are going.
Probably why I have become so nostalgic as of late...

I went by the building the other day and its a mess, that whole are is a wreck these days. It looked a lot better back in the day.

I read my Helm & Sons catalog so many times my mom cut it up, laminated it and put it in a 3 ring binder because it was falling apart.

Does anyone know who did the porting?

Joseph Farrow
03-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Well got my investigative juices flowing......

Ran down one of the original mechanics from Evan's Honda (Doug). Asked about any old Helm & Son parts stash that may exist.....
He shot down my hopes.....said they sold everything they had (cams, pipes, cranks, cylinders, piston kits and a lot of other stuff) to a guy in Australia about 20 years ago.....
I'm guessing GREENHUMAN. Now I can scratch that one off my list. Owe well. Just have to keep turning over stones. :)