PDA

View Full Version : swingarm bearings 85 200x

jrooster
03-08-2015, 01:32 AM
when i grab the rear grab bar on my trike i can rock it left to right without the tires ever moving and the whole bike moves side to side. it looks like there is a lot of slop in the rear axle carrier. would i just need something like this? or are there more parts im going to have to order? also im seeing bearings listed for "rear axle bearings" and "rear wheel bearings" would this be the same thing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC200X-1983-1985-Rear-Axle-Bearings-And-Seals-ATC-200X-/170887527835?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c9b0bd9b&vxp=mtr

also, anyone have any experience with these bearings? thanks

fieldy
03-08-2015, 03:12 AM
I would buy a bearing/seal kit, disassemble your's and see what you got. You may need a carrier and I know the 86 has big o-rings that go around the carrier, not sure about 85 though.I used Honda for new parts but that was about 15 years ago.

ironchop
03-08-2015, 12:08 PM
You never know what all you will need until you take it all apart. Buy the bearings and seals for sure but dont be surprised if the bearing spacer is trashed too. Ive had to replace two spacers and once the outer races wallowed out the swingarm so bad they bearings and seals would fall back out easily after you installed them. That's worst case scenario. Bearing spacer being chewed up is more common and a worn spacer will cause new bearings to fail very quickly.

YTZ drew
03-08-2015, 12:24 PM
If the bearing spacer is sloppy in between the old bearings, knock out one bearing and the spacer, then put the bearing back in. Measure in between the 2 bearings to figure out the necessary spacer width, then make a new spacer out of 1.25" black iron pipe- the ID is perfect, fits better than stock! I just had to do this on mine, the required width was 4.134", but if your swingarm is worn you may need a different dimension.

jrooster
03-11-2015, 01:50 PM
How did you guys get these bearings out? They are froze rock solid even with heat. I have a press at work but am bot sure how it would work as i can only push on the inner race.

ironchop
03-11-2015, 03:07 PM
after I pulled the axle, I stuck a slightly smaller piece of wooden broom handle thru one bearing and angled it till it hits the inside of the other bearing, smack with deadblow hammer a few times and it came out. Repeat the other side (now you have way more room to bang it out)

yaegerb
03-11-2015, 03:50 PM
How did you guys get these bearings out? They are froze rock solid even with heat. I have a press at work but am bot sure how it would work as i can only push on the inner race.

Lots of heat, a MAPP should be fine. Get the carrier hot as hell, then I use a blind hole puller. Couple tugs with that and they come right out.

oscarmayer
03-11-2015, 05:30 PM
I used the spacer and welded to the inside of it a big bolt. then use a 6lb hand sledge to pound it out.
I typically replace the spacers a lot as well, so i keep this tool around for the sides that are stuck.