PDA

View Full Version : tri-z owners will know exactly what this is

muthey
02-28-2015, 04:57 PM
For the second time around now I have made this gasket first time wasn't quite right didn't have the right dimensions, but now that I do, I decided to make a proper one out of 316 stainless steel. To hell with yamaha and their discontinued products. I even improved on their design by making the bottom lip thicker to allow slightly more spring tension and a better seal. Enjoy the eye candy.211316211317211318

muthey
02-28-2015, 05:52 PM
I might be willing to make more in steel , or stainless for a little more in price if there is enough demand for them. Steel takes a half hour to make stainless takes an hour as I have to cool it to hold tolerances.

3 Wheel Drive
02-28-2015, 08:09 PM
I'll take 3 of them SS or steel.

muthey
02-28-2015, 08:27 PM
ok I feel after researching what they used to cost that 20$ for regular steel, and 25$ for stainless seems reasonable for them plus 5$ shipping which orders of multiples would be combined shipping, which is half the price partzilla wanted for them when they were available, so everyone interested let me know and I will get to work and get them ready to ship. Brandon

onformula1
03-01-2015, 03:06 AM
IMHO stainless is cool, but mild steel will seal better because it is more malleable.

I believe they were mild steel from the factory, I could be wrong it's been a while.

muthey
03-01-2015, 12:23 PM
they were mild steel originally, I had a partial one that I made my print off of. I don't feel it will make much difference between mild steel or 316 ss, as the stainless will actually heat up and conform faster than mild steel will. I wanted to try stainless on my Z this time as I wanted a gasket that won't rust and is chemical resistant. If I find that it will not seal, then I'll just make them out of mild steel and leave it at that. I will be checking it out sometime today seeing as I just woke up and have some other things to do first. I do appreciate your thoughts on the different metals onformula1, as it did give me something to think about, it may turn out that making them out of tubular aluminum is the best results I don't know yet we'll see

IMHO stainless is cool, but mild steel will seal better because it is more malleable.

I believe they were mild steel from the factory, I could be wrong it's been a while.

christph
03-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Do you know if it will work with the DG pipe? I've tried my own solution and it works fine but not great. I'd like a better seal. If it will work with the DG pipe put me down for one.

muthey
03-01-2015, 05:32 PM
I have a stock pipe on mine but if you measured the depth of the seal lip on you pipe where this seal will go I can compare for you, The nice thing is I can make the lip where the replaceable gasket goes as thick as needed to add tension to the springs for a better seal. I would like to assume they will work for your dg pipe, but I would need to have one here to see if it will fit inside the lip, or if you could measure the id of the pipe lip with a pair of dial calipers for me I could tell you whether standard stock size will fit or if I would have to make it different.

3 Wheel Drive
03-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Raffa was making these a while back, I'm not sure how they turned out? http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/153164-Tri-Z-discontinued-Exhaust-Gasket-R-amp-D

muthey
03-01-2015, 10:07 PM
I thought jeswineheart was making them there for a while too but I never heard whether they made him or not

muthey
03-01-2015, 10:18 PM
He was using a punch and die for his mine are made out of 1077 solid circle round stock on a lathe. Either way will work mine are just guaranteed to be symmetrically round. I'll have to Facebook Raffa and see where he's got with his

jeswinehart
03-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Nope, not me.

onformula1
03-01-2015, 10:49 PM
I have tried aluminum on some past bikes, they will seal, but the vibration beats the crap out of them to the point where they will split apart.

muthey
03-01-2015, 11:59 PM
I have tried aluminum on some past bikes, they will seal, but the vibration beats the crap out of them to the point where they will split apart.

well the stainless one sealed up great so that is an option will keep running it and see if at some point it starts leaking on me, but for anyone who is interested let me know through a pm, and how many and whether stainless or regular steel, like what was posted above 20 for steel 25 for stainless and 5$ for shipping in the lower US and if you buy more than one I will still only charge 5$ for shipping as all will ship out in a usps small flat rate box unless I have to use more than one box. These will be going into the part section soon as well, just wanted to see the interest for them first.

muthey
03-09-2015, 12:30 AM
ok first five of these have been machined and shipped any more takers for some let me know I am awaiting approval for the store to start selling them out of there. I will be happy to make more as I am now needing to do a complete rebuild of my tri-z it siezed the lower rod bearing and made a nice mess for me. Ring were fine, only thing I can think of is that the oil I changed to was some how not getting down to the rod and crank bearings. I was running amsoil dominator at 32:1 ratio and it was broke in on yamalube r at 32:1 ratio when I got it. All I can say for advice to other z owners is if you hear a bearing hum coming from the bottom end open it up immediately and check to see if you are getting oil down there. I wasn't sure what it was at first as I had the exhaust leaking from the pipe around there from the day I bought it, and on someone elses video on here they had the same noise so I thought all was well. Wish I could remember who's vid it was.

onformula1
03-09-2015, 12:35 AM
Keep in mind, not all premixes have the same viscosity or burn rate.

In other words- Some times jetting changes are needed when changing premixes.

3 Wheel Drive
03-11-2015, 12:20 AM
These fit my Jemco like a glove, if you own a tri z I'd recommend getting some. The Jemco I have has a large opening that will seal up nicely now. My other pipes fit very tight without having to use one. Heres a few pics:

Thanks for taking the time to make them.

ATC-Eric
03-11-2015, 03:14 PM
What about one with a couple o-ring's on the outside of that gasket? Would something like that be possible?

christph
03-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Did you say you were going to start selling these in the 3-wheeler store?

muthey
03-12-2015, 02:51 PM
that is the plan I am just waiting for account approval for the store, however they are still available through me direct till then. I believe o-rings would melt for this application, also the gasket itself is only .020" thick on the sides so there really is nowhere to put an o-ring

muthey
09-17-2015, 08:49 PM
the gaskets are in the store, also there is an available option for dg pipe owners that I will be adding on them very soon as the dg pipe is deeper than others. and there is a new part available as well called the hook spring better known as the third pipe spring tab. Which is another part no longer available from yamaha. Here is a couple of pictures for everyone.221756221757221758 The third pic shows the modified gasket for the DG pipes, so far I have been asking if that is the pipe people are running but soon that variation will just be available like the others in the store.

El Camexican
09-18-2015, 08:06 AM
I'd love to buy one of these collars to suit a Jemco pipe, but the 3WW store seems opposed to the transaction.

- Navigate to the part
- Try to type '"1" into the box on the left side of the "add to cart" box and nothing happens (can't get a number to appear) Try other numbers, nothing comes up.
- Click the "add to cart", nothing happens
- Go to my cart, message says I have nothing in my cart
- Repeat, repeat, repeat

Been screwing with this for over an hour now. Short of Billy chiming in with a "how to for idiots" tutorial is there some way I can buy one of these off you other than from the store?

muthey
03-29-2016, 01:59 AM
I needed to put in a updates for these bad boys, I have been laid off job attached since september and doing my own atv repair business which has been pretty successful. I am finally getting my own personal lathe and will start popping them out again. So for anyone looking for them be watching the store as they will become available as soon as my lathe gets here.

AK47KID
03-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Think you'll machine more parts in the future?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

muthey
03-30-2016, 01:54 AM
with just a lathe parts are kinda limited, however after the lathe pays for itself which will happen fast, as I have a bunch of requests for the tri-z gaskets I will then purchase a mill and many more things can be made as well. What are you looking for?

muthey
04-09-2016, 03:53 AM
adding another update to this. I have my lathe and tooling in another week my material will show up and the gaskets will start being made again. Keep checking with the store when I have them they will be added and for sale again, unfortunately until I have a much bigger lathe or decent amount of funding for it there will be no 316 s.s. ones, only steel.

AK47KID
04-14-2016, 01:59 AM
Oh, some brackets so i don't have to weld these ammo cans to the rack and have the luxury of being able to take them off and put them back on with ease. I might just have to make them myself.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160414/3d7317020a7444978b228babaa388dfa.jpg

with just a lathe parts are kinda limited, however after the lathe pays for itself which will happen fast, as I have a bunch of requests for the tri-z gaskets I will then purchase a mill and many more things can be made as well. What are you looking for?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk